It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Democracy Died in North Carolina

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Why be the only "side" that plays fair?

The left has been cheating for decades and scream about the rule of law now?

Why ever bothering playing fair? We've just watched a complete disregard for the rule of law in DC for the past 3 years with a failed coup for gods sake!

We have leftists that want to subvert the Bill of Rights, and here you are, screaming about some republicans not playing fair?

OMFG

Why play fair? We're in the soft stages of a civil war and you still expect your opponents to play nice while you CHEER an ideology that wants to subvert the Constitution!

Don't you have some pearls to clutch and a place to swoon?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BrennanHuff22

Just because not every Dem was at a 9/11-related event does not change the fact that they were assured no votes would be held due to the date. It doesn't change the fact that the Republicans attempted to stifle the objections made by the Dems that were present.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrennanHuff22

originally posted by: dasman888

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: shooterbrody

As long as we allow this kind of hyperpartisanism to continue to grow on both sides we're going to see more and more instances like this.

Both instances are completely antithetical to our government. Why do I get the feeling the only one of them will be widely opposed on this site?

I am inclined to agree with you, conservative as I am... ASSUMING you, and this site I've never heard of before that won't page load, are giving an unbiased account of goings on. Which, it may well be. I check everything these days, right or left... so much BS out there anymore.

It looks like the Washington Post issued a correction to the story. Another FAKE NEWS story? The OP would never ever do such a thing to push an agenda? Looks like you can post any drivel now on this site as long as it pushes a certain narrative.

mobile.twitter.com...

WaPo "over generalized"?

So that's what they are calling lies now?

Over generalizations?

Good catch!

So just fake news that has been retracted but the original lie is now making the rounds in the MSM...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

It was a classic bait and switch. After assuring Democrats they would hold no votes Wednesday morning, while many legislators would be attending a 9/11 commemoration, North Carolina Republicans rammed an override of the governor’s budget veto through the state House.

“On a day when tragedy united our country, we should be standing together despite party,” North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, a Democrat, said in response. “Instead, Republicans used their most deceptive stunt yet.”

It might have been deceptive, but it was not out of character for the GOP majorities that rule North Carolina’s legislature. Republicans in the state have tried everything they can think of to hold onto power, no matter how elections turn out. “The legislature is sort of morally bankrupt in its lack of support for democratic government and the rule of law,” says Andrew Reynolds, a political scientist at the University of North Carolina.

Source

So just a day after Republicans won a couple of special elections in North Carolina (precipitated by the Republicans committing voter fraud in the previous election) they go and pull something villainous like this.

After assuring Dems no votes would be held on 9/11, Republicans went ahead and held a vote to override a veto while most legislators were at events commemorating the day.

Then, even after their duplicitous actions, they went a step further and tried to shut down those Dems that actually were present. They cut their mics, they tried to stop them from voting, and they tried to have them arrested.

To make matters worse, this desecration of the Democratic process is completely symbolic. The Republicans do not have a supermajority in the Senate so the veto will not pass.

North Carolina has long had a reputation of being the place where Democracy goes to die in this country. This latest stunt certainly doesn't disprove that fact.

As long as we allow this kind of hyperpartisanism to continue to grow on both sides we're going to see more and more instances like this.

Sounds to me like they are just taking a page from the Democrats playbook. Obama Care on Christmas anyone?...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dasman888

Both instances are completely antithetical to our government. Why do I get the feeling the only one of them will be widely opposed on this site?

I am inclined to agree with you, conservative as I am... ASSUMING you, and this site I've never heard of before that won't page load, are giving an unbiased account of goings on. Which, it may well be. I check everything these days, right or left... so much BS out there anymore.

It looks like the Washington Post issued a correction to the story. Another FAKE NEWS story? The OP would never ever do such a thing to push an agenda? Looks like you can post any drivel now on this site as long as it pushes a certain narrative.

mobile.twitter.com...

Here’s internal emails showing on 9/10, that there would be votes held on 9/11. This was sent to all House Dems from......the lead Democrat.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The Republicans in North Carolina have a long history of taking a dump on Democracy in order to retain power. Much longer than the time Trump has been in power.

