It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal judge halts California law forcing Trump to release tax returns to qualify for ballot

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

(CNN)A federal judge has ordered a temporary injunction against the California law requiring presidential candidates to release their tax returns to secure a spot on the state's presidential primary ballot -- a law aimed at President Donald Trump, who has not released his tax returns. In a ruling Thursday, US District Court Judge Morrison England, Jr., said that California cannot force candidates to disclose their tax returns as outlined in a new state law. England said he would make his final ruling on the law before October 1. Even as the temporary injunction will likely face appeals from state officials, the decision marks a clear victory for Trump who sued California last month to challenge the state law. The Trump administration has resisted various large-scale efforts to obtain the President's tax returns, a battle that has largely played out in courts. Trump has claimed that ongoing IRS audits have stopped him from making his tax returns public, even though audits don't prevent individuals from releasing tax returns. While the law in question covers all presidential candidates, those in court Thursday acknowledged it was all aimed at one person. "The elephant in the room is President Trump's tax returns," England said. "It has taken us an hour and a half, but we have finally come around why we are here for all of this, because President Trump did not disclose his taxes," England said during the hearing.

well guess we finally got an answer to if ca could keep trump off the ballot although i guess there are more challenges pending and the whole newyork issue as well but this comes as another win for president trump in court. i would assume if problems existed with his taxes the IRS would have said something by now but its not like thats gonna stop some people and groups from going after trump in any way they possibly can even when they seem to loose more in court then they win

www.cnn.com... not sure if it will effect the separate lawsuit against the state of new york but it seems the left coast failed and now its up to a different judge if the right coast gets a peek at his taxes

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

I dont know how anybody could think this law wasnt a violation of a person's right to privacy.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

exactly if the IRS does not have a problem what business is it of any one else's what other people pay in taxes ,but that would get in the way of orange man bad the state loves to chant

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   

UnConstitutional !! 🤓

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I dont know how anybody could think this law wasnt a violation of a person's right to privacy.

Not only that issue valid but another is California attempting a backdoor change to Federal election law and U.S. Constitution regards qualifications for Presidential Candidates.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Meanwhile trump's suing Massachusetts DA to keep them hidden.
His supporters no doubt back this move, on a conspiracy website no less, lol.

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Of course.

What part of "NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS" and "NOT REQUIRED", do you not understand?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

i couldnt find anything on Massachusetts going after his taxes just the NY DA www.heraldnews.com... and if it goes like the ca case the NY da wont get his either

Trump’s attorneys filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in New York against the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr., who recently subpoenaed the president’s accounting firm for eight years of Trump’s state and federal returns. The lawsuit was not immediately made public. But Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow told The Associated Press the lawsuit is intended “to address the significant constitutional issues at stake in this case.” A message was left with Vance seeking comment. Trump’s accounting firm declined to comment. The lawsuit opens a new legal front in Trump’s long-running fight to prevent his tax returns from becoming public and comes as his campaign is fighting a separate effort in California. A new law in the Democratic-led state says presidential candidates must release five years of tax returns to appear on the state’s March 2020 primary ballot. Trump’s campaign and the Republican National Committee have sued, and a hearing is set Thursday in federal court in Sacramento.
and as the thread shows he beat the ca attempt now its on to NY
www.wsj.com...

Lawyers for Mr. Trump have argued the subpoenas target banks that his family and businesses used for private affairs long before his election. They said the subpoenas, which they view as overly broad, amount to a law-enforcement investigation that belongs in the executive branch. “This is not a case that simply pushes the limits of Congress’s ability to compel the production of sensitive, private financial records; it is an attempt to override those limits and insulate Congress’s subpoena power from any meaningful review,” lawyers representing Mr. Trump and his businesses wrote in court papers filed with the appeals court. Lawyers representing the House committees have said the investigations are within the scope of congressional authority. “The Financial Services Committee subpoenaed documents from Deutsche Bank and Capital One that will identify any failures in the banks’ practices or anti-money-laundering programs, including whether any illicit transactions related to Mr. Trump, his family, or his businesses—longtime clients of those banks,” House lawyers wrote in July. In court papers, the banks have said they took no position on the matter. During arguments before judges from the Second Circuit last week, lawyers for the two banks declined to answer questions about whether they were in possession of Mr. Trump’s tax returns. The court ordered that both banks file a letter by Tuesday detailing if they possess tax returns from the individuals and entities in question. Capital One said it doesn’t have tax returns sought by the subpoena. Deutsche Bank, Germany’s largest lender, has for decades had a relationship with Mr. Trump and his businesses and has been the president’s primary bank. Since 1998, the bank has led or participated in loans of at least $2.5 billion to companies affiliated with Mr. Trump, The Wall Street Journal has reported. Public disclosures during his candidacy showed borrowings from Deutsche Bank of more than $300 million by entities affiliated with Mr. Trump, including two 2012 mortgages—one valued at more than $50 million and the other at between $5 million and $25 million—for the Trump National Doral Miami, a Florida golf resort where Mr. Trump has said he wants to host next year’s Group of Seven summit.
so there are both sides arguments in the matter

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Not only that issue valid but another is California attempting a backdoor change to Federal election law and U.S. Constitution regards qualifications for Presidential Candidates.

