It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Democracy Died in North Carolina

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

The override vote took place during the 8:30 session. What does the schedule say about that time period?

ETA: As for issues with NC politics, well there's the obvious examples. Like the fact that they just had to hold special elections due to voter fraud. Or the gerrymandering designed to minimize the voting power of certain demographics.
edit on 9/12/2019 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Sounds to me like democracy in practice... i.e., mob rule in action... and exactly why we have a Constitutional Republic. Well, a Constitutional Republic in theory anyway. Folks keep insisting on functioning as a democracy and then cry foul when their mob doesn't get their way.

Sounds like they ALL need to reconsider and reform their rules.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dasman888

The article loads for me.
Site is clearly slanted towards Democrats but not in pants on fire way, they aint fans of Biden either.

Back on topic, this unfortunately is part of politics around the world, one party pushing a bill through by whatever means.
Unsavoury but shows the win at any cost mindset of the party, there's probably examples of the otherside doing the same however.
Hard for bigger news networks to pick up on to, GOP supporting types will flat ignore it while Democrat leaning ones don't want to be seen as moaning about everything.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Good thing there are video and audio recordings of the whole proceeding.

That way no one can lie about what was agreed and what was ultimately done.

On any side of the aisle, a move like this sucks.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Obviously unrelated, but looking at VA, you guys have Gerrymandering issues as well as voter fraud issues. I would imagine I could look at any state and find similar, so not a topic specific to NC.

If they did the vote during the 8:30 session, I agree that is some dirty pool.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

The left doesn't report the news.

Thats the news agencies. And they run the gamut both left and right.

Pick your poison but dont pick one and then complain you dont like the poison they feed you.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
TYpical DNC garbage. I am happy with the results. I want the DNC utterly destroyed. And I am not kidding. The sooner the better.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Maybe the republicans expected a small handful to.vote for the whole party like the Democrats usually do? Have you ever seen any of the videos where only a few show up and hit the buttons on everyone's seat to vote for or against? I would think that should be illegal as they are voted in to represent certain districts. How can someone vote for a district they are not part of?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
TYpical DNC garbage. I am happy with the results. I want the DNC utterly destroyed. And I am not kidding. The sooner the better.

So, you want something like a single authoritarian ruler or group to lead you? Something like fascism perhaps?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer
Sometimes a username rings true!

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

If they did what's claimed it's wrong and I'm against it.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I love random sources that prove the point I want to make every time.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The override vote took place during the 8:30 session. What does the schedule say about that time period?

ETA: As for issues with NC politics, well there's the obvious examples. Like the fact that they just had to hold special elections due to voter fraud. Or the gerrymandering designed to minimize the voting power of certain demographics.

I don't know if the NC legislators follow Robert's Rules of Order, but according to Roberts, an agenda must be published and distributed (so many) days in advance of the meeting. No new agenda items can be added once that's been done. So, if they do follow Robert's Rules, then there should be a paper tail of evidence.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12-9-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I need to update that location. I now live in the WV district where that state Senator got busted for soliciting prostitutes.

I understand your point. And yes, gerrymandering does exist across both parties. But how often do you see it get so bad that the courts have to step in?

And yes, voter fraud does occur in every election. But how often do you see it so bad that multiple elections need to be rerun?

Every state may have problems when it comes to their political process, but NC continues to be an example of how bad it can get.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I don't wish to apologize for any politician, right or left as both sides are bankrupt when it comes to following rules or laws. There seems to always be a loophole which both sides are guilty of taking advantage of. Since they write the rules and regulations, they should not be surprised when they are used against them.

In your opening, you point out that Republicans do not have the supermajority it takes to override the Governors veto, therefore, to borrow a phrase from a well known bastion of Democracy and pioneer of honor and integrity:

"What difference does it make" HRC

So Democracy has not failed just another false story and faux outrage.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
When you “outraged moral” leftists get back from your Bash The Fash rally where you’re trying to eliminate the Electoral College because “muh Hillary “ lost, please come back to lecture the rest of us on our Representative Republic.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

The same can be said about the impeachment investigation against Trump the Dems are attempting.

Nothing is going to come to come of it. So why are people throwing a fit?

If we get past the partisanship it ultimately comes down to one simple fact. We can't allow actions like these to become normalized. Yeah, maybe nothing actually does come from it this time. Or the next time. Or the time after that.

But eventually someone will use anti-democratic moves like these and something will come of it. What happens then if we keep brushing these instances off with, "What difference does it make?"

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The fact that our country is a Representative Republic makes this all the more egregious. We are a country of 327 million people. We are ultimately governed by several thousand.

The only reason our elected officials have any kind of power is because we put our trust in them.

What do you think happens to that trust when the government actively tries to disenfranchise ~50% of the population?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Try arguing for the 2nd amendment sometime and you just might garner a speck of sympathy from people.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: DBCowboy

The fact that our country is a Representative Republic makes this all the more egregious. We are a country of 327 million people. We are ultimately governed by several thousand.

The only reason our elected officials have any kind of power is because we put our trust in them.

What do you think happens to that trust when the government actively tries to disenfranchise ~50% of the population?

Oh wait, you’re actually making an argument for the elimination of the EC!

Lolz

And you are upset over republicans?

Lolz

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join