It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just another major city, descending into the dumpster.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

A great step forward would be an education system that took time to give students a real education and for college to stop offering courses that get you nowhere. Another great step would be personal independence.

If we can have a separation of church and state then we should mandate a separation of politics and education UNLESS it is a course on politics.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You forgot Honor thy father and thy mother.

That was a very important standard as well.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Fact of the matter is there's a lot of people that do not have any desire to work. They want whatever free stuff they can get to survive.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Woe is you...

That poverty comes from democrat policies. When democrats control the big cities, they depend on dependency for power. Those two brain cells you speak of, if you could try rubbing yours together, providing you have another to rub, you would see the common denominator.

On the bright side (no pun intended), with the sun dimming, so do the surface temperatures. But I bet you still keep up the retarded fight to save the climate.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

My question was directed to the ''source'' or motivation of those who point out truth. As you can see, intolerance covers the aspects of those conditions that foster that kind of behavior . Intolerance to the poverty, the hopelessness, the crime etc. I see describing people as ''devolving into animals'' as a derisive term of slang, as being that those people do not deserve our sympathy, our help etc. Traditionally to call someone an animal is derogatory relegating them for whatever reason to a level not worthy of being called human.

HOw would I describe people like you describe? Unfortunate.

You make the point of ''we are all animals''. Well yes, of course, but one of the over arching systems of belief for humans is that we are not just primates but'' human'' This is clearly evident in the anti-abortion thinking that the human is inviolate once the sperm hits the egg.

So to carry this farther, this notion of ''they are animals''. Would you say that that ''if'' they are animals, to abort all pregnancies in those ''animals'' would be a positive action for the rest of us '' humans'' to take? Would it be ok ''if they are animals'' to just round them up and put them in ''humane centers'' until they have been there long enough and then just put them to sleep when no one wants to adopt them as we do with lost dogs?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's generally bad form to admit you had a crush on the priest.

They should take the win.

How many of them could actually portray themselves as the victim....

ETA: The "Priest" was in fact a Priestest and she had the classical big ol knockers of the typical priestest straight out of a 80's B horror movie.

Totally off topic, but referring to 80's B rated horror movies, I watched a movie on Amazon Prime last night called "Trick or Treats" and a woman's ex-husband broke out of an insane asylum by gagging a nurse and putting her clothes and wig on. Hairy arms and manly face and all, he was able to make it past security and police. Corny as hell.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I guess not. Maybe you mistook beating heart for bleeding heart.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

How about forcing people on probation and who have committed minor crimes to clean streets and highways of garbage for 8 hours once a week, as our town does?

This to me is a reasonable course of action. Volunteer to stay in a public shelter? Work for that shelter. City governments could support those shelters by converting charity to payment for services rendered.

Church programs, certainly. However Billie, some of what you point out above of how things work in your ''town'' are not applicable to big cities like Seattle, that is unless those wealthy people share their wealth with those less fortunate than themselves. This is the key to church programs or charity. Helping others from our own bounty. This works when the level of poverty to be supported is the level that the Good Samaritan aided. Help up off the street, give him a couple of coins, maybe put him up for a night in a room. But find him again on the road two days later, just ride on by.

I live in a small town which is a hub in a fifty mile radius of much smaller hamlets and this ''town'' attracts a number of unfortunates because it is the economic hub of the county. It is also very Christian. Here churches do help with numerous food programs and shelters, just as you describe. There are road signs that forbid exchange of money or goods from vehicle to pedestrian in places it might cause danger to moving traffic. Fine.

But these solutions that work in my town and yours as you suggest seem to not work in major cities.

The way I see it is that the reason these cities have these kinds of problems is at least two fold. One is that being the economic hubs for their locality they attract those who have the ability to work in the fields that those cities offer.
And like it or not, the Christian ethic of help those who are in need is embedded in our culture. It was this Christian ethic in those major cities that did what they what they could to help when these cities were smaller. This was the true liberal Christian ethic to help the poor and needy. Here, the problem is that those cities got bigger, much bigger.

This has totally overwhelmed the support systems established for the smaller concentrations of people of the past.
As long as these big cities remain the economic hubs they have been traditionally they will continue to attract not only those who can find work in them but those who believe in ''trickle down'' economy as well. If I can't get a job in high tech, maybe I can get a job sweeping their floors or tending their coffee shops or begging their spare change.

