It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tommy Robinson: freed from jail after nine weeks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
So I figured that given the lively debate that went on on ATS when he was found guilty of contempt of court a couple of months ago that quite a few might find this to be of interest.

Tommy Robinson has been released from jail after nine weeks following his sentence for contempt of court.

His sentence in July was reduced to 19 weeks due his previous time in prison for the same offence, and he was told he would be released after serving half of it.

Sky News

Personally I think if you take out the politics of this and just look at it as someone serving only half of their time its pretty awful but sadly very common in the UK Judiciary where a convicted criminal serves only a fraction of the sentence handed down at trial. The length of the sentence should be a deterrent yet this happens all the time where criminals are released early. I would not be surprised if some of the monsters that he was filming are also released early having not completed their full sentence.

Just the other day for example there was a 16 year old who was sentenced for the rape and murder of a 6 year old who had his sentence reduced from 27 years (already pathetically short for the crime he committed) down to 24.

I think thats more of my issue here its just simply that if your sentenced for a crime then you do the time, not half of it. Regardless of what anyone might have thought of the original ruling he broke the law and I believe should serve the time stipulated by the courts.

Anyway am sure some of his supporters on ATS are going to be very happy that Wee Stevie is out of the jail.

edit on 13-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Better stock up on milkshakes

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Well, I suppose he can go and see his fan club in the States. No, wait - they won't let him in. Looks like we're stuck with him. I imagine he'll be on his best behaviour.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

these numbers aren't all that unusual in Europe. Sentences are generally shorter than the US, and people are more likely to be sentenced to community services. Europe doesn't have the death penalty, and once convicted a prisoner is more likey to get parole and less likely to be put in solitary.

The Europeans are "mostly" happy with this and see the kind of sentencing that the US has (particularly in relation to things like weed possession) as being draconian. America is spoke about in the same breath as Iran and China when it comes to prisons and sentencing.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, I suppose he can go and see his fan club in the States. No, wait - they won't let him in. Looks like we're stuck with him. I imagine he'll be on his best behaviour.

The other thing that annoys me about this is it really feeds into the whole martyr thing, 9 weeks was probably the perfect length of time for Wee Stevie if you think about it. I don't think he's going to be on his best behaviour I think he's going to be doubling on what he was doing before he was sent to jail and using his 9 week stint as for more publicity.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

.....am from the UK.

My point is that I don't think our custodial sentences are fit for purpose and that in some ways we need must stricter and harsher punishments for the most serious crimes (not talking about wee Stevie here) and if you are sent down for 19 weeks your in for 19 weeks.

I think most in the UK would agree that our system of punishing criminals is shocking.

Lots of stuff in the press the other day about how rapists are walking free and the list really goes on its a mess.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Well he is released on licence, so will be returned to prision if he misbehaves where he can serve his full term.

While I don't like Tommy Robinson, we have to accept that people like him exist and have to be tolerated in our society. The interesting part (to me at least) is that a good portion of his support comes from the USA who seem to think he's some kind of Saint. He's not.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

While I don't like Tommy Robinson, we have to accept that people like him exist and have to be tolerated in our society.

Yeah I agree I think we need to accept that we're not always going to like someone else's views but that doesn't mean they should be in jail over them. I think its much better to challenge these views and expose them for what they are rather than shut these people up.

Its interesting though how much support he gets from America despite him not being aloud to enter.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Oh dear, I see that Yaxley-Lennon is out again is he? Has he actually learnt his lesson about almost causing mistrials, or is he going to blunder into more courtrooms and screw up yet again?
I have no idea why people like this twit. He's a total numpty.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

He will have his begging bowl out first.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Anyway am sure some of his supporters on ATS are going to be very happy that Wee Stevie is out of the jail.

And I'm sure you'd like to see him rot in prison forever regardless of what crimes he committed. I certainly am glad to see someone who didn't deserve to be in prison in the first place get out, because I'm not a pathetic vengeful person.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

And I'm sure you'd like to see him rot in prison forever regardless of what crimes he committed.

No I would like to see him serve the full sentence he was supposed to serve for breaking the law.

I certainly am glad to see someone who didn't deserve to be in prison in the first place get out, because I'm not a pathetic vengeful person.

He broke the law though....

Also I am going to assume that you don't mean to imply that a fellow member is a "Pathetic Vengeful person" because they happen to hold a different view from you, that would be a rather poor show.

edit on 13-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   

No I would like to see him serve the full sentence he was supposed to serve for breaking the law.

Oh please, cry me a river. He has been in prison twice now for the same offense and spent a large amount of time in solitary confinement, I think he has more than paid the price for the non-crime he committed. Sentences are often cut short for various reasons, the only reason it upsets you so much in this case is due to who the person is.

Also I am going to assume that you don't mean to imply that a fellow member is a "Pathetic Vengeful person" because they happen to hold a different view from you, that would be a rather poor show.

I'm saying that anyone who enjoys seeing people stripped of liberty and freedom due to their political position is spiteful and pathetic. If that happens to describe you it's not my fault.
edit on 13/9/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I'm saying that anyone who enjoys seeing people stripped of liberty and freedom due to their political position is spiteful and pathetic. If that happens to describe you it's not my fault.

Well it does not describe me I only believe that he should be serving the time the judge handed down at his trial because he was found guilty of breaking the law.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The instigator master bullsheeter. We don't need that prick on the road.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well it does not describe me I only believe that he should be serving the time the judge handed down at his trial because he was found guilty of breaking the law.

I too would rather people caught with a couple grams of pot serve their full sentence for their non-violent crime.........

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
In Canada you serve 2/3rds of your sentence..unless you are a real troublemaker.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Should've been executed.

At least then I wouldn't have to hear about this knob anymore.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

its STANDARD practice for someone to serve half their sentence in the uk unless your term is over 5 years, you dont even have to behave in their you could act a twat the whole time and still only serve half inside the other half will be under probation but of course the judge knows this and is taken into consideration when he gives you the sentence so if he wants you to serve 12 months inside he will give you 2 years

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Good news. Glad he's out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join