It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purple Sunsets caused by Volcano Spewing Aerosol into the Atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The recent rash of beautiful Purple Sunsets and Sunrises are caused by Volcano spewing Sulfur Dioxide Aerosol into the upper Atmosphere.

The eruption of a remote Russian volcano in June has been tingeing sunrises and sunsets the world over a gorgeous purple hue.

According to researchers at the University of Colorado, Boulder, the volcano Raikoke spewed sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere, which led to the creation of tiny particles called aerosols. The aerosols scatter sunlight, resulting in more purples at sunrise and sunset.

"It makes you realize that you don't have to put a whole lot of aerosols into the stratosphere to change its composition," Lars Kalnajs, a research associate at CU's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, said in a statement. "This was a relatively small volcanic eruption, but it was enough to impact most of the Northern Hemisphere."
www.livescience.com...

Ok we were told in the late 60's and early70's that the world was pumping way to much Aerosols into the Atmosphere, however I in my entire life never saw a purple sunset that was man caused from the use of Aerosols. The article quotes that the Aerosol level is 20 times thicker than normal. This event is not man made of course but I doubt if every man used aerosol propellants it would cause purple sunsets, because it would take thousands of years to increase it 20 times its normal level in a man made event.

This is going to have more of an impact on the earth than just purple skies.

In 1815, for example, Mount Tambora in what is today Indonesia spewed out a huge amount of sulfur dioxide. The resulting aerosols created a temporary global cooling, causing weird weather and crop failures. As a result, 1816 was known as "the year without a summer." Contemporary European artists captured some of the colorful sunsets caused by Tambora, a 2014 study found.
It would seem that the resent hurricanes and severe storm activities could be directly kinked to this volcano event and not to man made global warming/climate change.

What sayeth thou oh ATS Climate Change science gurus?

edit on 9/18/2019 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

An aerosol is just something suspended in the air or another gas. For instance, dust (skin particles) can be an aerosol.

Not all aerosols are the same.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well its obvious.
We either need to ban or tax the volcanos.
Problem solved.

Seriously though, the earth can handle what it dishes out. Including us. When it has had enough, it will give a big shake, like a dog, and there will be a lot less of us to deal with.
But we do need to clean up our mess still. Stop polluting and using so much plastic.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Well DUH Terry!

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

It is amazing that it put out 20 times more aerosols than normal and yet we are told that if we didn't stop using Aerosols e.g. deodorant usually had Aluminum Oxide suspended in the Aerosol. But when we look at the amount of Sulfur Oxide put out in Aerosol not limiting it to any type of particle suspended in it. Man could have never change the atmosphere because he could not reached the amount of any aerosol (regardless of Particle) that this volcano did in one belch. Now we have two to four volcanoes a year that erupt and shoot up Aerosols (regardless of particle suspended in it) into the atmosphere yet none of them ever put enough into the atmosphere to change the color of the sky. They have clouded it, and they have suspended ash in the upper atmosphere but other than darken it, it is rare a volcano changes the color of our sky. the last one was in the mid 1800's.

I have some nice sunrises and sunset pictures but until our copyright goes through none will be published online.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

It’s about the chemical that’s in the aerosol, not just the aerosol itself.

I’m just going to leave this thread, because I have way better things to do than teach a (supposed) grown adult about basic science.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Again a big Duh. go fill your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think you are mixing up a generic term of aerosol with chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).

new topics

top topics

join