It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Draining the Swamp vs The Fake News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
At this point, we know the news cycle.

Russia - nope
Racism - Smollet
Immigrants - SCOTUS ruling
Recession - DOW and Job numbers great

Nothing is sticking. It is getting so bad they are going back to past items (SCOTUS Kavanaugh) since the public is not backing an impeachment of the president. The noose is tightening and the media is going to have to make a choice. Pander or the truth and the longer they wait the harder it will be to recover.

That is it. The media, unbeknownst to many who just believe what they read, have been recycling the same news since before the election and after it is like a timed cycle. Many times in this forum people will state there is no proof. The orange man is simply bad and for some reason after decades of hating them I see people championing those who Trump wants to remove. The career politicians and lobbyists. Two stories I saw today hit the nail on the head with the fake news media reporting what the anti Trump base wants to hear.

Lobbying - The AP is reporting that President Trump has appointed more 'lobbyists' to his cabinet than any other president in recent years. This headline looks like he is not draining the swamp but instead filling it with those who he can control and who will benefit from his presidency. Well, those people who were appointed may have something else to say based on the POTUS's own bill that was passed. it also states that the monies used to lobby have gone up. Well, I would think so because there are so many anti-Trump efforts but if you read the article it is as if it is for Trump.

Link to AP Article = Fake News

Instead of staring down “the unholy alliance of lobbyists and donors and special interests” as Trump recently declared, the influence industry has flourished during his administration.

Trump’s hotel near the White House has been a magnet for lobbyists and foreign interests.

So a non-informed voter who reads a headline and a snippet simply thinks Trump is making money while in office and loves lobbyists. Both are not true.

Trump losing money in office

And this morning, the Washington Post reported that the Doral resort in Miami, Fl., previously the most money-making property in the Trump Organization, had seen its net operating income decline by 69 percent from 2015 to 2017, or from $13.8 million to $4.3 million. These reports come as the Trump Organization has seen its fortunes decline nationwide as controversies swirl around its namesake. “Being president has cost me a fortune — a tremendous fortune like you’ve never seen before,” Trump said to reporters last year.

He is not making more money while in office. And as for lobbyists, he passed the following legislation,

Trump draining the swamp

Under an executive order that Trump signed in the presence of the news media, every political appointee joining the executive branch on or after Jan. 20 — the day Trump took office — must agree to the lobbying bans. That includes avoiding, for five years after leaving, lobbying the agency they worked for. Another provision sets a two-year period during which appointees must avoid working on issues involving former employers or clients.

This is an amended order that was also issued by Obama so I do know that. Fact is that again the current administration is doing what passed administrations have and just making it better or actually enforcing existing laws.

Next is the media talking about the sudden retirement of GOP House seats. It is as if it is all crashing down according to Maddow and the Lemon Bunch when in reality, to me, they see the writing on the wall. The spigot of money from the government is drying up. Cuts all around and there should be. Some are leaving to run for local seats or to help out in other ways. It is just the way things work. One is stepping down because he just had a child.

Reasons to step down

The media is reporting that the GOP is all jumping ship. Realize, you had over 20 leave during midterms. It is just something that happens.

Bottom line. The Swamp is being drained, slowly but surely, and in the second term it is going to get even wilder.

So are you Fake News or for the continued Drain...slowly but surely.
edit on Seppm30pmf0000002019-09-17T12:52:12-05:001212 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on Seppm30pmf0000002019-09-17T13:43:45-05:000145 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

To me it doesn't seem like anything has changed at all. Lobbyists define domestic policy. The CFR defines foreign policy. We've had another round of Reagonomics and trickle down but as usual predictably all the billionaires did put all the tax cuts into their pockets and decided not to share.

The economy is a tricky thing. If you are a billionaire the economy is doing great! If you are worker making the median worker's wage I'm not sure things are improving that much or so slow it's irrelevant:

Percentage of people Employed

The jobs numbers are kind of meaningless unless you take into account percentage of people employed.

But more important than just job numbers is are wages rising faster than inflation:

Wage Growth

It turns out wages are NOT rising faster than inflation. In other words, everyone is taking a pay cut.

Purchasing Power of the Consumer Dollar

But if you want to say the DOW is doing great and job numbers are great implying Trump is doing a great job with the economy then have at it!! GO TRUMP!!! NEW JERSEY RULES!!!

However, if you want to have an honest and sincere discussion about the economy then you have to be a little more sophisticated with your math literacy.

Wealth inequality in this country is the highest it's ever been. It's obscene and immoral. So few people own so much of the nation's wealth it's practically a crisis!

People perception of wealth inequality is so off because of propaganda and anecdotal myopia it is practically a crime against God. This video show the difference between people's perception of wealth inequality and just how bad things really are in this country:

Wealth Inequality: Perception versus Reality Mind Boggling

edit on 17-9-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Yet we have silly posters here who proudly parrot whatever propaganda msnbc and the rest spew while ignorantly demeaning anyone who dares to question their agenda.

Thanks for the thread.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

However, if you want to have an honest and sincere discussion about the economy then you have to be a little more sophisticated with your math literacy.

Wealth inequality in this country is the highest it's ever been. It's obscene and immoral. So few people own so much of the nation's wealth it's practically a crisis! People perception of wealth inequality is so off because of propaganda and anecdotal myopia it is practically a crime against God.

