It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunting with bows for hobby -not survival

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What is your opinion about hunting with bows for hobby?

Note: This is not about survival, it is about the type of hunter who does it for hobby (no judgement here) and chooses a bow for hunting because of personal preferences. Let us assume he knows how to handle that bow. I want to discuss the morals behind this:

I am aware nature is cruel. But the hobby hunter has a choice to make. I am aware that a firearm is no guarantee for a one-kill-shot. I am aware that bow hunters might take their extra time to make sure it is a kill hit.

But the chances to accomplish this with a firearm is much higher. Faster reloading, faster target re-aim, more accuracy, expanding bullets. The chances for a clean heart chamber shot are much higher with a firearm than with a bow.

My personal opinion:
Hunting with a bow for hobby as a exclusive choice for whatever reason is irresponsible

Change my opinion, I am open for arguments that are not about the hunters well being / masculinity / personal preference. Is it morally okay to choose a inferior weapon out of some personal reasons?

This is not about survival, but hobby.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

By framing the argument the way you have done takes out of the equation why most hunters use a bow.

It's a really good skillset to have if you need it.

After all, nobody is making a gun and the bullets for it to survive if need be, but it's quite possible to make a workable bow and a set of arrows with nothing but what nature provides in most environments.

The skill of being able to approach an animal close enough to assure success is something you also need to factor in.

Now it's my personal preference because that's the way my People have fed themselves since long before the white man showed up on our shores...

But that would be another argument entirely, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari
Yes I thought that by defining my reasoning I may have restricted it a bit much.

I just wanted to make clear I am coming from a moral standpoint (not cause unnecessary suffering because we can avoid it). I agree it is a skill that is useful if you need it. I totally get it.

How high is the takeout rate with a bow, once you released the arrow? I guess you are using a compound or similar high strength bow.

Will they be able to get some distance to you before they break down or is it "lights out" most of the time instantly?

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Let’s look at what is deer hunting season for Ohio:

Deer archery: Sept. 28, 2019-Feb. 2, 2020
Youth deer gun: Nov. 23-24, 2019
Deer gun: Dec. 2-8, 2019; Dec. 21-22, 2019
Deer muzzleloader: Jan. 4-7, 2020

For Kentucky

Archery Sept. 7, 2019 - Jan. 20, 2020
Crossbow Sept. 21, 2019 - Jan. 20, 2020
Youth-only Gun Oct. 12-13, 2019
Muzzleloader Oct. 19-20, 2019 Dec. 14-22, 2019
Modern Gun Nov. 9 - Nov. 24, 2019
Free Youth Weekend Dec. 28-29, 2019

For Indiana

Firearms Nov. 16 – Dec 1, 2019
Archery Oct. 1, 2019 to Jan. 5, 2020.
Muzzleloader Dec. 7-22, 2019

As you can see, you have more opportunities bow hunting than any other weapon. Only 8 days in Ohio for modern guns be it a rifle or slugs out of a shotgun versus three months with a bow or crossbow. Unless you hunt with a muzzleloader as well or are under 18.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I've been bow hunting for 20+ years, using both compound and recurves.

It takes much more discipline and care to be at such close range. The slightest creak from a cold bow limb (or cam, on a compound) will usually alert your game.
Weather, and time of day are huge factors due to humidity and temp/ wind fluctuations carrying your scent to your prey.

There are many factors that must all be perfect before you have a chance to make a clean kill.

It can be very hard on the body as you are to hold perfectly still for an hour in extreme cold, then slowly stand and draw your bow. Let alone be able to hold a bow a full draw for what seems like forever at times.

The deer around here seem to be psychic and stop directly in front of a branch or sapling that will surely deflect your arrow.

It takes a lot more patience, drive, and determination to be a bow hunter.

That being said , it is quite rewarding when it is successfully done.

I forgot to mention, last year I had quite an amazing buck in my shooting lane. As i stood to draw when he moved his head (obscuring his seeing me stand to draw) my elbow gave out an explosive crack- sending my buck running into the woods.

To many years of swinging a hammer makes your joints stiff and creaky....

Adds to the challenges I guess!

edit on 15-9-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar
You mean the government makes it attractive by over-regulating the firearm use?

A table like yours in my country would just say like:
Deer: 1. October to 15. January, for example.
Boars: All year round except females and their shoats.

We have a huge boar problem, hunters here can get silencers and military grade night vision if they apply. It is that bad.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I appreciate your thinking, but it may be a bit uninformed. Real cruelty is being raised in a cage, like most of big Ags model. More than 300 head an acre on many ranches, being fed a mono-crop diet and full knowledge of your impending death, often done by the "hands" of a machine.

Deer populations are on the rise. This in turn raises the population of predators, which in turn hunt humans. Please note the more frequent Mt lion attacks of late out west.

These large populations of deer decimate the ecology, utterly destroying stands of underpopulated endangered plants like ginseng etc...

Competing for forage, many of the deer starve or pick up diseases which they in turn spread.

