It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Big Brother Own You via Your Car or Truck? My 911 Experience with GM Infotainment Software Upd

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Yesterday, I was on my way to pick up a bag of snake repellent as it’s that time of year again. So I get into the Pickup Truck and start it up. Since I have a rear camera I always look at the 8" diagonal Touch Screen located in the dash to double check what’s behind me but that's not what happened yesterday morning.

So I start the truck in my garage and the touch screen goes blank and I get a message that allows me to make a decision to ALLOW a software update or to CANCEL it. So WTF I pushed allow as I know the electronic outside air temperature reader is "off". OK, so I start driving as this thing starts its download. So I get to ACE hardware about 10 minutes later and go into the store and the touch screen shows that the software update is continuing. So I leave the store in another 10 minutes and get into the truck. I look at the screen which shows I am at 41% download so I turn the key to start the truck. Guess what. Everything is dead as in nothing turns on. I mean nothing. No dash information, no lights, no sound, no anything including, no emergency lights. The only exception is that touch screen showing that I am at 41% download. Since it was 94 degrees outside I have a choice and its not to stay in the truck. So I head to the lumber yard barn to shoot the breeze with a couple of employees and tell them what’s going on. Being normal Deep South bubba boys they sheet their Blue Denim Bib Overalls when I told them what’s going on. I did too. So I spent another 10 minutes with them and went back to the truck. I am now around 75% so I try to start the truck again. Nah, not going to happen and now I am pissed. So I start texting my wife and I took a picture of the touch screen and sent it to her. I also am now wondering whether this is a General Motors software update or am I being hacked. So I do remember that although I allowed my cell phone to charge on the USB port I NEVER ALLOWED MY PHONE TO SYNC OR CONNECT WITH THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM so as to protect hacking or whatever.

Here's the GM link:

Chevrolet Infotainment Systems

Another 10 minutes passes and the software download is now accelerating its download. Success! I am now at 98% so I get into the truck and watch the display. I also don't touch anything because of prior experiences with those Mister Softee downloads. So now the touch screen goes dead. Sheet. Am I now screwed as almost a minute passes and the screen is dead and so is the vehicle. I start to look in my wallet for my Triple A card but Walla, the screen comes back and is now installing. That takes another minute or so and I just stay still. Finally it’s loaded and it says complete. I start the truck and get the AC on. Everything is working except the touch screen radio. Fook! So I now head towards the nearest GM dealer but after turning the truck off at another store the radio came back on.

So let’s think about this. I am now beginning to think like the guys in the tin foil hats. "They", can shut the entire vehicle off at any time anywhere such that the emergency lights will not function. Your vehicle is dead in the water for well over 1/2 hour. Being a "Yankee" living in the deep south what if I was late to a "Sons of the Confederacy" meeting, KKK meeting, church, brothel, liquor store or whatever.

What if the boys from the local, state or FBI were after me for writing something on this site. Yikes, just like the music on the TV show the COPS. Here's the theme song:

COPS

Me for one is spooked about the above. Fine they can monitor our conversations via our TV sets and Cell phones but our cars! We can’t escape. They own us. So as a former Boy Scout my pledge to myself and my family is as follows:

I will behave and become a sheeple.
I will NOT connect nor link my phone nor any other device to the Samsung WIFI refrigerator.
I will consider removing the speakers from my Android phone.
I will consider buying a soundproof box or container so I can toss the cell phone into. I mean all Big Brother needs to do is record me during an NFL football game. They would claim that I am insane, as the guy talks to God and Jesus, they would invoke a Red Flag Gun Law and come and take my guns. Think about it.
I will NEVER install an electronic touch screen pad on my entry doors.
I will NEVER activate the WIFI option on my Garage Door.
I WILL buy an EMP proof pre computerized vehicle as a means of safety

Wow for me this is a Holy Sheet Batman Moment.

Possibly my ex-wife who works for the USPS wasn't crazy as she related to me over 20 years ago that another USPS employee referred to as the "undertaker" told her that he buried his guns inside a coffin somewhere in the back yard. I really thought she was off along with him but now looking back maybe they were just "progressives"

UPDATE:

I called GM at 877-558-8352 to ask whether it was their software update. YES it was and it takes between 1 to 2 hours to download and install, and yes the ENTIRE vehicle will SHUT DOWN during that process per GM. BUT, since I already had the truck on and and then touched the screen to allow the software update with engine running it did allow me to drive to my 1st destination. Potential ISSUE? Its on them. Still LOVE the truck!!!

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: complete spell check

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: reloaded links

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: revised title

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: typo and added

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: added update

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The question is: "WHY did you update a sensitive electronic equipment in your car while driving?"

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass
Did you just post this in the same ATS were we tin foil hat wearing ATSers warned of this, and worse, just a few years ago?

The same ATS where we were raked over the coals, ridiculed, and constantly told to"stop drinking the Kool-Aid"?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I didn't. It was parked in my garage and the truck was started and the message appears on the screen. So why did they allow me to drive the truck to the 1st destination. I am an Engineer and never read instructions until AFTER something goes wrong. I had no idea what I was going to encounter as I thought it would be a simple, brief in the background software update. I will contact GM.

