It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock; Hovers closest to "Midnight" since 1947.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 18-9-2019 by vonclod because: Somebody beat me to it

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Even just over the last few days, lots of these articles have been popping up. Collective consciousness, or just the current trend due to the current political climate...

If a nuclear bomb is dropped on your city, here's what you should (and shouldn't) do to stay alive

Business Insider

Nuclear war warning: Threat remains the ‘biggest risk’ to humanity - claim

NUCLEAR war is the “single most existential risk” humanity faces and they have the ability to “end our species”, an expert has warned.

Express

Finally the next one has a near complete list featuring everything known to have been manufacted as well as current nuclear ordinance and it's specific yield capabilities.

Nuke Map

These were just a few articles and or resources I've noticed, and having more recent dates, I figured they were worth sharing.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yet another article, a comprehend and detailed one, this is quite worth the time spent to read it. I'm going to keep posting related info here as it's found or published. Hopefully it will prove useful.

All statements of fact, opinion or analysis expressed are those of the author and do not reflect the official positions or views of the CIA or any other U.S. government agency. Nothing in the contents should be construed as asserting or implying U.S. government authentication of information or CIA endorsement of the author’s views. This material has been reviewed by the CIA to prevent the disclosure of classified information.

In the 1950s and 1960s, Americans genuinely and rightly feared the prospect of nuclear war with the Soviet Union. Schoolchildren regularly participated in air raid drills. Federal, state and local governments prepared for operations in the event of a nuclear emergency. More than a few worried citizens built backyard bomb shelters and stockpiled provisions.

Today, that old dread of disaster has all but disappeared, as have the systems that helped preclude it. But the actual threat of nuclear catastrophe is much greater than we realize.

Diplomacy and a desire for global peace have given way to complacency and a false sense of security that nuclear escalation is outside the realm of possibility. That leaves us unprepared for—and highly vulnerable to—a nuclear attack from Russia.

In fact, cyber technologies, artificial intelligence, advanced hypersonic weapons delivery systems and antisatellite weaponry are making the U.S.-Russian shadow war much more complex and dangerous than the old Cold War competition.

They are blurring traditional lines between espionage and warfare, entangling nuclear and conventional weaponry, and erasing old distinctions between offensive and defensive operations.

WASHINGTON AND THE WORLD

We’re More at Risk of Nuclear War With Russia Than We Think
U.S. lawmakers on both sides of the aisle need to start addressing the danger.

By GEORGE BEEBE October 07, 2019

George Beebe is vice president and director of studies at the Center for the National Interest, a nonpartisan think tank in Washington. He is also the former head of Russia analysis at the CIA, and the author of The Russia Trap: How Our Shadow War with Russia Could Spiral into Nuclear Catastrophe.

It's clearly a subject that's on collective minds, otherwise so many articles wouldn't be rehashed with such frequency.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Seriously.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The "Cold War" never ended completely.
The fall of Soviet Totalitarianism,
led to the rise of Chinese Totalitarianism.

Somewhere in between, Technocracy
vies to usurp Capitalism.
Technocracy seeks to put a "Peeping Tom"
in the bedroom of every person on this planet.

The fastest route to achieve this end would be
to create a symbiotic relationship with Chinese
Totalitarianism. Total Control for the foreseeable
future. It was all in the bag until Trump showed up.

That is why they hate him.
Great thread ! S&F

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Continuing to update this thread as material is released, I'll post all related content here, as to cut down on repeat discussions.

Whether or not people agree or disagree with the tracking of potential nuclear threats, no one should underestimate or disregard the very real and serious possibly of a military or rogue group from utilizing the option.

To write off such a globally devastating threat which by the way is more serious than some alleged global warming, is beyond stupid and a shining example of pure ignorance.

So if this discussion isn't for you, don't read it. Why waste time posting a new discussion talking down about it?

Coward move, that's why. You know who you are ...

Dont be that guy, grow a pair already what is this highschool.

On that note, here is the most recent report I've found related to nuclear threats and how they can still play out.

Study: a nuclear war between India and Pakistan could lead to a mini-nuclear winter

Both countries are expanding their nuclear arsenals.

Students in Mumbai rally against nuclear weapons on the anniversary of the world’s first wartime use of nuclear weapons at Hiroshima.

More than 90 percent of the world’s nuclear weapons are held by the United States and Russia. The world’s other nuclear powers — Britain, China, France, Israel, India, and Pakistan — are believed to maintain much smaller arsenals, probably 100 to 300 warheads each. But in the past few years, India and Pakistan are believed to have expanded their nuclear capabilities.