The bow, and to a lesser extent rifle are efficient methods for culling local populations and keeping a little order in the ecosystem.

Avid bow hunters, are fantastic shots, often times vastly better practiced than a lot of the rifle hunters out there.

Finally, sure there are a number of trophy hunters out there...I dont speak for them, but those of us that hunt, no matter the implement, are vastly more moral, economical and ecological than those who dont.
edit on 15-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here, if you are a hunter and your shot/kill ratio is not in the 1-2 range you are deemed uncapeable and a disgrace to the hunting community. Taking a second shot is frowned at.

Maybe that explains part of my stance on this topic. I really would be interested in try/actual kill rates with bow hunting, that would help getting me a better picture.

thank you all for the input so far

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I appreciate your thinking, but it may be a bit uninformed. Real cruelty is being raised in a cage, like most of big Ags model. More than 300 head an acre on many ranches, being fed a mono-crop diet and full knowledge of your impending death, often done by the "hands" of a machine.

I find this a bit whataboutism-ish, your first part of the post. Not going to argue with you on that, as I wrote in my first message. This is not hunting, the topic is hunting and I know nature is much more cruel.

I agree on the rest of your post though.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I am a rifle and occasional pistol hunter, so I will let the bow folks speak for themselves, but the only time I see undue suffering in most any arena:

When impatient, poorly practiced, undisciplined people participate in pretty much anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It's Kuntish

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

There are many different types of "hunters".

I live in northwest Wisconsin, and we have a very strong and capable hunting community.
However this is "up north" to the tourists who come up for gun deer season. For some reason, many of them seem to think drinking beer in their stands and shooting at sounds is acceptable .

Those are not hunters.

In fact, I have a 5 gallon bucket full of their trail/deerstand reflective tacks that they use to mark their locations.

When we see those tacks, we pull them, as it means another tourist who doesn't know or care to learn the woods they're shooting up.

They are usually very close to the brand new, super trucks with coolers full of beer/booze in the bed for some reason.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

When impatient, poorly practiced, undisciplined people participate in pretty much anything.

I agree. That is the paint you are painted if you can not achieve a tight one shot one kill ratio here. It is of course known that not each shot can be like that but it is expected that the one hunting will try to nullify the risks.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:12 AM
link   

That's in my bucket list. I didn't yet because I need a truck to carry the deer and no place for the butcher part of the hobby.

I'd feel bad about killing the animal until it's ready to eat.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

I agree too. I kind of did not touch this topic because I did not want to come across like I would put bow hunters into a category.

Like I wrote I am open to have my mind changed. So far I have heard reasonable arguments from various viewpoints. In the end I also have to acknowledge that here it is a bit different. We do not have huge untouched forests, most of the forests, except black forest and Bavarian forest are a bit isolated from each other.

No one here is going to feed themselves from hunting for long, I guarantee.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
What is your opinion about hunting with bows for hobby?

What is your opinion about hunting with bows professionally?

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses
I see through this and I will answer with a nother counter-question, because it seems like this is your standard or mode of operandi:

Can you read the second sentence in my original message? Then you maybe get that I talk about hunters that one day decided to become one, for own reasons and not survival.

Now I answer your question:
Answer: I do not have one yet.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ha this will be hugely unpopular.. I have hunted in the past, so ill get that out of the way so people don't think I know nothing about taking animal life. Okay... We are here to overcome base lower animalistic desires. Stalking and killing for the thrill is just that. If you are really HONEST with yourselves.
edit on 15-9-2019 by TheGreatWork because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreatWork
One of the reasons I hunt is for the thrill of the stalk and kill, why is that bad? We are animals. should we not engage in sex if we do not want children? Or engage in any other "animalistic" behaviors because we no longer "need" to? We are here to experience reality not answer all its questions.
to the op i hunt with a 60# recurve with carbon shaft arrows and modern broadheads, i am quite capable with it, i only take shots i know i can make and try not to cause undue suffering to the animal. my shot to kill for large game is nearly one for one, small game not so much but thats a different story.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aryabhata
a reply to: TheGreatWork
One of the reasons I hunt is for the thrill of the stalk and kill, why is that bad? We are animals. should we not engage in sex if we do not want children? Or engage in any other "animalistic" behaviors because we no longer "need" to? We are here to experience reality not answer all its questions.
to the op i hunt with a 60# recurve with carbon shaft arrows and modern broadheads, i am quite capable with it, i only take shots i know i can make and try not to cause undue suffering to the animal. my shot to kill for large game is nearly one for one, small game not so much but thats a different story.

I don't think you realize what you said. "I see primitive beasts doing it, so I will too". We graduated from the animal kingdom already. That is why we are now human. One of the biggest causes of suffering is relating ourselves to the lower kingdoms as far as our behavior. Sex to make children is different than the kind of sex people engage in today. Tell me, since we are suppose to be creators, what do you create from killing? I am not judging you, again I have hunted in the past, I just see things differently now as I read more and more into our past, philosophy, the mysteries, etc.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join