It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it all going to swing to the right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I just wondering with all this talk about theres going to be some sort of terrorist attack in the uk, 200 al queida(sorry spelling) men walking the streets at night and all this bird flu talk from asia. I heard all this on the news hundreds of times before and similar things to it and none of it has come to fruit in the uk (hope it don't but doubt it). So is this the news playing tricks on our minds to frighten the true british to vote for the Conservative or maybe even more far right groups like bnp. I hear the right is gaining more support.

What are your opinions?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Coolbreeze
What are your opinions?

To be honest the right is gaining support because the current Government and past Governments have messed up big time, with general problems on the increase and the media hyping them up people are getting scared and are turning to extreme methods to get them dealt with, eg turning to fringe parties like Veritas and UKIP etc

Oh and although I no longer like the Conservatives they aren't that right wing.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I don't buy into this 'the right is gaining support' story.

2 or 3 BNP council seats won with a few hundred votes and held for a single term (which is their actual track record to date) hardly heralds the end of the political system as we know it.

Derek Beacon anyone?
(another 'huge and important breakthrough' which supposedly proved the BNP were on the verge of sweeping the board back in 1993 in the east end of London
; hysterical - unless you live in the 'target' area where they create nothing but trouble - but it's only what they do and what happens from time to time )

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
2 or 3 BNP council seats won with a few hundred votes and held for a single term (which is their actual track record to date) hardly heralds the end of the political system as we know it.

I was under the impression that the right wasn't just the extreme right, right wing policies are gaining support we only need to look at immigration policy.
The policy is sometimes not justified but the people want tougher immigration rules which is generally reguarded as right wing.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I was under the impression that the right wasn't just the extreme right

- What?
I was not the first to mention the British right extremists they were brought into this right in the opening post....and by yourself too.

But OK. I know what you mean Wizard but by any gauge todays right are a damned sight more 'extreme' than they ever were.
If Howard's tory party were taken back to the mid 1970's even Ted Heaths tories would find them beyond belief!

right wing policies are gaining support we only need to look at immigration policy.

- Hmmmm, I hear you.
I wouldn't be so sure. There's a lot of 'newspaper' talk about this, whether it is anything more than the usual grumblings of the least informed is another matter.

You can point to Labour's response to the tory immigration proposals all you like but the net effect is that when they are passed we in the UK will be putting in place a system similar to the European 'guest worker' system whos net effect may well be even more 'foreigners' here.

The policy is sometimes not justified but the people want tougher immigration rules which is generally reguarded as right wing.

- So we keep being told.
I have no doubt some feel like that but I do not see this as how 'most people' see things at all.

When Labour win the next general election, again (seeing as they are, according to the UK right, supposedly the less strident on this issue), I wonder if it will be generally accepted that maybe this isn't quite the issue it is claimed to be for 'most'?

(BTW are you watching the Channel 4 series 'Let them all in'?
It's quite interesting, dispells many myths and well worth a look IMO.)

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
I was not the first to mention the British right extremists they were brought into this right in the opening post....and by yourself too.

note to self pay attention in future

But OK. I know what you mean Wizard but by any gauge todays right are a damned sight more 'extreme' than they ever were.

Its beginning to turn into a 'who can be tougher' conflict

I wouldn't be so sure. There's a lot of 'newspaper' talk about this, whether it is anything more than the usual grumblings of the least informed is another matter.

I've seen a couple of opinion polls in the daily mail
that show people favour tougher rules.

You can point to Labour's response to the tory immigration proposals all you like but the net effect is that when they are passed we in the UK will be putting in place a system similar to the European 'guest worker' system whos net effect may well be even more 'foreigners' here.

I don't mind those coming here to work hard and play by the rules, its those that sneek into the country that tick me off.

When Labour win the next general election, again (seeing as they are, according to the UK right, supposedly the less strident on this issue), I wonder if it will be generally accepted that maybe this isn't quite the issue it is claimed to be for 'most'?

Have you recently learnt to tell the future...
Labour will proberly win the next election, but i can see them losing seats.

(BTW are you watching the Channel 4 series 'Let them all in'?
It's quite interesting, dispells many myths and well worth a look IMO.)

I think so, I watched a programme the other day about workers in Poland coming here to work, I see nothing wrong with them working here as long as they keep to the rules.

new topics

top topics

join