The solution I see is to diversify the locations of work places. Move them out to other communities. My little town has a lumber mill, the major employer in the county. Even though the mill is here, they had to move their home offices to a much larger town an hour away because they could not get people with the education they needed to move here. Because those people who had gone to school and gotten that education, spent money and gone into debt to pay for that education do not want to move to a small town where entertainment and restaurants and other things of excitement are in short supply. This is also why our area has few ''young'' homeless people, they all move from the dullness to other more prosperous cities leaving the charities in our area being capable of caring for those who do not move away.

Our problem is the economic system we live within. This system naturally gravitates to centralization, centralization of production and centralization of wealth. Most of the money flows to the top and most of the production centralizes where there are the most people to ensure the scope of skills needed to continue the flow of product necessary for the profit the companies need. This is the cycle that needs to be broken, not just the cycle of poverty that exists in it's wake.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: rickymouse

You forgot Honor thy father and thy mother.

That was a very important standard as well.

Yeah, it is. It helps to keep kids from disregarding what the parents try to teach them in regards to morals. The school programming system modified that to respect the teacher and the social programming they are teaching and that parents beliefs are not as important as social engineering.
Although that is sometimes true, it is more often not. Our society is falling into array because social engineering is failing.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
We are a cutthroat society where most people will do what ever it takes to get ahead. Everyone is out for themselves. People in mass are coming unglued. If only we spent as much on making our country better instead of war we'd be a lot better off. Kids in Detroit don't even have heat in some of their schools. Yet other schools have tennis clubs. Some kids have to worry about where their next meal is going to come from. Instead of trying to find the root cause and fix what is wrong with the country we have a prison system built for profit. Corruption and greed have taken over in this country.

Even before the postal service went private, our small city had our run down post office with like 6 parking spots, the neighboring town had a huge brand new Post office for a town with about 1/3 the people but wealthier community. They have so much parking they will never need it all!

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
I’ll say it one more time so that maybe you’ll get the big picture...human beings are territorial...lactating...mammals...animals in fact and truth...humans are the top predator species on the planet...

Some claim that violence is inherent in people. Others argue that senseless crimes cannot be explained as an unavoidable part of human nature.​—See the box “Doomed to Violence?”
DOOMED TO VIOLENCE?

Some argue that the propensity for violence or killing has always been inborn in humans. Supporters of evolution maintain that we come from wild animals and have simply inherited their violent characteristics. Such theories would leave us doomed to an endless cycle of violence from which there is no hope of escape.

However, there is much evidence to the contrary. The theories mentioned above do not explain why in different cultures there are wide variations in frequency and types of violence. They do not indicate why in some cultures responding with violence seems to be the norm, whereas other societies report very little violence, with murder almost nil. Psychoanalyst Erich Fromm exposed cracks in the theory that we inherit aggression from primates by pointing out that although some of them are violent as a result of physical needs or for self-protection, humans are the only ones who have been known to kill for the sheer thrill of killing.

In their book The Will to Kill​—Making Sense of Senseless Murder, Professors James Alan Fox and Jack Levin state: “Some individuals are more prone to violence than others, yet free will still exists. The will to kill, though governed by numerous internal and external forces, still includes choice and human decision making, and thus accountability and culpability.”

Source: Why So Many Violent Crimes Now? Awake!—2003

The above counts just as much for assault & robbery (or whatever it's officially called). The evolutionary view also just doesn't make for a good excuse or justification. Not that that was the way you meant it. Just pointing it out.

We did not evolve from animals. We are not animals. We do have issues*, but these issues cannot be compared with or explained by pointing to the behaviour of animals (and predatorial instincts). Something else is going on. (*: with violence or greed for example)

edit on 12-9-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
it sucks, they gotta go to jail, destroying their lives. and when these idiots get out in 10 years, they are only 28, no education (as if they were going to graduate anyways) and then, wham, they go back to violent crimes.

i do not understand violent crimes. they were laughing at the guys as they beat them up, so its def mob mentality combined with bad upbringing, low morals, and lack of education.

most of these kids come from single parent homes, and the parent has 3-6 kids, making 30k a year if that.

i LOVE the fact i have money, and i am no way going to have kids, cause that would spoil the fun.

i wish people would realize that. if the single mom had no kids, and she was making 30k a year, she would be be able to do anything as to compared to now, when she has to split the cash 5 ways at minimum.

people need to 1, stop having kids until you are financially stable, and hopefully minimum 30 years old.
people also need to 2, GRADUATE high school and study, so you can get some kind of decent job.

we also need to stop importing illegals to keep the wages low. 30 years ago, anyone could have a minimum wage gig and pay rent. now you gotta have a minimum wage gig and work 20 hours additional at walmart to make the same rent.

im glad i use condoms and pull out.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: toysforadults

We can analyze poverty all we want, but the key is what makes people poor.

