It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new and improved progressive 10 Commandments

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
a reply to: Raggedyman

But if everybody was Stalin, we wouldn't even mind the Hitlers...

I'm sorry, but I just don't believe or buy this nonsense that all atheists are terrible people.
That's just silly

Don’t think I suggested for a second all atheists are terrible, I listed only 3
But you said all religions are terrible and I wanted to point That out

Stop and apply a little thought, just a little

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

a reply to: Raggedyman

I mean, I could easily say the same...

Yeah, right, the last thing the world needs is more Jerry Falwells or Joel Osteens
yuck

Yes I agree, there are many despicable religious people, but we both know all atheists are just bloody wonderfull, yeah

Can you not see what you are saying, are you that blind

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids
a reply to: The2Billies

Sweetheart you could have put this synopsis up first.

The point is not griping or the way it used to be. The point is to make people think. As a retired professor, making people think and not just swallow what they are told is a good thing. I LOVE to force people to think and think deeply, which is a terribly old fashioned idea in academia these days. Yes, I'm a little old and old fashioned, I want people to think and to debate and then to make up their own minds. So yesterday and old fashioned, I admit.

But that's okay I'm up to speed now.

Actually to have put that up first might have defeated the point.

It was good to have such deep reactions from both sides, with both sides upset and complaining. That starts a real in depth conversation. It actually brings people to a common ground. Even though both sides were butt hurt over opposite things.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Well it certainly humbled me right quick and that's always
a good thing.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Couple of things
The Ten Commandments were handed to Moses, it’s not for Christians, so what is this about?
Christians are called to love people, don’t think anyone else is commanded to live by the 10 commandments except Jews.
Non Christians have a feeewill, a gift from God, to choose their own course for their lives, not your judgement

Sadly you don’t understand Christianity

Sigh, I suppose as the child of a Christian pastor and the spouse of a Christian pastor, I don't by your standards. Sorry.

I thought the 10 Commandments were a part of the Bible, the entire Bible, one I have always been taught was important and instructive for Christians to live by.

I respect Jews and our Jewish heritage. To me one can not deny that Jesus was Jewish and taught Jewish principles and read from and quoted from the Torah. The Torah is what I consider to be fundamental to Christianity. I'm sorry you appear to disagree, but that is ok.

Guess we have two entirely differing points of view on what it is to be a Christian. That's ok.

Sorry sweety it’s not ok
You are a judaiser, Paul warned about people like you, forcing Jewish law on Christians
Paul the apostle was adamant your kind was the worst, even Jesus fought the Pharisees who were more interested in laws than love

I am not a Jew, I am a Christian
I am not under the Mosaic covenant, I am under Christ’s covenant

Only one thing worse than an ignorant atheist, an ignorant Christian

Your father should not have been in ministry, unless he was Seventh Day Adventist, they are a separate group

Galatians 5/14

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What we guard against these days is the same old trick that was seen first.....you can become God's by enlightenment....did God really say.......!

Pretty sad evil couldnt come up with a new look.......Luciferianism rising since about 1968 zucks to be in darkness

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

True.
Change is always happening and change always hurts.
One day we will arrive at a new world where PC culture has worked out all of the nonsense.
Where people will be born into a world that will hopefully be more universally equal.

I think I found more common ground:

Galatians 3:28-29 The Message (MSG)
In Christ’s Family (ignore in Christ's family if you want to):

28-29 In Christ’s family
there can be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male and female. Among us you are all equal.
That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ. (ignore if you wish this last sentence)

This also includes all races, because at that time there was no distinction between races, but between culture, religion and country.

Christianity does NOT preclude equality.

Here is another thing I think we can agree on

Romans 12:18-19 The Message (MSG)

17-19 Don’t hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody. Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it.”

Yes, these are in the Bible and at one time were basic US values which is why the US was the only country ever to fight and die to end slavery and the first to embrace gender equality and racial equality.

The Bible supports universal equality and universal respect for all people.

There are so many cultural misinterpretations and misunderstandings of what the Bible is really about. Judging others is NOT one of them, oppressing women is NOT one of them. It is not an evil foundation, but like all ideologies, people twist it for nefarious motives.

edit on 9/12/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

The point is not griping or the way it used to be. The point is to make people think. As a retired professor, making people think and not just swallow what they are told is a good thing. I LOVE to force people to think and think deeply, which is a terribly old fashioned idea in academia these days. Yes, I'm a little old and old fashioned, I want people to think and to debate and then to make up their own minds. So yesterday and old fashioned, I admit.

It was good to have such deep reactions from both sides, with both sides upset and complaining. That starts a real in depth conversation. It actually brings people to a common ground. Even though both sides were butt hurt over opposite things.

And your purpose was to condemn those that don’t follow Jewish law, wise?
That’s not love, that’s arrogance

You should read the sermon on the mount and the fruit of the Spirit

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

No it was not the purpose.

But I can see you are so hurt over some of the things I have said that it is difficult for you to carry on a conversation without insults. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so badly.

Take care my friend.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

True.
One day we will arrive at a new world where PC culture has worked out all of the nonsense.
Where people will be born into a world that will hopefully be more universally equal.

28-29 In Christ’s family
there can be no division into Jew and non-Jew, slave and free, male and female. Among us you are all equal.
That is, we are all in a common relationship with Jesus Christ. (ignore if you wish this last sentence)

This also includes all races, because at that time there was no distinction between races, but between culture, religion and country.

