It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should The Dominion of Canada abolish the monarchy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The Dominion of Canada is the formal and official - albeit rarely used - title for the nation that we all know as "Canada".

Canada's head of state is Queen Elizabeth II.

Canada still even has a Governor-General!

Governor-General of Canada

Should Canada abolish the monarchy and become a Republic? Should New Zealand and Australia also follow suit in kind?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts?
edit on 18-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: Typo

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

What the hell for?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

A poll from 2013 had just over half of Canadian citizens indicating that they would prefer a Canadian head of state.

"A poll conducted in August 2017 found that 41% of Canadians wanted to abolish the monarchy following the death or abdication of Elizabeth II, with 43% in favour of maintaining ties."

I know my husband and I both feel that the monarchy are redundant and we would certainly vote to break all ties, but there are many people here that still hand down those ties to upcoming generations.

I remember once a co-worker was boasting about being in the presence of Prince Charles and when I replied that I felt the monarchy to be redundant, she took on a hardline defensive attitude in the protection of the idea of monarchy, saying that 'they have their place here'. Which I didn't agree with, but let it go because there seems to be some sort of emotional component that goes along with it. Perhaps it has to do with maitaining direct family ties in the U.K. that continues to fuel that flame.

Politically speaking, the monarchy leaves everything up to our appointed leaders and we don't have to pay for their lavish lifestyles, so it is no skin off my nose.

edit on 19CDT06America/Chicago04560630 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

What the hell for?

Why the hell not?!

That's a ridiculous question. Are you aware of the history of nations like the United States and Canada and Mexico? Argentina? It'd be like Argentina today having King Felipe IV as its head of state.

Are you seriously questioning the statement that an independent and sovereign nation like Canada should also make it legal and actual on paper; because on paper, Canada is still the Dominion of Canada and Queen Elizabeth II is still the head of state.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Chill Already. Just my opinion and you flip turds about it. Why do you want it so badly, did you just emigrate?

edit on 18-9-2019 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire

Chill Already. Just my opinion and you flip turds about it. Want me to agree if you simmer?

I am calm. Apologies if my post came across as irate.

The point is that there are many Republican nations who are Republics in name and form. Canada needs to go the full circle and fully complete the legal process and be a Republic in form and name. It is 2019 CE after all...
edit on 18-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: Full circle

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Did you just move there?
edit on 18-9-2019 by PillarOfFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

The Monarch is just a figurehead of Commonwealth and as such has no real bearing on how Canada is governed , you're a member of a club of former colonies with a shared history and ideals , you are not tied in and free to leave when you choose...Unlike being a member of the European Union.

At least you don't have to pay for them and their extravagant lifestyles.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Be afraid, be very afraid.

edit on 19CDT07America/Chicago02570730 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19CDT07America/Chicago02970730 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The Monarch is just a figurehead of Commonwealth and as such has no real bearing on how Canada is governed , you're a member of a club of former colonies with a shared history and ideals , you are not tied in and free to leave when you choose...Unlike being a member of the European Union.

At least you don't have to pay for them and their extravagant lifestyles.

I know that, obviously. That is all well and good. I am just saying that Canada needs to go full circle and be a Republic in name and form.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

The best way to get rid of monarchy is to print interest free money:

"During the Civil War (1861-1865), President Lincoln needed money to finance the War from the North. The Bankers were going to charge him 24% to 36% interest. Lincoln was horrified and went away greatly distressed, for he was a man of principle and would not think of plunging his beloved country into a debt that the country would find impossible to pay back.

Eventually President Lincoln was advised to get Congress to pass a law authorizing the printing of full legal tender Treasury notes to pay for the War effort. Lincoln recognized the great benefits of this issue. At one point he wrote:

"(we) gave the people of this Republic the greatest blessing they have ever had – their own paper money to pay their own debts..."

The Treasury notes were printed with green ink on the back, so the people called them "Greenbacks".

Lincoln printed 400 million dollars worth of Greenbacks (the exact amount being $449,338,902), money that he delegated to be created, a debt-free and interest-free money to finance the War. It served as legal tender for all debts, public and private. He printed it, paid it to the soldiers, to the U.S. Civil Service employees, and bought supplies for war.

Shortly after that happened, The London Times printed the following: "If that mischievous financial policy, which had its origin in the North American Republic, should become indurated down to a fixture, then that Government will furnish its own money without cost. It will pay off debts and be without a debt. It will have all the money necessary to carry on its commerce. It will become prosperous beyond precedent in the history of the civilized governments of the world. The brains and the wealth of all coun­tries will go to North America. That govern­ment must be destroyed, or it will destroy every monarchy on the globe."

This is why I admire Iran for trying to buck the World monetary system by having interest free-money in their economy. It really drives the Jewish bankers in the monarchy crazy!!!

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes its laws". Mater Amschel Rothschild

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
With the old cow being humiliated and used like a dog by johnson the queen should reconsider the purpose of the monarchy.
They are a massive drain on the taxes nothing more nothing less.
The colonies don't need her, a few auld geezers only supporting the idea of having a figurehead.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

A poll from 2013 had just over half of Canadian citizens indicating that they would prefer a Canadian head of state.

"A poll conducted in August 2017 found that 41% of Canadians wanted to abolish the monarchy following the death or abdication of Elizabeth II, with 43% in favour of maintaining ties."

The "43% in favor" have no problem bending the knee. They have no problem with man's supposedly "natural state".

"Is not this simpler. Is this not your natural state. It is the unspoken truth of humanity."

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Be afraid, be very afraid.

You think Britain is going to invade us? That would be pretty much impossible.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

A little levity never hurt anybody, but the comic does remind us how the monarchy came to be and how it has continued for so long.
edit on 19CDT07America/Chicago03670730 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
No. We shouldnt. There's very little real power for her and we are supposed to like the queen.... right?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
No. We shouldnt. There's very little real power for her and we are supposed to like the queen.... right?

Yes, your programming to date should remind you that you like the Queen.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Yeah I'm super programmed. I'm one of the most unbelieving people and least assuming people you clearly don't know.

a reply to: InTheLight

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

What would the benefit be?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Dismantle the maple crown.

I would prefer Geddy Lee to be on the $20.

And the national anthem should be "north west passage" by Stan Rogers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join