It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Object From Interstellar Space Coming Our Way

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I did a search and I didn't find this posted anywhere so forgive me if it's already been posted.

Source

A 2nd mysterious object from interstellar space may be about to fly through our solar system. Astronomers think they've detected an interstellar object approaching our solar system. Called "C/2019 Q4" (formerly "gb00234"), the object appears to be following a path originating from outside the solar system. It may pass near Mars in October. This would be only the second interstellar object ever observed in our solar system. The first such visitor, 'Oumuamua, took scientists by surprise in 2017. This time, they're getting ready to watch C/2019 Q4 with "everything" they can, one astronomer said. If C/2019 Q4 is indeed interstellar, scientists should be able to study the object until it grows too dim to see, in early 2021.

Great to see this one coming and giving us time to take a closer look at it. I'd imagine a great deal can be learned from this opportunity. However, I got to thinking....

Wouldn't it be great if we had a rocket primed and ready to go that can meet up with this object and throw a satellite/rover on it to study it further? Imagine how much data it could collect with minimal resources needed to keep it running. Just launch it, tag it, and track it. I authorize anyone from NASA or ESA to use my idea.

If anyone thinks I'm the first person to think of such a mission...Consider yourself fooled!

If C/2019 Q4 does turn out to be a second interstellar object, that would bode well for a mission Hainaut is proposing to send robotic probes into space to intercept future objects like this. "One of the main issues is: How many of these are there? If we detect one every century, it's hard to plan a mission to intercept one," he said. On the other hand, if these objects come every couple of years, astronomers might even be able to get choosy about which object to intercept. "This suggests we can afford to wait one or two or three years to get the right one, and maybe not the first one we spot after organizing a mission," Hainaut said.

Anyway...some pretty neat stuff! I hope they collect some quality data from this! I also hope we can get some good photo ops with it.

edit on 12-9-2019 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

If Oumuamua is an Hawaiian word meaning “a messenger from afar arriving first.” or scout from the distant past.

I wonder what this second interstellar object might be

edit on 12-9-2019 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Likely a comet.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Likely a comet.

Was Oumuamua a comet. I had some very strange properties. Comets have tails. This object did not. Its acceleration as an object does not match what we know about comets.

Now in a new study that is currently under peer review, Roman Rafikov, an astrophysicist at the University of Cambridge, argues that the same forces that appeared to have accelerated ’Oumuamua — the same forces that should have also produced a tail — would have also affected its spin. In particular, the acceleration would have torqued ’Oumuamua to such a degree that it would have spun apart, breaking up into smaller pieces. If ’Oumuamua were a comet, he argues, it would not have survived.

www.quantamagazine.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: purplemer

Likely a comet.

It's totally Doramammu!

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I want science to ban words like 'mysterious' and 'phenomena'

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Seems mysterious enough to me.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Assassin82

what's mysterious about it it? be very exact...

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Websters

mysterious adjective mys·​te·​ri·​ous | mi-ˈstir-ē-əs

Definition of mysterious:

1a: of, relating to, or constituting mystery the mysterious ways of God b: exciting wonder, curiosity, or surprise while baffling efforts to comprehend or identify : MYSTIFYING

Pretty much all that.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The last object to enter was very mysterious and that is the truth of it. There was no where in a few light year radius where it made sense for it to have come from. It had an unusual spin. Was an unusual size. Had a strange spin. Was a strange shape. Had the ability to accelerate and was shaped like a cigar. (400metres in length. ) The shot and trajectory it took was precision. It was also the first seen interstellar to enter our solar system. They still really dont know what it was

and now there is another one of them.

??

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

you'll find that there's nothing mysterious if you have a trajectory and velocity you can determine an origin...funny Webster used God as a definition...

mysterious is for sensationalists looking to turn science into the new ufology...and get more views on YouTube whilst promoting their merch and patreon ...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

by strange you mean it hasn't been observed in our otherwise predictable solar system... yea..

there's nothing we can't explain here. sorry.

no aliens

omuamua's path was 'strange' because it most likely went through a multitude of gravitational push and pull while interstellar traveling sent it careening freely
edit on 12-9-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

you'll find that there's nothing mysterious if you have a trajectory and velocity you can determine an origin...funny Webster used God as a definition...

mysterious is for sensationalists looking to turn science into the new ufology...and get more views on YouTube whilst promoting their merch and patreon ...

I wish ATS would ban words like "sensationalist" and "merch"

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I wish ATS would ban words like "sensationalist" and "merch"

ya...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I hope Baby Superman is in it, although we would still have to wait for him to grow up to save us.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Any chance we could launch a probe check it out?

Generally it takes years or even a decade to build and plan such a mission, but with the progress of SpaceX, I know it can be done if the funding can be secured.
edit on 12-9-2019 by jrod because: ?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
2x
edit on 12-9-2019 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Rendezvous with Rama

The Ramans do everything in threes.

On 19th October 2017 an incoming interstellar object was discovered by Pan-STARRS, a system similar to Spaceguard. Like Rama, the object had an unusually elongated shape. Before the official Hawaiian name 'Oumuamua was selected by the International Astronomical Union, a popular choice was Rama.

ʻOumuamua

Before the official name was decided upon, the name Rama was suggested, the name given to an alien spacecraft discovered under similar circumstances in the 1973 science fiction novel Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

ʻOumuamua was compared to the fictional alien spacecraft Rama because of its interstellar origin. Adding to the coincidence, both the real and the fictional objects are unusually elongated.

edit on 12-9-2019 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

It looks like they are trying to put the pieces together to be able to do that in the future. Doubtful they could do it for this one as it will be orbiting Mars in October. I don't think we could get anything to catch up to it in time. But maybe the next one! We can hope!

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Nice reference! First Science Fiction book I ever read. Great stuff!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join