As I have said twice in this thread now, hyperpartisanism on both sides is going to destroy this country. And if you're defending your side doing it because of the actions of the other side then you're part of the problem.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Hay pal. This ain't notin. Its typical Southern behavior and Hospitality. As a Yankee transplant I am an expert on this subject and the natives agree with me. Ever live in the Deep South as in Georgia or South Carolina? Here's some clues:

1. Pay your property taxes in person so they don't lose the check and you get fined for late payment. They pull that stunt all over the place.

2. Keep a close eye on all utility companies and municipal water and sewer departments.

Especially if you change your address or email or phone. You are not in control of your account information. They are. So when I phoned in a change of email address in Georgia to the Town Water Department they NEVER updated their computers. So three months later they put a pad lock on my water valve and shut the water off demanding $275 + $50 late fee. NO WARNING. NO MAIL, NO PHONE CALL. Since we react to an email bill we simply forgot about it. I have NEVER missed a bill in my life until this. I got the $275 waived as I threatened to call the FBI as their billing service is interstate. They do this to Screw the poor people and well off too.

3. Supermarkets NEVER update their prices on sale items. Watch closely at checkout.

4. Most businesses will tell you "whatever it takes" instead of providing a written quotation. Run for the hills from these guys.

5. Building Codes as in Plumbing, Electrical and other. Better hope they have a literate Code Inspector or that you know something.

6. Warranty or do they warrant their work. OK. So whats a warranty with many of them.

7. Even if they provide a written warranty good luck in getting reimbursed. As stated by my Attorney neighbor and others.

8. NEVER tell them your a Northerner. You will get the special discount.

9. Hell and I live in the 1st Tier suburbs!

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Also doesn't change the fact that WaPo wrote a BS article, had to write a retraction yet the rest of the Enemedia will continue to report on and discuss the original article with no mention of the retraction.

You know... just the way the left "reports " the news...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Wait when someone wanted to make your thread about abortions you told them to start another thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Snip

As I have said twice in this thread now, hyperpartisanism on both sides is going to destroy this country. And if you're defending your side doing it because of the actions of the other side then you're part of the problem.

If you really believed that this thread would have been framed much differently. Instead you framed this thread as "those Republican male chicken suckers are backstabbers!"...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The Republicans in North Carolina have a long history of taking a dump on Democracy in order to retain power. Much longer than the time Trump has been in power.

Push-lease! Your sham morality just leaked out of my computer and stained the carpet.

You’re actually going to try and take the high moral road?

Really?

If this were Democrats doing it, you’d be cheering them on!

So spare me your moral outrage.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

The OP hasn’t addressed the correction or the proof that the house Dems did know about the vote. But that’s expected from the left these days which is why nobody takes them seriously.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

At least they didn't cover for terrorists and try to tell us the planes flew into the buildings themselves.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Push-lease! Your sham morality just leaked out of my computer and stained the carpet.

You’re actually going to try and take the high moral road?

Really?

If this were Democrats doing it, you’d be cheering them on!

So spare me your moral outrage.

Lol!!!

Per below article it was the Dems who pulled a stunt like this last.

www.wral.com... e

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You know... just the way the left "reports " the news...

Yup, its just SOP and it isnt honest mistakes.

They know exactly what they are doing. They know that folks will gobble it up, especially after so long of doing this. The first story will make a bigger impact thatn the retraction/correction.. If the retraction/correction is seen at all.

Hard to take any of this crap as true, at this point.

Xcal, you realize that you are frequently hyperpartisan yourself, right? I do agree with your statement about it, but its just as important to have self awareness on the topic.

link   

That says that there would not be a vote until 1 PM. The veto was passed during that 8:30 AM session. Here is an article posted at 9:20 AM yesterday to prove that claim.

NC House overrides budget veto in surprise vote with almost half of lawmakers absent

link   

And of course there will be crickets from the left because this was never about rule of law or proper behavior it was about one side getting over on another.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Maybe this thread deserves to be in the LOL forum until the corrections are updated.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Here’s internal emails showing on 9/10, that there would be votes held on 9/11. This was sent to all House Dems from......the lead Democrat.

mobile.twitter.com...

This right here should end the discussion, the agenda is right there in black and white. 1:00 PM voting session with 9/11 recognition. So the Washington Post lied, color me shocked in every way. As far as democracy dying here in NC, I would love some examples.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

A simple search would have revealed several sources for this story.

www.nbcnews.com...
htwww.usatoday.com...
www.cbsnews.com...

There's a whole page of this.

edit on 9122019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join