It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple might be secretly glitching older iPhones

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ATruGod

This seems like a dubious stretch, so I'll take a look. I wasn't really interested, but if you're going to push it on me...

I'll edit this, if I feel like your citation has enough credence to warrant my response.

EDIT: Adam Sarhan is making the claim that Apple "admitted" yada yada...

Ok... I'm sure Adam Sarhan posts citations in his blog post...

Annnndddd... no.

Hit me with the direct citation, then we'll talk, chief. This is here say, or a third hand account.
edit on 14-9-2019 by Archivalist because: meh

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Aside from the fact its common sense what you said makes no sense...it was literally posted in here how apple admitted to it and have been caught doing it if I'm not mistaken more than once...once already linked here...so the rest of your long winded Apple kiss ads best company ever post is literally meaningless to the topic of the OP. But yes tell us more about how its the best company ever and would never do such dishonest things to their customers...

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

So... They tweak the update for older battery models, so the phone battery doesn't decrease significantly.

They're getting sued over the performance throttle...

Honestly, Apple had to make a choice, and they made the right one.
The consumer is choosing the wrong choice here, but what do I know? meh.

If I have to pick between optimal phone performance or extra battery life, I pick extra battery life.
As Apple should have, and did.
They take a class action here, that's better than if someone not having their phone, lead to a death or serious injury during a crisis or emergency situation.

Lawsuits for the latter are worse.

Apple made the correct decision. I don't get the whining over this dispute.

If the inverse was revealed, Apple would be getting grilled FAR worse.
Phone batteries going out, due to a manufacturer update causing problems where someone needed to dial 911, but their phone was dead because of a software update is some serious business. This is the situation that would have resulted otherwise.

The third option is Apple not push software update for the older phones. Again, consumers would complain about not getting the latest software.

Cost of doing business trade off.

They are not a bad company, for making the correct call.

Like I said before, customers are their most valuable asset. Apple protects the customer.

The customer doesn't always understand every detail.

Here's an example. Apple iPhone batteries had a period, (many years ago) where the battery would expand, and the device would break.
Customers complained, as though this was an issue. They thought there was some manufacturing error causing the problem.

Apple was protecting customers. They were actually designed to do this. "Gee willickers! Why would they design the battery to expand and break the device?!!!?"
Because, the alternative is the battery exploding or catching fire. -ahem-
They designed their batteries to expand, when releasing that type of energy. Rather than explosive combustion, as some Apple competitors explored, instead.

Apple is always watching out for the customer, even when the customer doesn't realize it.
edit on 14-9-2019 by Archivalist because: meh

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Third that.

It’s been known Apple sabotages older phones when new ones come out.

I’ve been using them for over a decade. They turn to sh!t, right at the anniversary of its 3rd year. It’s like clockwork every time.

I still deal with it though. They are a superior smart phone to the competition. User friendly.

And yes, that means I upgrade every 2-3 years. You have to.

Well: one of us has to.
And it ain't me...

IMHO: nothing about planned obsolescence, is 'superior'.
It's just capitulating to taking a big corporate fist, up the old wazoo.

Please don't take it personal, and get angry with me.
Am no better.
Just stating 'our' conundrum, in a different way.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I love the fact people know this happens and yet still buy a new iPhone. The irony is so sweet it tastes like honey.

Here's a pro tip. Stop buying from companies that show contempt for their consumer base.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Joneselius

Stop buying from companies that show contempt for their consumer base.

Easy peasy.

But iPhones are the grooviest, man!

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Probably coincidental, but my older IPad started taking a crap yesterday.
First time its ever done that.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
I still deal with it though. They are a superior smart phone to the competition. User friendly.

And yes, that means I upgrade every 2-3 years. You have to.

Absolutely not. You're completely incorrect. Do any amount of comparing of technical specs and you'll see that that's blatantly false. Let's compare the latest top of the line iPhone with a comparable Android:

Latest iPhone 11 Pro Max / Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Display: 1242x2688 / 1440 x 3040
Pixel Density: 456 ppi / 498 ppi
Processor: 6-core 2650 MHz / 8-core 2840 MHz
RAM: 4 GB / 12 GB
Storage: 64 GB not expandable / 256 GB + MicroSDXC up to 2 TB
Battery: 3500 mAh / 4300 mAh
Rear Camera: Triple / Quad

Here's some other comparisons for you:
Latest iPhone 11 Pro Max / Huawei P30 Pro
Camera: 12 MP / 40 MP
As you can see here, Apple is nowhere near touching the camera quality of the Huawei P30 Pro.

