It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flu shot?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I'm not to worried about dying from the flu but I was laid the hell out by the last one I had..
Even ended up in the emergency room, "the wife made me" for fluids.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
My local pharmacies actually offer you a gift card to get it.

a reply to: Gargoyle91

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Our local medical MJ dispensaries offer a special blend to combat the flu. Glad I have a card.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Ah yes, mj...is there anything it can't do?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Absolutely getting my flu shot.

I’m too old to be “down with the flu”, I got things to do!

Worse side effect I’ve ever had from the shot is a slightly sore shoulder muscle that lasted 2-3 days.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Flu has an H and N component. I have to get it, otherwise I wouldn't. I don't find the flu vaccine to be effective enough.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

How many of those are healthy adults?

A small segment of the population should get the shot. Elderly, young, immune compromised etc...

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: olaru12

Ah yes, mj...is there anything it can't do?

Probably but.....

www.health.harvard.edu...

www.businessinsider.com...

But even in the case you get the flu, you can make it more tolerable with the correct "medicine"
edit on 19-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The only reason that this was researched was because it interfered with the flu vaccine working. Now TBHQ also dampens our immune systems even if we have protection naturally, but they do not care about stating it protects all people, vaccinated or not. They also do not mention other diseases that TBHQ dampens our immunity too. Also others in this same class of preservatives dampens people's immune system too. We need to fix the problem, not just find more and more expensive medicines to help treat the diseases.

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

The main problem is spreading the flu to others I think. It would probably kill me due to other medical conditions, so it is a serious matter for many people.

The flu is nothing to take lightly.

All it takes is one person to walk in a facility to visit their aging parent or grandparent to kill off many people. I know of a case where that happened. A friends daughter was a nurse in a nursing home and one day he calls me to see if I'd heard about all the deaths in the nursing homes. The mortality rate was 50% in the homes that year.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Unvaccinated adults give it to children too young to be vaccinated and then you have people who don't vaccinate their own children. Visit grandpa in a nursing home while you are contagious and you can kill dozens of people. This really is serious business.

Most infants who die from Pertussis get it from an adult who is not vaccinated. Even from their own parents. I was 6 years old when I nearly died from it myself. We had no vaccine for it then. Other kids in the same school did die that year.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What you’re stating is true.... that people should be courteous enough not to go around those susceptible if they know they could be a carrier, but also folks should keep this in mind:

Just because you’ve been vaccinated, doesn’t mean you can’t get the flu (I used to work in healthcare and had to take MANDATORY flu shots to have my job) and I was in a position to be able to have myself tested for the flu when I was running a mild fever and feeling under the weather at work. Simple swab, we all did it, every time.

3 years in a row, even in spite of the mandatory shot, I came down with the flu, twice swine, once type a, and although I will admit the symptoms were milder than some full blown flu I’ve had in the past without a shot,I could’ve “worked through it”- I was still contagious and shouldn’t have been at work spreading the virus. When I found out I was able to go home. But I was in a rare position.

The shot gives some false sense of security, and unlike me working in a PCP office where they swabbed everybody’s cheek, many would assume since they had the shot, they might just have a cold, stay at work, and pass it on to everyone.

Just a word of advice.... also, I no longer work in healthcare, but the times I’ve been to the dr for flu like illness since, I was treated for allergies and sinus infections (with no relief) and was never even tested for the flu.... just realized once my useless antibiotics and other remedies weren’t working, and that it was “running it’s course”- so to speak- that this must just be the flu. no way to know, as I wasn’t going back just for a test, but after it happening twice, I’ve decided that I will have to insist on a flu test upon walking in the door myself. Drs love that, ya know?

With the resistance to patients being their own advocates because of the push against patients researching their own symptoms on the internet(which is fair) and things such as that- I see where this will lead to insulting physicians in my future, and having me labeled a problem patient. Trust me, I know why patients are labeled problem patients, I used to do so.

With all that rambling, I’m replying simply to say please don’t put your faith into the flu shot anymore than you might anything else.... there are arguments to be made from both sides of the isle.

