It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is SCARY!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is a pretty terrifying video!

It's certainly very sad to listen to as well, but the truly scary part is just how long it goes on before someone intervenes and comes to her aid.

Summary for those who can't watch the video: This is a video with audio of an FAA Air Traffic Controller at KLAS (Las Vegas) apparently suffering a stroke while controlling aircraft at McCarran International. The video is just under 14 minutes long, but according to reports the situation actually went on for over 40 minutes.

It sad to hear her struggle to continue to do her job. Near the end you can hear she's at her wits end and practically in tears because she knows something is wrong.

From what I've been able to gather she was an accomplished and excellent controller. Apparently she is no longer with the FAA.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wow, that was both amazing to listen to and also quite hard, just shows how a stroke can creep up on you like that.

If the guy who walked in hadn't had walked in, would the pilots have had to land themselves? Or what happens when all communication is lost between tower and aircraft and its a busy day?

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I could have sworn we talked about this when it happened. But yes, it was pretty concerning. More so because it was not a stroke...

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

It wasn't???

I didnt see that. Do you have a source?

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Erm, sort of.

An ATC who talks to me, yes.

If you want a link then, Vegas Review Journal

You'll have to connect a few dots.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Can you just say what it was if it wasn't a stroke? Something was seriously wrong there and I don't understand why you would beat around the bush is all.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlbBlack

It was treated as a disciplinary incident and not a purely medical incident. And she chose to resign shortly after. That's about all there is to be said.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'd not heard of this one before but the video is from at least 10th Nov 2018. The Vegas Review Journal posted above is from 13th Nov 2018 so not recent.

Still, thanks for posting the vid.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ah, so a "chemical stroke". Got it.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

ah thanks for the reply I was just wondering what was up as that job can probably be a bit stressful at times.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
She's by far the best....in a rough traffic place.....the way she used her volume in her voice sped up the comm.

Others try to emulate.....she is famous

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Yeah, I guess I have to stand corrected. I was giving her the benefit of the doubt (odd for me, I know).

Upon some further reading the FAA had posted her picture all around their facilities notifying people to bar her from entering shortly afterwards. That, coupled with the fact she resigned less than a week after the incident looks like there was more to it than just a medical. One website I saw said she tested out at a .32 bac and had just returned from a 30 day stint in rehab following a 2nd DUI.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Moohide

They'd do like they did, and clear themselves, and make in the blind calls with their position and where they were going. It's not safe by any stretch, but as a temporary measure it can work.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

"Somebody out there that knows what they're doing?"

What a d-bag!

She's obviously having a stroke. Hope he gets social media shamed... He actually deserves it.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moohide

Wow, that was both amazing to listen to and also quite hard, just shows how a stroke can creep up on you like that.

If the guy who walked in hadn't had walked in, would the pilots have had to land themselves? Or what happens when all communication is lost between tower and aircraft and its a busy day?

It becomes an uncontrolled airport with the tower frequency used as a "Common Traffic Advisory Frequency" or CTAF. The pilots control themselves just as they do at the 20,000 other non-towered airports in the U.S. Pilots are capable of landing an aircraft without someone talking to them.

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Word is it wasn't a stroke.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'll accept that but still. From the sounds of it, it seems like she is. Based on what I've seen and heard before, that would have been my first guess. I'll accept that she was wasted.

Though, It's such an asshat thing to say... That pilot didn't know wth was happening. He just assume she didn't know what she was doing.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

There are plenty of pilot-controlled or partially towered airfields that see frequent jet traffic, including one that I fly out of pretty frequently. It's not fun, but I'm sure every one of the flight crews involved had at least a little experience dealing with jets in pilot-controlled airspace, even if they weren't the ones flying them.

edit on 23-9-2019 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

Yeah, but how many of those see either the large aircraft, or peak numbers of an airport like Las Vegas? Twenty five or 30 small aircraft a day is slightly different than 15-20,000 landings a month.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I didn't say that it would be easy or fun, lol. Just that there *are* some airports in the US that are non-towered and still see a fairly healthy amount of business jet traffic.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join