It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should The Dominion of Canada abolish the monarchy?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

originally posted by: M5xaz

originally posted by: TheRepublicOfCanada

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

Chill Already. Just my opinion and you flip turds about it. Want me to agree if you simmer?

I am calm. Apologies if my post came across as irate.

The point is that there are many Republican nations who are Republics in name and form. Canada needs to go the full circle and fully complete the legal process and be a Republic in form and name. It is 2019 CE after all...

Canada is fine the way it is.
Seems to me you suffer from minority chip on the shoulder syndrome, and probably a recent immigrant.

If you don't like Canada as is, LEAVE !!
STAT!

I don't see the benefit in totally cutting ties, but the "if you don't like it, leave" attitude is so dangerous and against what Canada stands for. This guy has every right to peacefully say..."hey...why is this lady on our money?" "Immigrant" or not. One of the best things about Canada is that most of us realize that we're all pretty close to being immigrants anyways and dont hold pretentious ideas about who is welcome and who isn't.

NO !!

Enough of this we are all immigrants bull.
Canada had a CENTURIES-long history and culture of its own before the wave of third world immigrants started in the 1970s.
What led to modern day Canada was created by two founding people, the French and the British, supplemented by a later wave of Europeans in the 19th and 20th century.
If not for these people, modern day Canada would not exist- PERIOD.
Canada, like any other nation, has a right to its identity

That history and culture has a right to be respected.
Immigrants leave the failed state they are in for a better life. When you come to Rome....

Canada has a better life precisely because the culture of Canada is BETTER than the failed state they come from.
And no that is not "racist" to say so - it is factual, we are talking about culture, not race and NO not all cultures are equal.

Immigrants leaving Afghanistan for example should adapt to Canada, not the other way around.
Canada is rich and free precisely because it is NOT an Islamic state. Necessarily, any accommodation of Islam in the public sphere would make Canada less free. If your own culture is that important to you, I respect that, but then stay in failed islamic states.

There is nothing magical about the land itself - if you replaced SUPERIOR Western culture with Islamic culture and laws, Canada would become just as poor as Afghanistan and just as UNFREE (the women in particular).

No islamic nation anywhere on the planet is as free and rich as any Western nation. I am uwilling to downgrade Canada's freedom to satisfy some islamist''s butthurt ego.

Canada
Love it or leave it.
edit on 18-9-2019 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

Chill Already. Just my opinion and you flip turds about it. Want me to agree if you simmer?

I am calm. Apologies if my post came across as irate.

The point is that there are many Republican nations who are Republics in name and form. Canada needs to go the full circle and fully complete the legal process and be a Republic in form and name. It is 2019 CE after all...

Canada is fine the way it is.
Seems to me you suffer from minority chip on the shoulder syndrome, and probably a recent immigrant.

If you don't like Canada as is, LEAVE !!
STAT!

NO! The queen (lower case) and her offspring can leave so our money can be spent in a more deserving manner.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

What money do you give them?
What do they take?

What are you over reacting about, calm down

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

What do they take?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Sapphire

Or dropped on his head as a baby.

Rush rule.

Anne Murray lead vocals, kick arse combo

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
As a Brit I wouldn't presume to tell Canadians what to do in Canada.

I have quite often wondered why we put up with a Monarchy in the UK. On the face of it there's no place in the 21st century for it. For me it all comes down to the fact that the system works, has worked in a largely consistent manner for a long time. It's not a system you would ever design, being the product of hundreds of years of trial, error and bloodshed, but it works.

Whenever something delivers hundreds of years of political stability you mess with it only with great care and for something quantifiably better. I see no reason why an elected symbolic head of state makes anything better.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: justwokeup

I have quite often wondered why we put up with a Monarchy in the UK. On the face of it there's no place in the 21st century for it. For me it all comes down to the fact that the system works, has worked in a largely consistent manner for a long time. It's not a system you would ever design, being the product of hundreds of years of trial, error and bloodshed, but it works.

Whenever something delivers hundreds of years of political stability you mess with it only with great care and for something quantifiably better. I see no reason why an elected symbolic head of state makes anything better.

