It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.N. Workers Leave Kids, HIV Behind In Congo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Despite thier mandate to help keep order and improve quality of life in the Congo, some U.N. personnel did exactly the opposite. Hundreds of children fathered by the peacekeepers are routinely abandoned when thier 6 month term ends. Far worse is the toll in HIV. Many women have contracted the disease from unprotected sex with peacekeepers often for money.

www.foxnews.com
GOMA, Congo — Although U.N. peacekeepers were dispatched to the Congo to keep order and improve the lives of Congolese, some leave behind disease and heartbreak.

Juliette, a Congolese woman who had a relationship with a peacekeeper (search), is the mother of one of an estimated hundreds of mixed-race children abandoned by U.N. workers at the end of their 6-month tours of duty, despite an official policy of no contact between U.N. peacekeepers and local women.

"There is no help from the U.N.," Juliette said. "They just make women pregnant and leave. They never take care of their kids."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The U.N. needs to own up and assist these children and thier mothers. It is they who have failed the people of the Congo and at the very least they can help clean up the mess that they have made. The more and more the U.N. comes to light, the less relevant it seems in todays world. Its time for a total house cleaning particularly at the top. Given all of Kofi's failures, he should have been canned a long time ago

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
time for female peacekeepers ?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow, I think this is disgusting. When asked about the troops who have engaged in this crap,

He declined to "name and shame" countries whose troops have committed sex abuse, saying that would lead to less cooperation from the member states in cracking down on the exploitation.
~from another story in the series.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Countermeasures
time for female peacekeepers ?

Possibly, I do not know if there are any. I checked on the U.N. website and a search revealed nothing. My question is would they have enough to have a credible force? No, the U.N. brass need to crack down hard on this and put a stop to it. We were taught in the Boy Scouts to leave a campsite better than how we found it. Not leave behind raped children, babies and AIDS :shk:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wait, when the UN troops rape people and kill people, they evil left-wing killers, when the troops in Iraq do it it is "stress getting to them, following orders. WHen someone criticizes US troops for rape, torture, killing civillians, the person is Anti-American evil commie liberal and should be killed, when someone criticizes the UN troops for doing less then that the person is a good holy conservative man. WTF? Either rape, torture, and killing civillians is wrong, or it is right. Not wrong for UN, right for US.

I like that, Abu Gharib happens. Those poor soilders, so stressed, following orders. Another Abu gharib is found, those poor soilders. UN does less then that, THOSE EVIL LIBERAL COMMIE RAPISTS THEY SHOULD ALL BE KILLED!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
:shk: please show me the accounts from credible sources of American troops raping children, leaving behing 100's of babies, and starting an AIDS outbreak in the cities they are posted :shk:

Really now, Im amazed of the ability of some of the posters to turn anything into and anti-American / anti-Bush rant.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Fredt,

What does this have to do with Kofi and his 'failures'? Absolutely nothing. Kofi Annan may be the secretary general of the security council, but the U.N is a multifaceted organization with myriad of sub-institutions that work in many countries, with millions of workers; he cannot possibly be held accountable for the sexual devience of some arbritrary workers. It's like blaming Bush for an Iraqi women who was raped and contracted aids.

Im amazed of the ability of some of the posters to turn anything into and anti-American / anti-Bush rant.

I think he was pointing out the typical American hypocritical response to such circumstances.

Furthermore, you have no merit to decry the actions of the United Nations, nor can you logical detract thier voice on a gobal scale due to some arbritrary cases as such. Where you tried to make the logical conclusion that the U.N must be abolished due to this incident, is found only in your own myopia.

Once again, illogical at best. It's sad what has happened, but you cannot chide an entire organization for this.

Fredt, do me a favour and tell all those children that live off the charity of UNICEF your views.
Deep

[edit on 6-3-2005 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
I think he was pointing out the typical American hypocritical response to such circumstances.

Hardly hypocritical esp when it comes to the abuses at Abu Ghraib. Pointing out American problems hardly detracts from the issues raised in the Congo. However if people want to keep putting up those strawmen so be it.