Latest iPhone 11 Pro Max / Moto G7 Power
Battery: 3500 mAh / 5000 mAh

At one time, Apple's latest and greatest iPhone actually had inferior specs to a $100 Android phone that I had. Realistically, the top iPhone should currently be priced at about $300 TOPS, definitely not $1,000.
If you think you have to upgrade your phone every 2 or 3 years, you're using garbage phones. I've kept all my smartphones and I have one that's 8 years old and still works perfect.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Your post may or may not have some fallacies, but if we are exclusively bashing Apple over shadey business practices, let's share the love.

"Huawei P30 Pro Camera 40 Megapixels Or 40 Loads of BS?"
www.theverge.com...

"Boohoo, Apple has high margins, they're bad."

Nope, they're American. If they have a good or service, they are entitled to charge what the public will pay.

It's not all brand fluff though.
Buying a product from them, is not about the hardware, by itself. That's only part of the full customer experience, and Apple makes their own operating system, from scratch. They're not putting skins on Android or using Android straight up.

Every manufacturer you listed is using some flavor of Android... Except Apple.

It's a major differentiator, if you have to develop all hardware and software in house, to work together, from the ground up.

You're entitled to the cost of frozen food product at the store, when you're at the store, but people pay more at a restaurant for that same frozen food prepared FOR them.
People expect to pay MORE money, if the food was made from scratch at that restaurant, and was NOT a prebought frozen food product.

Apple is a fair company, charging fair value, because it's not about JUST hardware, or JUST software.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My wife and I both have an iphone 6s, and all of the sudden in the last couple weeks, BOTH phones suddenly developed a problem where the screen becomes completely unresponsive at random times. I could be doing something simple like scrolling through a website and suddenly the screen doesn't respond any more, just freezes. Have to hit the power button to put it to sleep and then re-open the phone to get it to work again.

Seems super suspicious that it happened to two phones at the same time...

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Solution: Stop using Apple products.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
They must have stolen Vizio’s TV playbook. 2 years tops before the TV becomes trash, the automatic software updates I believe have a built in obsolescence bug in it.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I have an old 4s, no problems here, haven't even broke anything yet!

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We need a third player in the market. Google is evil, as most of us are aware. Apple is just as bad but at least come off as wanting to be honest.

We're screwed.

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well.... I'm a child of an old product developer of one of the biggest (used to be) tech conglomerates of the world and I've heared story's about planned obsolescence for about 40 years.

I know planned obsolescence was the case for about half of every CRT tv (Color Ray Tube) worldwide and every light bulb.

So why do you think Apple wouldn't?

Are you sure Apple is the ONE tech conglomerate that doesn't?

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

Apple making an OS from scratch? Really?
What a dumb claim!
It's based on UNIX!

... ''
The operating system used on Apple's iPhones, now called iOS, is derived from Mac OS X and therefore also a Unix variant. ... This desktop environment is built on top of a Unix type OS just as the desktop environments of Linux distros are built on top of the core Linux OS."...

And Android too!

What a stupid claim. It's NEVER from scratch as it is all a UNIX variation.

edit on 14-9-2019 by Daalder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Software developers update their product to take advantage of advances in tech, requiring everybody to keep updating their home tech to keep it compatible when maybe what they were using was just fine for their needs already. It's part of Artificial Intelligence's plan of total control and manipulation without us ever being aware of it. Constant upgrade / update, paid for it by you and me.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You're lucky that Apple doesn't just send out an update that automatically bricks all the old model

It's likely that these old models are just having issues, after all, they're pretty old.

iPhone 6 is like what, 2014 or 2015? Stop whining that your 5 year old electronics have packed up.

posted on Sep, 15 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Daalder

Relative to what Samsung does to android, iOS is as scratch as it gets.

Let me revise my claim.

"From scratch as a developer needs to."

Who is going to reinvent UNIX? When they're building cars, they don't reinvent wheels.

Your counter is a terrible strawman in this case, I'm not addressing you any further.

Your argument is semantically correct, from a raw technical standpoint. My original "from scratch" claim is valid from my point of view.

From scratch biscuits does not mean the restaurant grew the wheat, then milled it for the flour, using a mill they self constructed from rocks and raw material.

Aka, you're trying to look like a full smart jackass, in my opinion you get half credit.
edit on 15-9-2019 by Archivalist because: Meh

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join