The problem is that too many people want to blame everyone and everything except themselves for that.

Poor people make poor choices. My brother-in-law's brother is a trained mechanic. How many truly poor mechanics do you know? I know one. He can't even hold down a job because he lacks the basic job skills to show up on time and consistently, so he ends up fired.

Again, poor people make poor choices.

Nobody is ever going to point out the obvious...

Here is exactly how to improve your financial situation, your life situation.

But it's a lot easier to just blame others and ask your government to make it all better for you.

This is exactly how my father raised me. "You know where to find a helping hand?", he would say,"It's at the end of your own arm". "If you won't even help yourself, how do you expect others to do so for you when they see that"?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't live in small town. My metro area now encompasses one city and 5 surrounding towns. We have 500,000 people and will grow by another 100,000 projected within the next few years due to industry and businesses planning to relocate here.

You are right that in a city like Seattle, the rich have to step up. But they haven't and they won't. They have had the opportunity and all they do is talk and then demand the government do something.

The model for our community could successfully modeled IF the progressive tech companies and the uber rich in Seattle decide to step up instead of demanding the middle class pay for it through taxes. But progressives don't believe in voluntarily helping the poor, they believe in government doing it for them after they are coerced into paying through taxes.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I imagine it depends on what side of the issue one is on.

It's easy for the power culture to espouse love and peace and look at the glass as half full.

The millions denied good by the depraved evil of “civilization” will look at things as either half-empty or all empty

Didn’t you read I said sure there are good and sincere believers in all religions but the present day and history testify that the more negative has prevailed.

The only problem I sense in this logic, is good is deliberately ignored even belittled to accentuate any negative for the negative to have a foothold on the mind. In the end the story will go that good wins out because that is how nature works. Bad ideas, people, or animals get eliminated by nature itself like waste should be when you think logically. Even though some still think so, Lions don't get to free roam this Earth in the Animal kingdom as we were initially led to believe. The hyenas keep them in check. I would say it is good that the Lions have to outsmart them, that keeps them busy.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

And does your outrage motivate a solution that you can share?

A start would be acknowledgement and stop labeling those that point out the truth as if it's coming from some source of hate or intolerance.

You said it, I didn't "Source of hate or intolerance.". I asked a question about your readily apparent outrage and whether or it has provided you with motivation.

That question wasn't answered. You attacked as a distraction. So again, how are you using your outrage?

You can be outraged all you like. I may agree with you or not, but outrage is impotent if not used to better the situation that triggered the outrage.

I'm just pointing out that outrage is an admission of powerlessness unless it encourages some form of action. Action that meets your needs not mine or any others.
edit on 13-9-2019 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: liejunkie01
America needs a massive retraining effort and to lower college tuitions or the future is grim...

We also need to elevate skilled labor jobs that don't require a 2 or 4 year degree. Being a mechanic should command as much respect as being a lawyer. Not everyone needs or wants to go to college. There are a lot of brilliant people who succeed at their craft simply with training and early guidance.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

What is Stopping All American Citizens from going into these Self Created Hell Hole Cities and Kicking the Local Governments Ahasses for Allowing such a Degeneration of Human Civilization ? If Law Enforcement won't Do It , WE THE PEOPLE Sure Can , and the Law would Back Us Up ..............

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I'm not so sure, in the past what you say there certainly applies, the world we live in now is a different beast though. With production and distribution centralised the way it is smaller towns will fail along with the cities.

Dense urban areas economic output is essential for globalism.

Rural output is more locally dependent.

That's really not debatable. And for clarification I'm talking about basic survival needs, not economic output.

If a collapse comes, only a fool would argue it to be advantageous to be in a dense urban area that would be cut off from essential supplies, supplies that are largely dependent on largely national/international(and somewhat rural) distribution networks.

Well I do agree with you there, I guess in the event of collapse then you country folk better have a lot of amunition, because those millions of people in those cities won't go hungry quietly and will search outward for sustainance.

I predict bad things for those not thinking clearly that run to some small town to rob and pillage or worse.

I think if the city thug types make a charge to some small town to rob and pillage, then many of the attackers would not live long.

Sure thing a few swarms will be successful at first, and that will certainly stir a hornets nest of talented defenders. Look up Alvin C York WWI. York carried the type of attitude of the rural people today I do believe. They are humble , most believe in God even if they don't go to Church, men and women are superb marksmen with firearms and other weapons. Annie Oakley lives in a lot of those women and men better watch their P's and Q's.

edit on 13-9-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Perhaps you're right.

Although I suspect it will look more a zombie movie where eventually the people are overrun .

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join