The number of failures on kofi's watch are appaling. To say he is not repsonsable for one event may be okay but when compounded with the magnatude of all the other failures and scandals, its clear he is simply not an effective leader at all.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If anyone put up a straw man, it would you, my freind. Once again, you have not provided me evidence that this incident had anything to do with senior officials in the united nations, praticularly Kofi Annan. You simply used this incident to further degrade the image of man whom you believe to be a failure -- though you never provided those other failures.

Deep

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The numbers of failures of Bush is far more appaling then Kofi's. 9/11, releasing sensitive materials nearly killing a CIA agent who didn't bow down before him, using false info./lies to invade Iraq, stealing his first election, telling the world that what him and his people do should not be held accountable, using ear piece to help you in a debate against opponet, making people sign their souls to you before allowing them to come to a campaign stop to make sure no one who knows the truth/isn't ignorant doesn't make contact with you, planting a gay prostitute to ask easy questions/suck up during press conferences, hiring Karl Rove to discredit people in your own party with telemarketing calls starting out with "If you knew (insert name here) had 10 kids with other women other then his wife, would you be more or less likely to vote for him?" and the list goes on.

Although, the UN did vote yes for the invasion of Iraq. Of course, Bush told them that Iraq had nukes. The senate voted yes to! But Bush told them Iraq had nukes. Which of course was a lie, one the Bush&Co knew about and only said this so they could invade Iraq for oil. It is like me telling you that this guy broke into your house and stole your stuff, so you call the cops on him, and then later on it turns out no one broke in, I lied to you.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
If anyone put up a straw man, it would you, my freind.

Well lets take a looksee shall we at the great record of your favorite strawman shall we???

Genocide in Sudan

The United Nations suppresses its own report on ‘the world’s greatest humanitarian crisis’
Kofi's Failures #1

Rwanda Genocide

Maj. Gen. Romeo Dallaire, head of a U.N. peacekeeping mission in Rwanda, urgently pleaded with Mr. Annan to intervene before the killings began, because Mr. Dallaire knew of the preparations for the genocide. Mr. Annan refused to act, or to say anything publicly.
Kofi's Failures #2

UN chief's Rwanda genocide regret

The United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan has said he could and should have done more to stop the genocide in Rwanda 10 years ago.
At a memorial conference at the UN, Mr Annan said he realised he personally could have done more to rally support for international efforts to stop it.
news.bbc.co.uk...

East Timor

East Timor. In late August 1999, the UN and now Secretary General Annan, called for elections on the small island country of East Timor despite disturbing evidence that hard line elements in the Indonesian military were preparing to cause wide spread public disorder so as to disrupt the elections. The UN failed to provide adequate protection for the civilian population. Dili was burnt to the ground and East Timor was engulfed in violence. After weeks of killing and millions of dollars of damage, the Australian government sent in ground troops to restore order to East Timor; but by then, it was too late to save East Timor from UN bungling.
www.usasurvival.org...

Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone. So bad was the UN's conduct in Sierra Leone in June 2000 that their long time supporter and friend, Medicins Sans Frontieres, felt compelled to speak out and complain. MSF complained bitterly that the UN troops fled a RUF attack on the Sierra Leonean town of Kabala. In so doing MSF said that the UN had failed its mandate to protect civilian populations, many of whom were sick women and malnourished children in the MSF hospital.
www.usasurvival.org...

Cambodia. There is now mounting evidence that UN Peacekeeping troops actually caused an explosion of AIDS in Cambodia in 1992. In January of this year Richard Holbrooke, the then US Ambassador to the UN, launched an unprecedented attack upon the UN during his last UTN address saying ``..... it would be the cruelest of ironies if people who had come to end war ..... were spreading the most deadly of diseases ..... it will kill more people and undermine more societies than even the most critical conflicts we discuss here.'' And despite Ambassador Holbrooke's warnings there are concerns that right now in East Timor UN staff could be causing yet another AIDS epidemic. Some things just never seem to change.
www.usasurvival.org...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well we have seen Kofi the Humanitarian lets take a look at Kofi the administrator shall ???

U.N. Oil For Food Scandal Grows. Possibly the Largest in Human History
www.abovetopsecret.com...

UN staff ready historic no-confidence vote in Annan

United States Seen As A Savior By Many In Africa

The oil for food debacle alone should have gotten him canned:

Oil for Food Probe Includes Annan's Son

Probe: Saddam Made $21B From U.N. Oil For Food Program

How about those Peacekeeping operations?