It's certainly time California secedes from the US. It is obvious they don't want to abide by US federal law. They loathe flyover country and the people in it, who they see as hick hayseeds, racists, sexists, homophobes who cling to their guns and bibles. Why force them to stay with a country and a people they so clearly despise. I for one will help the secession movement in CA any way I can.

CA residents say the US needs them economically, but we don't. Let them be their own economic and governing nation. We really don't need them, even if they have the warped idea that they are so superior that the rest of the US can't survive without them. I'm all for secession movements, for any state and we should make it easy for states to go their own way. California is not worth the civil war they are foisting on the rest of the nation with their "we are better than everyone else" totalitarian progressive liberalism.

This playing around to make their own election laws for President should be the final straw. They should be offered easy secession and then they can elect AOC as their President.

edit on 9/19/19 by The2Billies because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   

So are you saying that he's hiding something, and the IRS has been covering for him since years before he ran as President?

Damn straight I back this move... all releasing his tax returns will do is generate endless soundbites from the left about everything they can find to use for a cheap political shot.

They've already tried two scoops of ice cream and feeding fish wrong, FFS.

But you're ok with that because By Any Means Necessary, I would guess...

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ahahahaha
Ahahahahahaha
Ahahaha
Wait wait
Ahahahahahaha
Ahahaha
Doesn't maddow already have them?
Ahahahahahaha ahahahaha
Aaaaaaaahahahahaha

Stupid dems

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

The irs has no issues
And it is ,you know, THEIR JOB

Mass witchhunt

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
In fact, that/when you sign a "tax return" under "penalty of perjury", you are waiving "constitutional rights". That should be a clue to any "educated" American. But apparently it is not. The I.R.S. is a scam established by TPTB to create "subjects" and perpetual dept and deptors. Think you are free? You own anything? Property/properties? Break a leg, lose your job, go to war for the country that collects your "taxes". Stop paying the "tax". Let's see how "free" you stay and are.

And now? Apparently the IRS is a device used as a political tool. I do not care if Pres. Trump didn't pay, "his fare share". That just makes him more lovable to me.

Lawful "federal" taxation was established in the C.O.T.U.S... But because they failed to abide by the C.O.T.U.S they had to amend it, with the 16th.
I hope California (My native state) gets full retard. So America can clean house!

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

are hillary's finance information any of our business? Should people NOT dig into the life of soros?

I don't agree with cali on this but to tell a ct crowd to mind their own business is ridiculous.

You don't mind your own business. No one on this site does.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   
So... they will rule on the matter before Oct 1 and then there will be more apeals.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

I don’t know.

I mean how many millions upon millions of good Americans will die in the absolute and total war to keep California out when they decide that they want back in?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Also at issue is Freedom of Association. What right does California have to tell the Republican Party who they can put on the ballot?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
So... they will rule on the matter before Oct 1 and then there will be more apeals.

Yep yep....

Bury your opponent in frivolous lawsuits, generate a ton of paperwork and all the while the media can just put the word "alleged" in front of whatever non-crime that was done and you get to generate negative publicity.

At the same time just have the media make stuff up and generate negative coverage.

Then whatever the opponent does just spin, cherry-pick and generate negative coverage.

Kinda makes people think that the left is, well... negative.

Makes people madder and madder, so push PUSH the narrative until you push out people that are not normally negative.

So they soon will have a rock-solid base of seething mad hating voters.

All 24% of America.

What a winning strategy for a Presidential election.

edit on 19-9-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
There is no law that requires him to provide his tax returns to CA or any state. Donald Trump provides more than his tax returns. He provided 100 pages of his financials and on top of that, was audited by the IRS during Obama's entire tenure and even before that!

His tax returns are probably super complicated, and his tax accountants probably use every legal loophole available, that letting them loose into the hands of vicious rabid dogs like the media whoremongers and Democrats would be foolish.

He doesn't need to do that. He's provided enough.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Time for a Trump compromise. Trump agrees to the new balloting placement rules, California agrees that it forfeits its Electoral Votes for violating the Constitution with inadmissible errata.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join