It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landlord fined for threatening to call ICE on tenant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
gothamist.com...

A Queens landlord has been fined $17,000 for threatening to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on a late-paying tenant. Although the city’s human-rights law legally classifies threatening to call ICE as unlawful discrimination, the case is one of a kind. ............and wasn’t legally authorized to be in the U.S. (Per the ruling, she has since gotten a green card.)

This is nuts.. Only in America do illegal folks have more rights than legal citizens.

I have a question... If the tenant was illegal and the landlord knew, and the tenant did something awful (use your imagination) could the landlord then be held accountable? This ruling just seems crazy to me. Maybe I have a thick skin. I didn't think the landlord was doing anything too bad. She just wanted the rent money. If the tenant just freaking paid I don't think there would be a problem.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

laws only apply to those that follow them...

second line

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

He should have kept his mouth shut and just called ICE anonymously. Could have gotten the tenant out without the cost of filing for eviction. Just another of the plethora of reasons not to move to NY.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Police (investigations) and Prosecution (DA, Court) often use deportability for leverage in case negotiations, even though the first thing they say (like lawyers) is your legal status in US is irrelevant.

not surprised this would be even more common in mere civil cases, if someone is here illegally, what OTHER federal felonies are they committing or planning that u don't know about yet?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

It's Queens though.

The landlord should have already known that she doesn't have the same rights as an illegal alien anymore where she lives.

Perhaps she should sell her properties (if she can) and move to a red state (but don't take her politics with her.)

People are going to have to start voting with their feet.

Starve the left out.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   
who gets the 17k

victim or city/county?

and how did they calculate 17k.. some judge conjured it up?

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tulsi

Crony fees sure are inflating.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Next time, instead of threatening to call ICE, just call ICE. The landlord wanted his money, he didn't want an illegal to be deported. For this reason, I don't feel bad for him. He was knowingly harboring illegal aliens.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

So...??

Somebody didn't follow the law and got a fine. Big surprise. What are we outraged about?

Peace

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I'm conflicted... if the landlord knew they were illegal, why was she profiting from this?

And only when payments were due, did she threaten this?

Can't say I'm fussed about the outcome. But people like her are the reason there are kids growing up with illegal status behind them... Surprised she wasn't also charged with harbouring an illegal immigrant.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

So...??

Somebody didn't follow the law and got a fine. Big surprise. What are we outraged about?

Peace

I'm sure its a well known law by all...lol

I wonder if it works the other way too as in if you were breaking the law and I threatenI would call the police on you, is that in the same law as this?

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Sue the City . Maybe Jay Sekulow if you have Enough Cash Would Win that Case for you in a Heartbeat ..........

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The rent was not paid for almost a year and made the landlord lose her house due to unpaid mortgage.
She not only lost her house, but now has to pay 17k$ to an illegal alien that lived in her property rent free.

She didn't extort him, or asked anything else more than to just pay what he owes her. She did attempt to start an eviction process but that evidently took too long and she ended up losing the house during so.

In all seriousness, this is as close to a dystopia as it can get. Take a step back and think of how many options did she have? She obviously did NOT want to call ICE, only use it as a deterrent for him to just get out of her property so she can have another person move in and actually pay rent.

Nothing but a solely political ruling by the judge. Anyone who supports this outcome is just brainless and evil.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

That is seriously messed up.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

This is one of those cases where I feel that taking matters on your on hands should still be within the law, like defending yourself against someone that's trying to kill you

Other countries allow for it easily

And this person knew that they could take advantage of the landlord and abused the situation

The landlord should have the rights to hire a team of people + security and take the *ass*oles the hell out of that house, with no repercussions

There are limits of decency for everything, and I can't believe the law sided with the criminal, I'm out of words here

The case reflects the rise in anti-immigrant sentiment since Donald Trump’s election. Though the ruling is unique, there have been many other reported instances of landlords making similar threats, in New York and elsewhere. In 2017, Citylab reported that “landlords across California are threatening to report undocumented tenants to immigration authorities.” In one particularly galling example from that story, a landlord threatened deportation against a single mother of three if she did not sign a rent increase.

This part of the article is more messed up than the actual story LMFAO!

The case reflects the rise in anti-immigrant sentiment since Donald Trump’s election

Agenda much?

In one particularly galling example from that story, a landlord threatened deportation against a single mother of three if she did not sign a rent increase.

Completely different crime and has nothing to do with what the other person did

Oh well

edit on 23-9-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Landlords knowingly rent to illegal immigrants all the time in every state.

Companies knowingly hire them all the time in every state.

Citizens knowingly allow them to build and roof their homes, tend to their landscaping, and hire them as day labor.

"Illegal immigrants bad" for the a majority of America, including many of those so loudly proclaiming such, is all about fake outrage and buzz words, with very little interest in follow through. The guy with the Trump 2020 sign in his yard doesn't care that the roofing crew fixing his storm damage includes illegal immigrants. He just wants a new roof without having to pay that deductible. Oh, he may tell his friends over a beer about how he's certain they were here illegally, but he also smiled and thanked the roofing company once the job was complete.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

in this case - the landlord is a nidiot - he knew he had an illegal imigrant tennant - but hey - no probs - UNTILL the money flow stopped - then he " discovered " his moral resonsibility

sorry - doesnt work that way

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
Landlords knowingly rent to illegal immigrants all the time in every state.

Companies knowingly hire them all the time in every state.

Citizens knowingly allow them to build and roof their homes, tend to their landscaping, and hire them as day labor.

"Illegal immigrants bad" for the a majority of America, including many of those so loudly proclaiming such, is all about fake outrage and buzz words, with very little interest in follow through. The guy with the Trump 2020 sign in his yard doesn't care that the roofing crew fixing his storm damage includes illegal immigrants. He just wants a new roof without having to pay that deductible. Oh, he may tell his friends over a beer about how he's certain they were here illegally, but he also smiled and thanked the roofing company once the job was complete.

I think a lot of what you have said is very true. If we really wanted to stop illegals we would just have to punish the people doing business with them more harshly. I don't blame individuals, it is not normal business to ask a person if they are legal or not when they are fixing your roof. You expect the roofing company to follow the laws. It is the businesses that should be responsible. Same with this landlord, he/she should have E- Verify & and done a comprehensive background check before renting to that tenant. I do believe if someone is doing something illegally a landlord should have the right to report it.

top topics

join