It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Object From Interstellar Space Coming Our Way

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

I was coming here to post the exact same thing MBSC

A year or so back i was discussing with someone on another forum about Oumuamua.
We both said it reminded us of Rama and we both left the conversation on those exact words...

The Ramans do everything in threes.

The first Rama craft was sent to get the Humans attention. Oumuamua certainly did that.
The second Rama craft was sent later to lure some Humans to investigate. Seems we might do that here too, albeit with probes.

Couldn't make it up...and maybe Arthur C Clarke didn't..??..!!..

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: Assassin82

you'll find that there's nothing mysterious if you have a trajectory and velocity you can determine an origin...funny Webster used God as a definition...

mysterious is for sensationalists looking to turn science into the new ufology...and get more views on YouTube whilst promoting their merch and patreon ...

isn't something a mystery, or considered mysterious until it is figured out or solved?
whats the big deal using the word mysterious here? relax pal. there are a lot of mysteries out there, until science can understand it better. you seem to not keep an open mind about things, and deal in absolutes. kinda sad..

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: purplemer

I wonder what this second interstellar object might be

Likely a comet.

It even says it's a Comet...well, for now anyway.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Yeah, these things take a lot of lube time. Quality sciency headline coming up:

NASA wants to probe deep into Uranus in search of smelly gas

Simon told New Scientist last year that the space agency hoped to launch a probe to either Uranus or Neptune in the 2030s

edit on 12-9-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I want science to ban words like 'mysterious' and 'phenomena'

What an odd thing to say, all scientist use those words and if there were no mysteries to solve most would likely quit.

phenomena a: an object or aspect known through the senses rather than by thought or intuition

b: a temporal or spatiotemporal object of sensory experience as distinguished from a noumenon

c: a fact or event of scientific interest susceptible to scientific description and explanation 3a: a rare or significant fact or event

T Albert Einstein > Quotes > Quotable Quote Albert Einstein “The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.
It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom the emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand wrapped in awe, is as good as dead —his eyes are closed.
The insight into the mystery of life, coupled though it be with fear, has also given rise to religion.

To know what is impenetrable to us really exists, manifesting itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, which our dull faculties can comprehend only in their most primitive forms—this knowledge, this feeling is at the center of true religiousness.”xt

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex
Rendezvous with Rama

The Ramans do everything in threes.

On 19th October 2017 an incoming interstellar object was discovered by Pan-STARRS, a system similar to Spaceguard. Like Rama, the object had an unusually elongated shape. Before the official Hawaiian name 'Oumuamua was selected by the International Astronomical Union, a popular choice was Rama.

ʻOumuamua

Before the official name was decided upon, the name Rama was suggested, the name given to an alien spacecraft discovered under similar circumstances in the 1973 science fiction novel Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

ʻOumuamua was compared to the fictional alien spacecraft Rama because of its interstellar origin. Adding to the coincidence, both the real and the fictional objects are unusually elongated.

One of my favorite book that I read as a kid.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Any chance we could launch a probe check it out?

Generally it takes years or even a decade to build and plan such a mission, but with the progress of SpaceX, I know it can be done if the funding can be secured.

Or something already scheduled could be re-routed, perhaps? At least they're seeing this one on its way into the solar system, not accelerating out.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
This is going to be fun tracking this object ( as long as it doesn't hit us)

Remember back in the old days when we had so much fun talking about science?
I hope we learn a lot from this one.

At least we got an early warning this time,
It would be so cool to launch an intercept and attach sensors on it, so we could all monitor and enjoy its journey

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Just as its not one of these coming ……..

i.imgur.com/l1ySnIo.jpg

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: firerescue

Just as its not one of these coming ……..

i.imgur.com/l1ySnIo.jpg

I’m not able to open the link you provided.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

It is entering the solar system with the closest fly-by of Mars in the first week of December. At fusion rocket speeds it could take 3 months to get to Mars (assuming that Earth is in the right orbit)... that being said, I would say that there is not enough time to plan and launch something from Earth.

But every instrument that we have available will be studying it!

This should be interesting over the next few months.

BTW, it is traveling so fast that the sun’s gravity will have no effect on it.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

*Zubrin

I've watched every documentary that man has been in. He's a hero of mine.

Please, get his name right. I love you for using him, though.

There are probably interstellar objects darting through our solar system near constantly. Our universe doesn't work in terms of 0, 1, and 2.

If there's a second one... There are zounds, zounds I say.

There's either nothing of something, one of something, or near infinite somethings.

if there's a second interstellar object, I bet we start finding these things all the time in the near future.
edit on 12-9-2019 by Archivalist because: wah

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be great if we had a rocket primed and ready to go that can meet up with this object and throw a satellite/rover on it to study it further? Imagine how much data it could collect with minimal resources needed to keep it running. Just launch it, tag it, and track it. I authorize anyone from NASA or ESA to use my idea.

Don't think we have rockets that have the amount of Delta V required to even catch up with one before it exits the solar system.

You could use Probes already picking up speed from a bunch of gravity assists , but that still takes years to get to enough planets and gravity assists to match the escape velocity of the object.

And if you want to return samples n stuff you need to decrease your speed so that you stay in solar orbit , otherwise you just fly into deep space with the object.

Don't think we have tech that allows us to burn retro grade from escape velocity to solar orbit , and then start grav assisting back to earth.

All that gotta be planned in advance , i get a headache just from thinking about that.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
You know what i find awesome? This comet was spotted by an amateur astronomer, an engineer, with a telescope he built himself.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I want science to ban words like 'mysterious' and 'phenomena'

"Phenomena", and the singular, phenomenon, are perfectly appropriate words. "Mysterious", not so much. But scientists don't use it a whole lot. "Journalists" do.

Journalists also have a strong liking for the words, "Scientists Baffled!" And such like.

Cool that another interstellar thing might be showing up. Now that we're getting a better idea what to look for it might happen more often.

You know what would be cool? If this thing were on the same orbit as Oumuamua.
edit on 9/13/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

In the movie “Starship Troopers”, the bugs use asteroids as weapons.

You don’t think....

Hhhmmmmmm 🙄🤔

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

That was a really crappy movie.

R.A. would have been rolling over in his grave. The asteroid thing wasn't in that book, it actually came from another of his stories, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
edit on 9/13/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
You know what i find awesome? This comet was spotted by an amateur astronomer, an engineer, with a telescope he built himself.

That is a cool part to the story. Good catch!

I always wanted a telescope growing up. As a kid I tried to get enough tickets at the arcade to win one from there. Good thing I didn’t, it probably would have made me hate it with its cheap design.

Never too late I suppose. 38 now, would make for a great hobby. Knowing my luck is fine a comet with a bunch of aliens mooning me. Little green jerks!

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

That was a really crappy movie.

R.A. would have been rolling over in his grave. The asteroid thing wasn't in that book, it actually came from another of his stories, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

There were a couple good things from it.

1. The shower scene with the red head (I was a kid when it came out...cut me some slack)

2. Some of it was filmed at Hell’s Half Acre in Wyoming and they used a bunch of locals as extras. With Wyoming being such a small population, everyone knew someone who was in the movie as an extra.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Ok.

2 good things about it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join