By Kelsey Piper  Oct 9, 2019, 1:10pm EDT

When rival nations have large nuclear arsenals

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I remember an era before the Berlin Wall came down, a time when communism and nuclear war was a very real threat to the world balance. If you don't remember the Berlin Wall, then honestly I don't care about your opinion, because you don't know.

Ask any one who's lived it, the threat of nuclear war or a WWIII is very real and almost happened more times than people realize.

To those of us who lived it and experienced life in that time, it's very real.

That's why this is worth tracking.

There will always be a nuclear threat now, we can't un-invent it.
These reasons motivate my interests in such information.

Growing up with grand parents and a great depression pantry, makes me realize how important it is to be aware and prepared. Look at California power shutdown for example, 800k people without electricity is just as bad as any natural disaster or made made one, stuff happens be ready.

Be ready for what life throws at you, because it's pitching a fast curve ball.

World War 3:
The best country to escape to if war breaks out as Turkey attacks Syria named

WORLD War 3 is a prospect which is likely to strike fear into the hearts of many Britons. While it’s hoped such a war is something that will never take place, there’s no denying the growing tension on the world stage, especially as Turkey launches attacks on Syria.

Where is the safest place in the world to escape to if WW3 does break out?

Should World War 3 come to pass, Britons could well be best off escaping to the most peaceful countries of the world.

Unfortunately, according to the 2019 Global Peace Index, the UK doesn’t even make the top 10 for the world’s most peaceful countries.

The Global Peace Index - produced by the Institute for Economics and Peace - measures the level of societal safety and security; the extent of ongoing domestic and international conflict; and the degree of militarisation.

The Global Peace Index stated: “Half of the countries in Europe, the world’s most peaceful region, have deteriorated in peacefulness since 2008.

By HARRIET MALLINSON
19:06, Wed, Oct 9, 2019 | UPDATED: 19:07, Wed, Oct 9, 2019

WWIII Express

Sounds like a serious issue that can't get better, and will only continue to escalate until some one crosses a line. We already know terrorists will use a nuclear weapon if possible, rogue states will if the opportunity allows, and with perceived global tensions only getting worse, imagined or not, one day one time is all it's going to take me a to set off a chain reaction.

Is that really worth dismissing?
edit on 9-10-2019 by ADVISOR because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 12 2019 @ 04:05 AM
link   

World War 3:
Chilling map given to US citizens showing Nazi invasion revealed

Many historians dub the Cold War, which was naturally born out of World War 2, the closest mankind has ever come to a third global conflict. However, relationships were also strained before the events of 1939, following the Soviet invasions of several Baltic states and the joint invasion of Poland, which inevitably led to their expulsion from the League of Nations.

Despite this, the two superpowers put their problems aside in 1941 to fight a common enemy in Adolf Hitler and through the Lend-Lease Act, the US – with some help from the UK and Canada – supplied the USSR with around £100billion worth of supplies, including more than 14,000 planes, 44,000 jeeps, 375,000 trucks, 8,000 tractors and 12,000 tanks.

By CALLUM HOARE
PUBLISHED: 16:56, Fri, Oct 11, 2019
UPDATED: 17:00, Fri, Oct 11, 2019

Always keeping tabs on North Korea with public sources of information, it's no surprise they make bold claims between launches.

I'm not holding my breath, because it's only a matter of time before they really do manufacture a functional system.

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Looking like the UK Express is really on the WWIII bandwagon. Certainly has a cult following that's for sure.

From Doomsday Preppers to Xenophobic Isolationists, this niche topic has kept me coming back for follow ups.

World War 3: How 'incoming nuclear missile' fears sparked hurried US probe

An emergency meeting was called after a missile was launched

THE US came within minutes of potential nuclear destruction in the Eighties after early-warning sensors suggested a Soviet missile was on-track to strike forcing a threat assessment to be called, a group of concerned researchers revealed.

By CALLUM HOARE
PUBLISHED: 04:30, Sun, Oct 20, 2019

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Looks promising, as a historical reference how easy and close the world has been to a nuclear world war.

It seems that the common belief for decades has been that WWIII will be a nuclear holocaust causing mutually assured destruction. The fallout alone could be so devastating nature wouldn't made a recovery for centuries.

In the mean time, the hippies are crying about global warming. The real global warming is when the nukes radiation cooks us all...

A SOVIET spy, who was recruited by Britain and the US as a double agent, once sent an emergency code to MI6 warning that a nuclear strike was imminent, unearthed reports reveal.

Oleg Penkovsky was a Soviet military intelligence colonel during the late Fifties and early Sixties responsible for informing the UK about the Soviet emplacement of missiles in Cuba, to help build precise intelligence that led to the resolution of the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was the highest-ranking Soviet official to provide intelligence to the UK up until that time and is credited for being “the spy who saved the world” from all-out nuclear conflict, earning him the codename HERO for his efforts. However, what few know is that Penkovsky also almost started World War 3, too.

