It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology lets a double amputee control his prosthetics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think this is pretty cool, ATS. A new technology called Modular Prosthetics that was developed by the John's Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory is allowing a double amputee to control his two prosthetic arms with his thoughts. A man named Les Baugh lost both his arms in an electrical accident 40 years ago, and now through the use of technology, he's able two control his arms through a reassigning of his nerves.

I had heard of this technology being possible but I had never seen it in action. Now it's here live and in stereo-Cyborgs anyone?

What says ATS?

chdr.tv...

edit on 15-9-2019 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Video won't work. Try this link.

chdr.tv...

edit on 15-9-2019 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Video still does not work and I could not find it.

But I found a article about those BMI (brain machine interface) and they are funded by DARPA. As it was to be expected, the article emphasizes on military. The first thing they talk about is cyber warfare and only then it is about prosthetic limbs.

www.jhuapl.edu...

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I suppose this is it.

ATTENTION: some people may find some of the images disturbing.

edit on 15/9/2019 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
So this is how the Borg begins...

Actually, this is really cool. So happy for this man, he will only get better at using them with time. In a few months of use, I bet he will be swinging them around like real arms, giving him back what he lost. Now it needs to be made affordable so that others with missing limbs can get this tech.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
As long as they are helping him I wish him the best in recovery.
If made more affordable it will allow for updates in the future. Perhaps allowing recipients of prosthetics opportunity to change their parts...

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Not long now until the streets are protected by..

Robocop..

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I just had to re-watch the part where he learns his new freedom a couple of times. Thank you for taking the time to look for this. This is how joy looks, I was really touched by it.

When I understand it correct, he needs to switch between the single movements? Look at 3:20 he can do that already very smooth. Now fast forward two years, a thought experiment:

He is sitting at the couch, looking TV. In the close distant, his open kitchen, you see one of his detached arms mounted to the kitchen top, slowly steering his cheese sauce until it is hot enough. He is now standing up, walking over to the stove. With an elegant swing of his shoulder, he remounts his arm *snap* while it grabs the pan and walks back to she couch. Now he picks out a single tortilla chip, dips it into the sauce, while he is sitting down.
*crunch* He points his index finger toward the TV and switches to his favorite channel.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
I suppose this is it.

ATTENTION: some people may find some of the images disturbing.

that's it.

new topics

top topics

join