It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Democracy Died in North Carolina

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

It was a classic bait and switch. After assuring Democrats they would hold no votes Wednesday morning, while many legislators would be attending a 9/11 commemoration, North Carolina Republicans rammed an override of the governor’s budget veto through the state House.

“On a day when tragedy united our country, we should be standing together despite party,” North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper, a Democrat, said in response. “Instead, Republicans used their most deceptive stunt yet.”

It might have been deceptive, but it was not out of character for the GOP majorities that rule North Carolina’s legislature. Republicans in the state have tried everything they can think of to hold onto power, no matter how elections turn out. “The legislature is sort of morally bankrupt in its lack of support for democratic government and the rule of law,” says Andrew Reynolds, a political scientist at the University of North Carolina.

Source

So just a day after Republicans won a couple of special elections in North Carolina (precipitated by the Republicans committing voter fraud in the previous election) they go and pull something villainous like this.

After assuring Dems no votes would be held on 9/11, Republicans went ahead and held a vote to override a veto while most legislators were at events commemorating the day.

Then, even after their duplicitous actions, they went a step further and tried to shut down those Dems that actually were present. They cut their mics, they tried to stop them from voting, and they tried to have them arrested.

To make matters worse, this desecration of the Democratic process is completely symbolic. The Republicans do not have a supermajority in the Senate so the veto will not pass.

North Carolina has long had a reputation of being the place where Democracy goes to die in this country. This latest stunt certainly doesn't disprove that fact.

As long as we allow this kind of hyperpartisanism to continue to grow on both sides we're going to see more and more instances like this.

+37 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
so this is different than nadler changing the house rules and starting an impeachment inquiry without a house floor vote?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   
All and that on 9/11... shaking my head.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I definitely posted this in the Mud Pit. I don't know how it ended up in Conspiracy Theorists.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I definitely posted this in the Mud Pit. I don't know how it ended up in Conspiracy Theorists.

it appears it was a conspiracy to get some out of the way to hold a vote

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

As long as we allow this kind of hyperpartisanism to continue to grow on both sides we're going to see more and more instances like this.

Both instances are completely antithetical to our government. Why do I get the feeling the only one of them will be widely opposed on this site?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
lying about taking a vote is dastardly
doubt you will find anyone who thinks otherwise

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Sounds like the Republicans are taking a page out the Democrats political strategy. Maybe we should just all ignore it like the liberals do when the Democrats play unethically.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad
blame it in a video tape

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
In my opinion, Congress members get enough days off. I worked on the 11th... That said, to agree not to hold a vote and then go ahead anyway is just backstabbing BS.

Politics as usual though, I suppose. Every one of the bastards are crooked on both sides. I could list examples of both but would be called out for "whataboutism".

It's truly frustrating to see our government steep to such lows all the damn time. The real question is how do we fix it?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Couldn't the NC Republican's just lock the Democrats out and pass whatever they wanted in perpetuity? Like whats just stopping them from hiring security to bar any Democrat entry?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm not defending the republicans here but why the hell are there no rules in place about voting and attendance?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Both instances are completely antithetical to our government. Why do I get the feeling the only one of them will be widely opposed on this site?

I am inclined to agree with you, conservative as I am... ASSUMING you, and this site I've never heard of before that won't page load, are giving an unbiased account of goings on. Which, it may well be. I check everything these days, right or left... so much BS out there anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Methinks they just pulled your questionable link.....
prospect.org ?
You scraping the bottom of the pickle barrel now.
Nothing left but that green goo....

edit on 9/12/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

There are. 61 of 120 reps need to be in attendance.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

It's loading for me.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

The link is not dead. It just takes a minute or two to load.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

There are. 61 of 120 reps need to be in attendance.

Let me rephrase the question then.
Why the hell don't they have better rules?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dasman888

I am inclined to agree with you, conservative as I am... ASSUMING you, and this site I've never heard of before that won't page load, are giving an unbiased account of goings on. Which, it may well be. I check everything these days, right or left... so much BS out there anymore.

It looks like the Washington Post issued a correction to the story. Another FAKE NEWS story? The OP would never ever do such a thing to push an agenda? Looks like you can post any drivel now on this site as long as it pushes a certain narrative.

mobile.twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It's loading for me.

Looks like we need to give them a gazillion more hits to where they can afford a decent server and broadband bandwidth.
With some fiber HBAs and switches thrown in.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join