I did work for GM internationally in corporate World Wide Purchasing and did accept an Black Ops tour in Asia Pacific that began at GM Shanghai Vehicle Assembly Operations. I hope they aren't upset with me.

Fair?

edit on 12-9-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well I didn't rake you over the coals but I will go back and read all that you wrote. Thanks for posting as I can learn much from you.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OnStar, which has been in GM vehicles since 1989, has been used to track and disable your vehicle for a long time. The vast majority of semi trucks can have a whole host of things done to them by satellite connection including changing maximum speed and full disablement. That smartphone in your pocket that you don’t want to sync was built to have loads of remote control functions. And just depending on equipment, can do loads of things with your car like remote start, stop, temperature control, etc.

Might I suggest a 68 Nova SS to disconnect?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The update should tell you to make sure you don't "Update System" while driving. The Uconnect in my Ram had an update yesterday as well and specifically informed me not to drive while updating. In fact, I had to turn the key off to update it. You're extremely lucky you weren't stranded on the side of the road for updating it while driving.

But that's not the weird part. Why did Ram AND GMC both put out updates at the same time on the same day? Eh?

ETA: I'm also in the South and this happened to me around noon in NW Louisiana.
edit on 12-9-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

This has been becoming a bigger issue for the last several years.
John Deere does this with their tractors too.

I was wondering how the download was done by the trucks computer.
Satellite connection?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Thanks. No it didn't say anything. Possibly they have an issue as I did read everything as presented on the screen.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I will assume via satellite.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
OnStar, which has been in GM vehicles since 1989, has been used to track and disable your vehicle for a long time. The vast majority of semi trucks can have a whole host of things done to them by satellite connection including changing maximum speed and full disablement. That smartphone in your pocket that you don’t want to sync was built to have loads of remote control functions. And just depending on equipment, can do loads of things with your car like remote start, stop, temperature control, etc.

Might I suggest a 68 Nova SS to disconnect?

Indeed... We run a fleet of Chevrolet Equinoxes for our salesmen and using Telogis, I can see everything they do from too sharp of a turn to whether or not their seatbelt is buckled. It's insane how much information I can see. And, of course, I can see exactly when they started their car, parked it, sped, when their oil is due to be changed, and the list goes on and on. It's too creepy for my taste so I never use it to monitor them unless the CEO asks me to.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

This has been becoming a bigger issue for the last several years.
John Deere does this with their tractors too.

I was wondering how the download was done by the trucks computer.
Satellite connection?

Don't even get me started on John Deere, they want you to buy it but not really own it.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Exactly..
Pay the software fee or use it as a lawn decoration..

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

Thanks. No it didn't say anything. Possibly they have an issue as I did read everything as presented on the screen.

But the tin foil hat in me begs the question: WHY did our trucks, being two different brands, have infotainment updates on the same day? Does it make you wonder?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

I agree with everything you wrote. Especially Heavy Truck as I worked in that sector for three years before GM.

The vast majority of semi trucks can have a whole host of things done to them by satellite connection including changing maximum speed and full disablement.

Since Drivers in Heavy Truck are extremely independent and trucks had the above technology back in the late 1990's I wonder whether that Sector is having issues finding drivers because of the "big" brother" over-site. I remember I visited Schneider Transport World Wide Headquarters and they bragged that they could see every truck in their fleet and could tell when the Driver is taking a leak or getting yum yum with a babe or other.

Live the Nova SS

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Exactly..

Reminds me of the GPS navigation devices you can buy. Before it was built into most vehicles, you would have to pay over a hundred to update it or risk getting lost. When I was still a technician where I work, there were two big brands, Tom Tom and one other one. I had the one other one.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Yours also??? Mine was @ 89% UPDATE on September 11, 2019 @ 12:55PM EST. I have my picture with all the details.

911 related?

YEA it really makes me wonder

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Exactly..

They want to blame their slow sales on the trade war and on weather, but fail to see that they are out
of touch with the type of people that buy their products.

When our John Deere mower died it was a hard decision, but we choose not to buy another Deere product. I am against
companies that are destroying what ownership is. They are trying to do the same thing with certain cars. We'll see if it happens across the board.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

We had an OEM John Deere Lawn Tractor back in the 1960's. I personally replaced one short block and it kept on ticking. Dad traded it in for another John Deere in the late 1980's. The newer one still runs today. I bought a Craftsman Garden Tractor in 2004; GT5000 with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Still runs good to this day and only had a minor job done in 2009 for $300 as the Rods came lose.

All my neighbors own newer 2010+ John Deer lawn mowers. They are always in the shop.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I wouldn't even start Winword as long as I can see that Windows is updating itself, much less a 2ton iron block moving with lots of speed while being completely under the control of said updating device.

I wouldn't, but that is not imperative for everyone. Don't want to be the wise guy, but an engineer should reconsider using a machine which is not in full control of all of its subsystems, because the subroutines are updating.

The car should not let you have started it up, anyway. Or put into "D".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join