It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The circle of life country version

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
We've had a terrible time with ground squirrels in our yard. They were tearing up our septic mound, digging by our house, putting holes everywhere.

I did not want to poison them because we have birds of prey, even an American eagle, and they often get poisoned from eating the dead carcasses.
We decided to use repellent (it doesn't work by the way) We spent a big chunk of money to make our yard smell like mint, garlic and flowers, only to have what seemed like even more ground squirrels. These suckers do two things, dig holes and make babies. One day there was a ground squirrel outside giving my dog the middle finger. Yes my dog is scared of them. I knew it was inevitable, we would have to get traps or do something.... or the bucket of death. Please don't ask, it is too terrible.

Just as I was about to buy traps a big ol' fluffy cat strolled into our yard. He was sitting by the septic tanks. One by one, that cat was killing the ground squirrels. He would leave and come back. Over and over. One day while he was out there was a huge falcon flying overhead. The cat scurried off. I thought, how ironic would it be if the falcon ate the cat? By this point almost all our ground squirrels are gone an I'm even more mad about buying all of that repellent. But wait, was that "repellent" actually catnip?? I don't see the cat anymore, I figured he got all the squirrels and moved on.

Then I read it...... A neighbor posted that someone shot her outdoor cat in the leg... yup, the little guy that was helping us out.
I hope whoever did that gets infested with ground squirrels!

edit on 20-9-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Back when the kids were young we had a squirrel problem, so my solution was to give the kids each a pump pellet gun and turn them loose. It worked extremely well and the kids learned how to kill, clean and cook squirrels (and rabbits) so when and if TSHTF they will always be able to feed themselves and their families. I call that a win!

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I've been having all hell with raccoons.
Maybe I should get a pet puma.

join