It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask old people stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Tonight I was talking to my elderly mother.
I mentioned making certain dumplings and how difficult they were and that I was just going to buy them.

She asks me if she ever told me how the dumplings originated.
I said no.

She said a very long time ago many Asian nations were at war. The Chinese rulers wanted to make a sacrifice, but they didn't have
enough human heads, something like ten thousands. They instead created dumpling filled with minced meat in a perfect round head shape, and threw them in water as a sacrifice.

So next time you eat a round dumpling/bun enjoy this story! More importantly, ask old people stuff, they have some amazing stories!

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Love old folk the older the better they have some amazing stories and different perspectives of life in general.

The old WW2 vets where always amazing but sadly very few of them around.

Hope those dumplings were good

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I'm old. No one listens to me.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

If New Jersey has any redeeming qualities at all it is that there are giant Chinese grocery stores. Really great vegetables, fruits, live meat, frozen parts of animals I would never buy, and all kinds of dumplings and buns (frozen and fresh). I love Chinese 20" long string beans. They just taste better than American string beans. And Shanghai bok choi is really good. And if you never had fresh water chestnuts then if you do they are amazing! I just love fresh water chestnuts. Hard to peel but man they are so good in stir fry. Just make sure when you pick them they are absolutely ROCK hard. If you not perfectly rock hard they are probably rotten. Plus the Chinese grocer has great Jasmine tea and roasted green tea.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I was going to slap dunk some kind of insult but then I remember I have the same problem.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

You're creepy old, not fun old.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
In Japan we call the "gyoza". Wife use to make them, but now they are so cheap to buy so she quit making them.
Where we live we don't even have a Chinese restaurant. Do have a Taiwanese one, but... the food is to bland for my liking. Cheap though, 6.50 USD for lunch with coffee.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I love dumplings!

My dad will be 93 and was in world war 2. He was on his way by Army transport ship to do a land invasion when we dropped the bombs. I ask him stuff all the time. He is a retired Chemist, Microbiologist, Paraditologist, Engineer, and was Director of Research for a Fortune 500 company, and was even summoned to the White House by a Vice President for a private meeting. I ask him plenty, He is quite humble, but boy does he have some stories if I ask.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   

My grandmother told me this one:

The reason why we have wakes at funerals is centuries ago, people used lead and Mercury without knowing about the dangerous side effects.

The effects of the poisoning made people seem dead, so they held a wake to make sure they were truly dead, not just poisoned.

Sometimes folk would wake up in the middle of their own funeral, in a funny way centuries ago we survived the zombie apocalypse.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Keep in mind. Some of us like to bull# you and chuckle when you walk away .

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

That's just because of the court order.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just how old are you? I was under the impression you're in your
40's or maybe 50! I am 64,am I older than you or younger?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Just keep in mind.....

Every memory you have ever had is chock-full of errors.

I would even go as far as saying that memory is largely an illusion.

This is because our perception of the world is deeply imperfect, our brains only bother to remember a tiny piece of what we actually experience, and every time we remember something we have the potential to change the memory we are accessing.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: DBCowboy

Just how old are you? I was under the impression you're in your
40's or maybe 50! I am 64,am I older than you or younger?

We're about the same age.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Ask anyone older than 25 what the US was like before 9/11 happened and turned it into an authoritarian hellhole.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Agreed. That's why am more interested in jokes, or storytelling, than what is 'claimed' to be some old 'truth'.

Even as an entire species: our collective memories suck, no ?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin when i went to sea as a boy 16 i sailed with a few oldies one guy had been in the water 3 times < torpedoed > during the war fascinating stories and i learned my trade from them

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

That's just because of the court order.

You are old by court order?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth
DB is a punk kid. I have 4 years on you.

Ever heard the old saying, "cold as a well digger's ass"? I can tell you first hand just how cold that is. Been there and hand dug a 36 inch 27 foot deep water well.

edit on 19-9-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd
Horse Sheat!

:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join