This video show the difference between people's perception of wealth inequality and just how bad things really are in this country

According to you FRED link, jobs are rising. Like I stated. I work in an industry that deals directly with companies and payroll rolls. I have seen in the last 3 years hiring like i have not seen since the mid 90's. I know good strong job numbers are not the only indicator but it is a step in the right direction. Even if you want to say Obama started it, which he didn't, i would not care or fight it because i know it is getting better in the real world and not what the talking heads say.

Inflation and wage growth. It has been ridiculous for the last 2 decades. Remember 4 dollar gas? I do. The cost of goods outpacing wages but you also have a different consumer base. The middle class in 2000-2016 was replaced with dependent citizens who we told there was no hope but the government could help. They got a handouts, had rent paid for, phones paid for and spent their disposable income on X boxes, big screen TV's and 1000 dollar cell phones instead of saving to buy a home. So there were no large wage increases during this time but consumer goods were rising. Rent was rising. All the time the government was paying for it. All those people who were on welfare can now get jobs. They are out there. There are more jobs than people right now.

Wealth inequality is also directly related to the above. 15 years ago if you make 60k a year you were fine. Could buy a house, car, have a family and good health care. 60k is the poverty line in many cities now and it is not from the Federal government but from STATE taxes. Now that Trump has stated State taxes cannot be written off (why should they they are taxes for the state not fed) people freaked out. The STATE f'd the worker and not the FED. If you make less than 12-13 dollars an hour no you basically pay no income tax. Personally I got about 2-3k in total less taken out since the tax paln was put in place.

The video you posted, I watched it, but it is like watching videos about how minorities are targeted more by percentage. Well, where there is a larger group of people the percentage will be smaller. We as a country should not be concerned with how much the rich have. It has ALWAYS been this way. WE should be concerned with how we can boost the lower 40% as they stated in the video and it is not about taxing the rich more. Corporations should not either. It should all be fair. I would rather a flat tax than what we have but it is being simplified and it should to make it more fair.

In my opinion, the economy is doing great and if Obama was in office right now he would have 3 more Nobels if he had done what Trump has done.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You cant say that here... this is a trump page now

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Fake News = trump on tape admitting to rape.
Drain the swamp = trump seeing his own appointees and election staff go to prison, or get fired!
In the mind of the average trump fanboi both are winning.

The inherent waffling of the opening post is amusing, no Russia evidence, lol.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Say whatever you want but a silent fart would be better than your post Seriously, if you had something to add like he did, even though it was a different opinion, it creates conversation which is lacking on ATS right now.

It is either Orange Man Bad or Orange Man Bad...it is not a Trump site.

edit on Seppm30pmf0000002019-09-17T14:30:02-05:000202 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

Fake News = trump on tape admitting to rape. (Never said it like I said you are one of the LIV(low info voters)
Drain the swamp = trump seeing his own appointees and election staff go to prison, or get fired! (not one went to jail for anything they did while working for Trump. In fact, it was while working with Clinton Chief of Staff and Campaign manager John Podesta

In the mind of the average trump fanboi both are winning. No in the mind of the average american or those left behind by past administrations...

The inherent waffling of the opening post is amusing, no Russia evidence, lol No Russian interference to win his election. Now if you want to dicuss sanctions Trump applied we can do that

Bottom line is you had nothing of subtance to add but a cheap drive by off old bs talking points. Do you have nothing constructive to add???

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: dfnj2015

You cant say that here... this is a trump page now

It is a common sense site. Deny ignorance, my friend.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Draining the Swamp **IS** the fake news.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Elaborate...is it that you think it is still status quo or that Trump simply will not be able to get anything done with the obstructionist House?

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Nice attempt to put the House at the center of this. Trump made a big deal about 'draining the swamp' and has, instead, made it a cesspool filled with cronyism, self-dealing, and utter disregard for the law and ethics. Of course your ilk are blind to all of this. The biggest victims of Trump's 'trolling' is your lot.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
yah sure, you betcha, drain the swamp. ha

www.apnews.com...

"Former lobbyists run the Defense and Interior departments, Environmental Protection Agency and office of the U.S. Trade Representative. The acting Labor secretary, Pat Pizzella, is a former lobbyist and Trump’s pick to run the department, Eugene Scalia, also is an ex-lobbyist. Scalia’s confirmation hearing before a GOP-controlled Senate committee is scheduled for Thursday and Democrats are expected to grill him on his long record of opposing federal regulations .

A seventh ex-lobbyist, Dan Coats, resigned as Trump’s intelligence chief in August.

President Barack Obama had five former lobbyists in his Cabinet during two terms in office and President George W. Bush had three, also during eight years in the White House, according to lobbying and foreign agent disclosure records. The review was limited to the Trump, Obama and Bush administrations because prior to 1995 there was no central database of federal lobbying registrations and the law was hazy about who was supposed to register.

Shortly after taking office, Trump signed an executive order that revoked an Obama directive prohibiting lobbyists from being appointed to a post at a federal agency they’d lobbied within the last two years. While this “cooling off” period was cast aside, Trump’s order continued to bar for two years lobbyists-turned-government-employees from participating in particular matters that they’d lobbied on during the two preceding years.

“Without the cooling off period, these Cabinet heads appear to be serving their former employers’ and clients’ special interests,” said Virginia Canter, chief ethics counsel of the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington."

top topics

join