I hear what you're saying.

But countries like India and Pakistan abolished the monarchy back in the 50s and...they're doing okay I guess.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

This stability, and additional layer of security, are why I believe that the anti-monarchists have failed to have the monarchy removed in Canada. I honestly think that the average Canadian is pretty ambivalent to it.

It is all fun and games until we start removing the one position that can over ride our politico's idiocies.

I think the monarchy in Canada is pretty damn safe until the GG or an LG make a big blunder. All bets will be off at that point.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

This stability, and additional layer of security, are why I believe that the anti-monarchists have failed to have the monarchy removed in Canada. I honestly think that the average Canadian is pretty ambivalent to it.

It is all fun and games until we start removing the one position that can over ride our politico's idiocies.

I think the monarchy in Canada is pretty damn safe until the GG or an LG make a big blunder. All bets will be off at that point.

In what way does the British Monarchy bring "security" and "stability" to The Dominion of Canada or The Commonwealth of Australia?

Pray, do tell.

Perhaps, Her Majesty should again assert her authority over the states of the US and bring some "stability" and "security" to a crime-ridden, dangerous and unstable nation. Perhaps, gun violence and general crime will dive under the rule of a British Monarch. Perhaps there'll never be another Government Shutdown once a British Monarch again rules the region that we now recognise as the United States of America.

Next, you'll be telling me that Elon Musk and SpaceX seek to bring instability and chaos to Earth and her nations...
edit on 23-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Sapphire

Quebec tried separating from the rest of Canada which didn't work mainly because they felt they could siphon huge amounts of cash from Canadian tax payers after the done deed.

So, in other words..business as usual

As for the OP..meh, they are figureheads anyway, I don't see the point.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

But countries like India and Pakistan abolished the monarchy back in the 50s and...they're doing okay I guess.

Um, that would be a somewhat subjective view..lol. A lot of them move here if at all possible.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Um, that would be a somewhat subjective view..lol. A lot of them move here if at all possible.

Not for the Monarchy though, my friend.

In this day and age, countries like the Dominion of Canada and the Commonwealth of Australia should do away with such an institution. It is obsolete. No need for that.
edit on 27-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   
simple question :

to be answered by dominion republicans - ie canada , australia NZ etc ]

what benefits would abolishment of the monarcy bring to the new republic ?

what would the new president do - that the dominion prime minister does not ?

TIA

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Should Canada abolish the monarchy and become a Republic?
I have no problem with the status quo as far as the Monarchy goes. It may be a bit anachronistic, but it is part of our national identity. It sets us apart from our unruly cousins to the south (God luvya) and maintains our roots, along with our proper spelling of the language. It is not terrifically overt, but can be seen if you take notice. I'm fine with all that.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

What do they take?

Well, let's say three or more royal family members visit 3X per year (and they never come alone) and security costs around $1,000,000 perhaps more depending on variables we have $3,000,000 so far, plus the cost of maintaining their lavish lifestyle while here...what total $ amount do we come up with - that which would better serve the people of Canada that really need it?
edit on 19CDT08America/Chicago04480830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

hi - could you please give us your budget estimate / annum for :

" the office of the president "

assuming a canadian republic

be sure to include the obvious facts :

the president will require :

a salary

an expence account

a staff

an official residence [ upkeep of which will be borne by the office of the president ]

a security detail

and numerous other expenditures to maintain a functional presidency

some costs will be shared with the parliament // office of the prime minister

others will have to be new ad independant

just my humble opinion - but the office of the president - would not be a finincial saving for a new republic of canada - that has abolished the monarchy and all expenditure there on

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Why do you assume we need another figurehead. That's what President's are 'figureheads' because they delegate all the hard work to staff who tell them what to 'make it so'. We don't have to go along the same path as before, we can learn from other country's mistakes. And let's not forget that the position of Governor General would be gone and so would all the costs associated with that office.

I like Sweden's governmental hierarchy, perhaps we could build on that model.
edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago02090930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join