Sex Ban On U.N. Peacekeepers In Congo Update:UN soldiers arrested

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
The numbers of failures of Bush is far more appaling then Kofi's. 9/11, releasing sensitive materials nearly killing a CIA agent who didn't bow down before him, using false info./lies to invade Iraq, stealing his first election,

:shk: same old rhetoric, James, what exactly does any of this Rant have to do with the failure of Kofi to adminsiter his position at the U.N.? Clearly more than 51% of Americans would disagree with you in regards tot he presidents performance. AT any rate as all of those issues are off the topic of Kofi's failures as a leader, I will not comment anymore about this in this thread, but I would be happy to take up the discussion in another one.

So Zero, should I keep posting more on the [Level II Sarcasm] excellent leadership [/Level II Sarcasm] that Kofi's has provided?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Fredt,

Tell me, what can the United Nations do without military and economic backing from member countries? Countries, like that of the U.S., who do not even pay thier long standing debt, nor comply with U.N resolutions or even the UD, have long been an impediment to the U.N's peace keeping efforts.

As for the genocide in Sudan, it is being battled diplomaticly without U.S. intervention may I add, nor a major military effort from the west. The U.N is virtualy left alone to throw sanctions with very little clout. Had major European and North American powers pressured Sudan more heavily, it may have been prevented.

Let's see how the U.N was not the only one responsible for the genocide in Rwanda,

www.thenation.com...

"Throughout the crisis, considerable U.S. resources--diplomatic, intelligence and military--and sizable bureaucracies of the U.S. government were trained on Rwanda. This system collected and analyzed information and sent it up to decision-makers so that all options could be properly considered and 'on the table.' Officials, particularly at the middle levels, sometimes met twice daily, drafting demarches, preparing press statements, meeting or speaking with foreign counterparts and other interlocutors, and briefing higher-ups. Indeed, the story of Rwanda for the U.S. is that officials knew so much, but still decided against taking action or leading other nations to prevent or stop the genocide. Despite Rwanda's low ranking in importance to U.S. interests, Clinton administration officials had tremendous capacity to be informed--and were informed--about the slaughter there."

I enjoyed very much the last few biased sites your propounded. Typical of America to plauge the media with Anti-UN propaganda, yet, are we well aware of thier intervention in East Timor; tell me you did not forget, fred.

www.gwu.edu...

Other documents found among State Department records at the National Archives elucidate the inner workings of U.S. policy toward the Indonesian crisis during 1975 and 1976. Besides confirming that Henry Kissinger and top advisers expected an eventual Indonesian takeover of East Timor, archival material shows that the Secretary of State fully understood that the invasion of East Timor involved the "illegal" use of U.S.-supplied military equipment because it was not used in self-defense as required by law.

Operation Komodo, a general invasion of East Timor, commenced the next day. In the following weeks a series of United Nations resolutions—supported by the U.S.—called for the withdrawal of the Indonesian troops.(16) An estimated 20,000 Indonesian troops were deployed to the region by the end of the month. While casualty estimates vary, anywhere from 60,000-100,000 Timorese were probably killed in the first year after the violence began in 1975.(17) In 1979 the U.S. Agency for International Development estimated that 300,000 East Timorese—nearly half the population—had been uprooted and moved into camps controlled by Indonesian armed forces. By 1980 the occupation had left more than 100,000 dead from military action, starvation or disease, with some estimates running as high as 230,000.(18)

You also seem to have forgoten the effort by the United Nations to help Indonesia after the Tsumani, and the amazing work done by it's members to stabalize peace in that part of the world and contrive billions for relief efforts.

Regardless of this, you don't seem to understand that the U.N is only as powerfull and effective as it's member countries allow it to be in regards to preventing genocides as such, as being that the United Nations entire budget is funded by them.

Kofi Annan had nothing to do with this rape case, and you have no reason to insinuate as such; you have just used this to blanket your hatred towards him and call him a failure when in reality many other goverments could be blamed for his inactions. Unless you can prove that Kofi Anna was directly accountable for these cases of rape and HIV, you have no case here to ask him and the United Nations to step down -- as absolutely illogical as it was.

The United Nations in not defunct.

Deep

top topics

join