World War 3: Why spy sent imminent nuclear warning code to MI6 and CIA

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   

This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Fastfission.
Large version

en.wikipedia.org...#/media/File
oomsday_Clock_graph.svg
edit on 22-10-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Sounds like a serious issue that can't get better, and will only continue to escalate until some one crosses a line.

What is some dictator has terminal cancer and decides why not take the world with them.
Personally I think it has not been allowed to happen or it would have already. A lot of nuts at the top around the world.

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Syria and Hong Kong: Beware the tripwires for World War III

In June 1914, the assassination of Austria's Archduke Ferdinand triggered a chain of events that led to World War I and the eventual loss of more than 30 million lives.

The escalating rhetoric today regarding Syria and Hong Kong has the potential to turn dangerously high-risk conflicts into tripwires, which would set off confrontations that could spread across the globe.

Why are so many people willing to risk starting World War III? It's a question we should ponder in all seriousness.

With regard to Syria, the Russians are being pulled deeper into that region and soon will draw bright "red lines" that must never be crossed. In Hong Kong, the authoritarian government of the People's Republic of China soon may make those lines blood red.

It's in the news enough now that even without looking, these articles can be found.

Still seeing how many places are going from brush fire to forest fire as far as stability goes, is reminiscent of the 80s and 90s. I guess as a society we will never learn.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Looks like I can always depend on the Express for a good WWIII story. Not that it's an issue, I just don't see many other publications or articles as dedicated to that subject in circulation with such frequency.

WORLD WAR 3 contingency planning initiated Government proposals to cut phone lines around the UK in the event of an imminent nuclear strike, a historian claimed.

The idea for that was, after a nuclear war, you assume London is gone, and so there would be no Westminster, no Whitehall.

So it [the Government] would have to scatter across the country and break up into little chunks and each region would have its own bunker filled with local counsellors, local politicians and one Cabinet minister who would effectively be the Prime Minister of that little region.

World War 3: Secret plans to silence UK public after nuclear strike revealed

By CALLUM HOARE
PUBLISHED: 08:44, Mon, Nov 11, 2019
UPDATED: 11:26, Mon, Nov 11, 2019

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Why was the clock last set at 2 minutes to midnight? Does anyone know the actual reason or just all this yesteryear WW3 guff about superpowers wanting to nuke each other...

Seriously we live in a better informed international community in 2019. At the lower ranks level there may be some chatter of 'the enemy' or whats perceived as the enemy (if any) these days but at high levels I believe that the superpowers have a much better understanding. Wars these days are information and I can only see the likes of the nuclear weapons being unhooked, dismantled and put to bed increasingly around the world. We simply don't have any use for nuclear weapons anymore IMO. They have nukes so we must have them also? Maybe, but I don't believe any of the nuclear armed countries are anywhere near thinking of releasing that can of worms. They should be talking about a global de-nuclearisation maybe like one for one kindof trade-in. I'de like to see a Nation start that program and offer to disable a nuke in exchange for thier neighbour to do the same. Would be a good sign.. We have bombs that are powerful that aren't nuclear that are targeted and designed to disable targets and even without causing damage to living beings. I don't see why we need nuclear superweapons anymore.

edit on 9-12-2019 by lonnyz0ne because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-12-2019 by lonnyz0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Started the year off with a bang, that's for sure.

Certainly the value of keeping tabs on global war indicators, is nothing to be scoffed at. I'd hope any previous naysayers have opened their eyes to the real world.

Watch the 2020 Doomsday Clock Announcement

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists will host a live international news conference...

2 minutes until Midnight

Today's global political climate, is definitely not helping move away from midnight. That much is or should be, obvious to any one.

Sad thing is it doesn't look like they are trying to move away either.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day

Wait, no that's not sun shine...

The Doomsday Clock moved to 100 seconds to midnight – the closest symbolic point from an “apocalypse” since 1953.

The decision was made on Thursday by The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, which announced it from the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., on Thursday.

"We argued that the global situation was abnormal," Rachel Bronson, president and CEO of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, said during the press conference of the decision to keep last year's Clock the same, but noted that nuclear and climate situations are "worsening."

January 23, 2020
Last Update 4 hrs ago
Doomsday Clock moves to 100 seconds to midnight -- closest point to nuclear annihilation since Cold War

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Regardless of what does or does not occur, the rest of the universe will continue on, without missing a beat.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Regardless of what does or does not occur, the rest of the universe will continue on, without missing a beat.

Yes it will

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sounds horrible! However, casualties are underestimated.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join