False sense of protection can lead to just as much harm as refusal of protection.

And just Incase anyone cares after all that, I no longer take a flu shot, and when the flu activity gets high in our area, we limit our agendas and activities to reflect how we would like to see society change its passive attitude about “business as usual” when everybody’s sick as a dog, trying to function as normal. Slow it down. Rest, recover, reschedule.

There was a long discussion last year on FB with some really great points brought up about employers insisting one has a dr excuse to be absent work- while all the local news stations have the physicians on tv and the airwaves suggesting “there’s no treatment for the flu, if you have symptoms, you should just stay home and keep from spreading it”- all the while many couldn’t receive a paycheck unless they made that trip to the same physician..was enough to make anyone in a position to feel the effects of that crazy... I sincerely felt for a lot of the peoples predicaments... but know that our choices in those situations are what keeps the virus spreading.

Just wanted to add to your thoughts about protecting others. We should think about that in numerous ways, not just vaccination, but isolation and recovery, and knowing that even if we had a shot we may still contract a milder form of flu that feels like a slight cold. In that instance, even someone who had the shot could still unwittingly spread the virus to others who could not have the shot.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Vaccinated adults do too. So then vaccination is pointless for that discussion, it's about staying away from others while sick.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
No thanks. I'm sure Wal Mart is looking out for me and everything but I'll pass.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I got one already this year, like I have every year since I was in Vietnam. Never any adverse reaction and no flu either.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernGift

That's something we have no control over. It's quite different than those who simply do not care.

Absolutely when someone is sick, they should never spread the joy knowingly.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Vaccinated adults do too. So then vaccination is pointless for that discussion, it's about staying away from others while sick.

Hardly. If everyone stopped being vaccinated imagine how high the body count would be. The recent 80,000 dead in one year in the US could be far higher.

If it saves one life or tens of thousands how do you quantify the value of a few lives over many lives?

I just read about Polio's return in places like the Philippines. I'm just old enough to remember a couple of people dying from Polio in our neighborhood and standing in line at school with the whole town to get the vaccine.

Face it, fear of vaccines is unfounded, based on myths and peoples paranoia.

I'd never say force people to get them. I would however say, if a parent who failed to get vaccinated against pertussis gives it to and infant and it dies, they should be blamed. In fact any adult who is not vaccinated goes around an infant causing a death is wrong minded.

This anti-vaxing stuff is not like other conspiracy theories. It has an actual body count.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

The main problem is spreading the flu to others I think. It would probably kill me due to other medical conditions, so it is a serious matter for many people.

The flu is nothing to take lightly.

All it takes is one person to walk in a facility to visit their aging parent or grandparent to kill off many people. I know of a case where that happened. A friends daughter was a nurse in a nursing home and one day he calls me to see if I'd heard about all the deaths in the nursing homes. The mortality rate was 50% in the homes that year.

I was always an on again/off again flu shot taker.

Then one year I had a wretched case of the flu, followed directly by a side effect of the flu, pneumonia so bad the radiologist walked the x-ray along with me directly back to the Dr. who sent me straight to the hospital. I spent one week in the hospital, and several weeks at home recovery time, don't have any idea how close I was to dying. But I sure felt like it.

I still hate the flu shot, but get it regularly.

I should have known better. My Uncle got the measles before there was a vaccine. He became profoundly deaf as a direct result of getting the measles. My mother always said, there is a greater chance of getting the virus and having serious side effects than any known side effects of the vaccine.
She is a smart lady!

edit on 9/19/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I have never gotten the flu shot but I am seriously considering it this year...

How about you?

Go to the hospital and ask any Pathologist what they think about the effectiveness of Flu vaccinations.

After that, I'll see you in line.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   
If it does not work all the time, does it mean the lives it does save are meaningless? If it halves the deaths is that important?

My father, born in 1913 lost 6 of his siblings to the Spanish Flu. Now the number of fatalities would be far less and I see that as a good thing. If your ever in a graveyard old enough, look at the gravestones from that time and you will see all the children's headstones with the little lambs and angels on them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join