It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Faster Than Light Issue

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: tarifa37
a reply to: TheRedneck

Fantastic detailed answer. However if you are on a travelator at an airport. If you stay still you are moving at say 5mph but if you start walking your speed relative to the ground increases to approx 9 mph and you reach the end quicker. In a space ship
a mile long traveling at the speed of light you are at the back . There is a finish line to your journey. If you run the mile from the back to the front of the ship you will pass the finish line a micron of a split second faster than if you stayed seated at the back. Thus you must have exceeded the speed of light ?

No and I linked you to the actual explanation of how to add relativistic velocities a page or two back.

The formula is there and has been confirmed in particle accelerators many times.
So use it.

Harte

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Redneck didn't I read somewhere that one of the speculations as to why it is impossible to reach the speed of light is that the closer that anything with mass comes to the speed of light the more your energy increases?
Your energy would have to become infinite in order to reach absolute light speed?
Wouldn't living beings be killed at that point?
Would pretty much anything as we know it be destroyed?

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tarifa37

The thing is, the finish line changes depending on what frame of reference you are in. Looking at that spaceship moving at c relative to you, the distance the traveler moved crossing the ship is exactly zero, so he never moves faster than the speed of light.

Also, time appears to have stopped aboard the spaceship, so the traveler never appears to move while the ship is traveling at c. To the traveler, you have stopped in time, but to you, the traveler has. You and he are in different time lines that begin to re-converge when he drops out of light speed.

It gets even weirder when you realize that in reality, every planet is moving relative to every other planet. So all three people in my first post, Person A, Person B, and Person C, are in different time frames and see time around the other two as different from their own.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

So traveling within an inertial frame means traveling locally as opposed to, say an entire galaxy traveling faster then light due to the universe itself ( the fabric of space) expanding?

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

Apparent mass would become infinite. Remember that from the point of view of the traveler, nothing will have changed for him; everything he is passing at c is being affected by relativity. That's why it is called "relativity." All motion is relative, and there is no such thing as absolute motion.

So no, it wouldn't be physically dangerous to travel at c. It would just look dangerous to anyone trying to see it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: Peeple

Maybe God created the universe as large as it is, so there could be no interaction between alien species.

Who knows.

God would have to first actually be real. Which there is zero proof of.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Krakatoa

Oh yeah forgot about that. Well black triangle craft use mass nullifiers to achieve their flight characteristics so I guess the largest ones for interstellar travel do as well.

Or they essentially "implode" into non-space and how they vector into it determines where they end up. Bypassing all the junk.

Submerge into subspace perhaps?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: tarifa37
What happens if you have a ship that can travel at the speed of light and someone from the back of the spaceship walks to the front.. they would now be exceeding the speed of light . So what would happen to them.? because if it's impossible to exceed the speed of light would you be stopped from walking from the back of the spacecraft to the front whilst travelling at the speed of light ?

🤯

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Humans have broken countless barriers over the years and I have no concerns at all that we will come up with workarounds and means of traversing the universe quicker than conventional straight-line travel in future. We once thought it would always take months to go round the world by water, then we created aeroplanes and jet fuel and now we can do it in hours. Technology will get us there.

Don't underestimate human innovation.

Light speed travel would be hugely inefficient. Even if we could travel at ten times the speed of light, it would still take eons to traverse the vastness of space. The only answer is shortcuts - warp bubbles, wormholes, etc - so whilst our current science tells us that it takes massive amounts of energy to create a wormhole, but there is so much that we don't know about the universe yet that it would be arrogant to assume that this limitation could never change.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
All of that has been known for a century now apart from the pseudo science gibberish at the end.

You mention the LHC as being silly, then mention the Higgs field, of which it's particle was validated there lol.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I don't GAF how fast anything goes, just don't cut me off, use your blinker, stay out of the faster lane, and for Fs sake, don't run over bikers or pedestrians, pay attention.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JonathanNicholas

so does this mean that photons have infinite energy ?
if they can travel at the speed of light as they have no mass , then surely we could harness the infinite energy of light ?

Also I'm thinking since our awareness doesn't have mass it would explain how you can travel anywhere in the universe and anywhere in time with your awareness as shown by CRV almost instantaneously

edit on 18-9-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gyo01
I don't GAF how fast anything goes, just don't cut me off, use your blinker, stay out of the faster lane, and for Fs sake, don't run over bikers or pedestrians, pay attention.

I thought it would be super hard to cut off sonic the hedgehog

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

That's a flaw in the model.

Photons travel at velocity c. Photons have energy, given by λ = hcE, and therefore have a mass equivalence given by E = mc^2. At velocity c, that mass equivalence must be infinity. If the mass is infinity, it required infinite energy to achieve velocity c, which is impossible. In other words, according to present physics, light cannot exist.

The equations are not complete.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

That's a flaw in the model.

Photons travel at velocity c. Photons have energy, given by λ = hcE, and therefore have a mass equivalence given by E = mc^2. At velocity c, that mass equivalence must be infinity. If the mass is infinity, it required infinite energy to achieve velocity c, which is impossible. In other words, according to present physics, light cannot exist.

The equations are not complete.

TheRedneck

You are using two different masses, or their equivalences and compare them.
One: photons have no rest mass.
Two: you did not calculate the mass but the impulse of a photon.

Photons have no rest mass, because they have no rest. They simply cannot have v=0.
If you slow them down to velocity zero, they cease to exist as they are absorbed into the material.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

thats pretty trippy!

If something had infinite mass wouldnt that make it have a really strong gravitational effect like a black hole

is it because of this "infinite mass" that light is actually affected by gravity , in the sense of gravitational lensing

its all very interesting , let me go complete that equation!

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

what process is happening for the photons to simply disappear

the research shown in the link below

shows that the photons can be frozen but it doesnt mention anything of their disappearance

Slowing the speed of light to zero

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So what if instead of building a spaceship that can travel at the speed of light and warping space in front of the ship we tried something different.

Suppose we use something already traveling at the speed of light (a photon) and instead of building a device to warp a huge area in front of a spaceship we build a device capable of warping a microscopic portion of spacetime in front of us on planet earth and send the photons throught the microscopic worm hole in a morse code pattern.

If a photon left a transmitter.....traveled through a microscopic wormhole that warped spaced. Couldn't it be possible that the photon could arrive at a receiver before it was actually sent?

If it arrived in a morse code pattern would that not effectively be faster than light communication?

Im sure it would be a daunting task but it would seem more feasible to build than a huge spaceship capable of near light speed travel and then building a machine capable of warping the spacetime of a huge area in front of that ship. The space warp machine would be enormous and the ship would struggle to carry it. It would be an Engineering nightmare.

Building a device capable of affecting a microscopic region of space should be more feasible. Using something already traveling at light speed is a no brainer.

Is there any Quantum law that would prohibit this from working?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Excellent post. Thanks. See my post about faster than light comunication using photons. I made my comments before reading about the experiments you referenced.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: BenjanonFranklin

well looks like our scientist friends in the Netherlands have managed to pack an impressive 10 bits onto a photon

the article
single photon carries 10 bits

the paper
transmitting more than 10bit with a single photon

this maybe useful if they were to combine it with the set up you envisioned in your post.

edit on 18-9-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join