It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Democrats reveal their drug plan. . . . socialized pharmaceuticals

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: DBCowboy

As long as the trillionaires and billionaires pay their fair share of taxes as opposed to zero taxes to pay for it then I'm all for it!!!

What percent of total taxes is their fair share?

What does that have to do with increasing the cost of medicine for people who already can't afford it?

Basically what the government is doing is forcing drug companies to follow strict protocols that cost about $1 billion to bring a drug to market. They then tell the company they have to charge the same price in America as they charge in other countries that don't care about innovation because it is not done there, so they set prices low.

Then they also say companies need to follow government controls on 25 medications, meaning no one will be able to afford this except the largest of drug companies, and it will be almost impossible for smaller/new companies to compete that don't have a slew of drugs under their belt to work with already.

The result will possibly be drug companies simply not selling drugs in those cheap markets, meaning those places will simply sell their own generic versions. That means loss of sales to Pharmaceutical companies, who will need to make it up charging more.

Any way you slice it, I can't see this being helpful.
edit on 21-9-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: JON666

I remember when not having insurance was the norm, companies didn't always offer it.

I also remember bakelite phones.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: JON666

I remember when not having insurance was the norm, companies didn't always offer it.

I also remember bakelite phones.

I remember pre aids sex too.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

They already have more sway on our politicians' policies with their donations than we do with our votes so why not let them continue running roughshod over the Constitution and the population? I mean, they provide the jobs! How dare anyone question their motives! Plus, I'm going to be a millionaire one day too, how dare anyone try to take a slice of my nonexistent pie! I'd be spending a lot of money to influence policy, I deserve that money that I'm totally not stealing from other people! If you want to influence policy too then pick yourself up by the bootstraps and get to working your life away!

Geez, the nerve of some people to question the motives of those undermining our political process! They worked hard to bend the rules in their own favor!
edit on 9/21/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The solution is not more bad laws to make people have good feels that create more problems and fix nothing.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Right? The solution is to give those undermining or Democracy a permanent tax break. It's not like they used their lobbyists to have that piece of legislation passed. No way! They won it fair and square! We all know that trillion dollars will trickle down eventually, just don't pay any attention to the huge wealth gap that continues to grow every year, that's not important. That trickle I feel on my head is most definitely rain! No doubt about it.
edit on 9/21/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Logical fallacy. Again, the solution is not another good feels bad law that fixes nothing.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Like I said, the solution is to give them a permanent tax break. They're hurting so badly for money, even more than the millions who live paycheck to paycheck. That yacht isn't going to buy itself you know.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
There is a huge degree of inequity when it comes to drug prices.

The difference between US and say Canadian prices is staggering and unacceptable. While the example of insulin is one thing, the number of people needing it will also keep prices in check.

Its the limited use drugs that get out of reach.

I understand that Drug companies take huge $$$$$ risks in developing drugs and should be able to recoup costs But I'm at a loss as to why they are cheaper in other countries

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
. . . But I'm at a loss as to why they are cheaper in other countries

Because other countries don't have to invest in the R&D to develop the drug(s) and push it through a 5 to 7 year FDA pipeline.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Its not that they are cheaper at least that's not what the Canadians I just discussed that with today said. I think it's just less obvious because your payment is in taxes that it's not as noticed. They were very adament that healthcare in the US is cheaper than Canada and faster too.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

www.cnbc.com... well trump wants to import drugs from canada to get access to cheaper drugs

The Trump administration outlined on Wednesday a proposal that would allow the U.S. to legally import cheaper prescription drugs from Canada, a tactic the U.S. pharmaceutical industry and regulators have warned could threaten consumer safety. Under the plan, states, wholesalers and pharmacists, acting as intermediaries for consumers, would draft a proposal for safe importation of prescription drugs already available in the U.S. The groups would then submit the proposal to the Food and Drug Administration for approval. “President Trump has been clear: for too long American patients have been paying exorbitantly high prices for prescription drugs that are made available to other countries at lower prices,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. “Today’s announcement outlines the pathways the administration intends to explore to allow safe importation of certain prescription drugs to lower prices and reduce out of pocket costs for American patients.”
i do forsee a few problems with this as canada has roughly 50 million people (california has more or close to more population then canada) so unless they ramped up drug production to meet us demands then canada could see shortfalls of drugs for their health care providers and population

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Other countries with socialized care have one buyer - government. Government makes the law on what they will pay. It's a monopoly market in the main, so if drug companies want to do business there, they either accept the terms of the monopoly market or they don't do any business.

Generally, the government buys in bulk, does not buy the latest drugs or very limited quantities of those, and caps their price but because they understand the drug company will walk at a certain threshold, they will still pay something. The company on the other hand, shifts costs back to other companies like hospitals do to compensate for the "free" users of the ER.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Wardaddy454

If you want to continue believing that your vote matters more than a few hundred thousand dollars in donations then go for it, still doesn't change the fact that both parties are in bed with the establishment, the very same establishment that will use that new trillion dollar tax cut to bribe our politicians even more. You don't get to the presidential primaries without licking establishment boots much like you don't get corporate promotions by going against corporate wishes. They're all corrupt, I don't let a certain party blind me to that fact like you and many others.

Vote in one hand and put a hundred thousand dollars in the other and see which fills up faster.

I wonder when you'll wake up to the fact that you have false hope? Never it seems, ignorance is bliss. 🤣

What an infantile thought process. "The system is rigged, we should just do nothing and let it continue".

That accomplishes so much. And you wanna call me out? You probably don't vote, so what do you do, other than sit at the computer herp derping the same old shtick. You're a complain artist.

It took generations to reach this point, and it will take generations to change it. Gotta start at some point. It's a shame you don't have the intestinal fortitude for that, it seems. I feel sorry for you having to carry all that sad cynicism around.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Basically the world uses the US to subsidize innovation. Someone has to pay for all the failed drugs and the $1 billion it takes for the drug that succeeds. But the US also uses more generics than some other countries which evens it out some.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Right? The solution is to give those undermining or Democracy a permanent tax break. It's not like they used their lobbyists to have that piece of legislation passed. No way! They won it fair and square! We all know that trillion dollars will trickle down eventually, just don't pay any attention to the huge wealth gap that continues to grow every year, that's not important. That trickle I feel on my head is most definitely rain! No doubt about it.

And yet wages are up and unemployment is down. What, you expect to be handed CEO money? Get off the computer and go work for it.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Like I said, the solution is to give them a permanent tax break. They're hurting so badly for money, even more than the millions who live paycheck to paycheck. That yacht isn't going to buy itself you know.

Spoken like someone that doesn't have an inkling of what running a business entails.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Basically the world uses the US to subsidize innovation. Someone has to pay for all the failed drugs and the $1 billion it takes for the drug that succeeds. But the US also uses more generics than some other countries which evens it out some.

The R&D cost is not nearly as astronomical as we would all be lead to believe by the big pharma world. It's a convenient retort (good job being a trooper for big pharma, btw) that makes no sense once you look at the profits that are being incurred. You make it sound like they are just getting by.

Just take a look at the top 50 best performing companies in the world... all your favorite drug companies are on there. Making all the best profits from people not getting better.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

You are right. They claim it takes $2bn to make a drug to market, it only costs about $1bn.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: DBCowboy

As long as the trillionaires and billionaires pay their fair share of taxes as opposed to zero taxes to pay for it then I'm all for it!!!

There are no trillionaires.

And a vast majority of drugs made today have ingredients insourced from China.

House democrats plans is nine kinds of STU and PID.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join