17-19 Don’t hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you’ve got it in you, get along with everybody. Don’t insist on getting even; that’s not for you to do. “I’ll do the judging,” says God. “I’ll take care of it.”

Yes, these are in the Bible and at one time were basic US values which is why the US was the only country ever to fight and die to end slavery and the first to embrace gender equality and racial equality.

There are so many cultural misinterpretations and misunderstandings of what the Bible is really about. Judging others is NOT one of them, oppressing women is NOT one of them. It is not an evil foundation, but like all ideologies, people twist it for nefarious motives.

Didn’t the “Christian” south fight and die to maintain slavery
Twisted?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: [post=24616686]The2Billies

Darlin, if you don't like religion of any kind why on earth would you deign to even write in a thread in the Religion forum? To me that doesn't make sense.

Because that's where you put it. The few times I ever venture into this haunted house is to wag my finger at people and tell them they're not 5 years old anymore and it is perfectly acceptable to not believe in fairy tales anymore. (Or fairy "tails" if you are sexually "progressive".) I'm just an a**hole like that.

And just because you struck a few nerves, that doesn't mean you hit the nail on the head. You could have, but it's not a given.

Some people just have a problem with social issues being discussed within the framework of religion. You know, that whole "separation of church and state" thing that annoys people. In other words, it's not what you said, but it's the way you said it. (Since you're a female I thought you could relate to that)

The mods are open to out-of-the box and cut-to-the-bone topics, and we all appreciate that, but you have to consider your audience as well. Yes, you have an opinion or concern to discuss, but who do you want to discuss it with? If I were the one who authored that O.P., I would have put it in the Social Issues sub-forum and kept religion out of it. You might have gotten more constructive feed back than people like me bitching about the technicalities of what was written.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

But I can see you are so hurt over some of the things I have said that it is difficult for you to carry on a conversation without insults. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so badly.

Take care my friend.

No you didn’t hurt my feelings, you preach Judaism at christians
Go read your bible, Mosaic covenant to Jews handed to Moses by God for Jews
Christian covenant to Christians by Jesus at the cross

You don’t understand Christianity, you are kidding yourself

Do you keep all Jewish laws, why not, you pick and choose what you want, did your dad tell you that

Sorry to hurt your feelings and destroy your religion

Two Corinthians 3/ 6
New Living Translation
He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.

New International Version
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant--not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

For the law condemns but The Spirit gives life, said in the bible

You are using the law to condemn, not love
edit on 12-9-2019 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

True.

28-29 In Christ’s family

Didn’t the “Christian” south fight and die to maintain slavery
Twisted?

Yes, but the Christian North fought and died to maintain slavery. These were the ONLY people in the world to ever fight and die to end slavery. These Christians, and have no doubt they were Christians put their lives on the line to end slavery.
www.history.com...
www.christianitytoday.com...
creation.com...

Do you have a problem with that?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: IrateCanadian
Why should I be tolerant of something that should be treated. After all, the factual statistics pertaining to LGBTQ just makes them look like terrible people to begin with. Because they simply have a problem. I know a few "gay men" in my city and they jump from partner to partner to partner to partner. Know why? Because they don't value a relationship; they have a problem; and that problem is some form of sexual addiction to fill some sort of empty void created by a psychological issue.

Be careful around those men. You might catch "the gay."

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Take care my friend.

Do you keep all Jewish laws, why not, you pick and choose what you want, did your dad tell you that

You haven't destroyed "my religion". You simply don't appear to understand it, but rather are putting your own spin on what it is about from the perspective of someone who appears to have never read the Bible cover to cover, or you wouldn't have asked the questions you did. It appears as if you hate/loathe/despise that which you have not bothered to explore for yourself so you can think for yourself.

Why don't you try reading the Bible in it's entirety - all of it? Or - take a leap and read the words of Jesus alone to start with. Not with the intention of ever believing what you read, but just so you can argue and debate from an informed point of view.

You can do it free online, but that is probably a stretch too far. Forget I mentioned it.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Rubbish, fanciful rubbish, absolutely ridiculous
www.reuters.com...

You are embarrassing, your ignorance is incredible, the only people to fight slaver, tosh
Absolute rubbish, you have no concept of history

Britain and Spain were at war with slave traders long before the US ended slavery
Where do you get this fanciful stuff, amazing
William Wilberforce was English, trying to portray him as a n American
edit on 12-9-2019 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Would it be possible to define "progressive liberals" and "classical liberals"? Also, could you provide some names of these liberals? You provided your own creative interpretation, but I haven't actually seen these "rules," let alone any demands that we all live by them.
edit on 12-9-2019 by Gandalf77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Take care my friend.

You haven't destroyed "my religion". You simply don't appear to understand it, but rather are putting your own spin on what it is about from the perspective of someone who appears to have never read the Bible cover to cover, or you wouldn't have asked the questions you did. It appears as if you hate/loathe/despise that which you have not bothered to explore for yourself so you can think for yourself.

Why don't you try reading the Bible in it's entirety - all of it? Or - take a leap and read the words of Jesus alone to start with. Not with the intention of ever believing what you read, but just so you can argue and debate from an informed point of view.

You can do it free online, but that is probably a stretch too far. Forget I mentioned it.

I am sorry for you
You condemn people with the Judaic law and then deny it
Jesus fought people like you, He was killed by people like you
I am sorry, I was once like you

Seriously, go read the Sermon on the mount then the Fruit of The Spirit, younare not living it

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Man I love threads that wreak of undeserved superiority complexes.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

I guarantee you there are kids watching that stuff on Netflix on a nightly basis.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join