It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is considering a surprise vaping ban that would make flavored e-cigs illegal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I don't think children can make an educated decision on vaping.

Maybe someone should watch out for their best interest until they are adults.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This isn't difficult to work out.

I can take my nicotine addiction to the corner store, or the gas station, or the grocery store, or the department store - or just about anywhere - and drop $6 to $9 on 20 cigarettes that come in a box with a pretty little TAX sticker on it... And have enough to last me about a day. Or half a day if my nerves are shot.

Or

I can drop $20 on a bottle of doughnut flavored liquid ( my current preference ) that does not have a TAX sticker on the box and it lasts me a couple of weeks.

Recent articles keep saying that there's no evidence that vaping helps smokers quit. Well after a 35 year 1 to 2 pack a day habit, and dozens of failed attempts at quitting, 15 months ago vaping did help me quit - immediately and without any backsliding.

Big Brother didn't seem to mind much when the 15 year old version of me was walking his stupid ass into stores and buying cartons of Marlboro reds.

Hell, it kind of seems like Big Brother still doesn't mind much if kids are still doing it

Must be something magical about that damn tax sticker on those boxes.
edit on 9/11/19 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Tax it and then walk from it.

My only concern is that someday, somehow the US will end up with socialized health care and I don't particularly look forward to having to pay for the cancer treatments of a bunch of middle aged fools who got vape lung from their little douche whistles... but that logic can (and will) be applied to wean the country off all sorts of freedoms when we finally jump the shark and adopt Euro-style socialized healthcare, so I reckon the bridge can be crossed (or jumped from) then.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
Big Brother didn't seem to mind much when the 15 year old version of me was walking his stupid ass into stores and buying cartons of Marlboro reds.

Big Brother wasn't paying for your health care when you were 15, though. Between the expansion of Medicaid and the ACA that's a fairly new development, placing the cost of the consequences of these products onto society rather than on the person making the choice in the first place.

This is going to be a major issue moving forward and, frankly, it mirrors the "something's gotta break" events the US witnesssed when the minimum wage was combined with unions, strict EPA regulations, and strict OSHA regulations to drive jobs straight out of the US... workers cried about their jobs leaving, but failed to see that would be the logical course of action when it became too expensive and restrictive to continue employing Americans and operating manufacturing plants inside America. Similar results will come out of the push for socialized healthcare... it won't simply be "Oh hey, the tax payer is picking up my hospital tab!" it will ultimately be "Oh, the entity overseeing my tab being paid for is saying I can't smoke, vape, eat a Big Mac, exercise my 2nd Amendment Rights, participate in bungie jumping, have unprotected sex, or go 2 days without checking into the gym for my prescribed workout or else I'll have to pay this big ass tax fine." We've by God done it to ourselves, one way or the other. You simply can't have freedom of choice coexisting with freedom from consequences and responsibilities, because the two are actually antithetical to each other.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Now I don’t have any proof, but it might be a concession from Trump to the Democrats due to the fact that some ATS member hurts people’s feelings and has thousands of animated vaping gifs...

But seriously, lots of poor reporting because as I understand it, all vaping deaths had a common denominator of using bootleg THC cartridges. And anything pointing towards THC or pot in a bad light would be taboo to the legalization movement that is rather party heavy in most places. Keep in mind, Trump is a relatively recent convert to the Republicans.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
the Administration or even the Legislature would be better off trying to get 'Vaping' on the list of things that need a 'Prescription' to obtain

by doing an EO to Ban vaping---- the President is acting as if he is a Dictator/ Supreme Leader like what the world sees in Korea or Iran dictating to people

He can't BAN free market products, but he could limit their Availability to the population with stricter control, over the distribution/cost, etc. factors

BTW --- don't we have an FDA to handle this kind of stuff ?
edit on th30156824253811552019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The GOP and trump get loadsa money from the tobacco companies, thats why.
Trufax: The people behind 'climate change is a lie' did the campaign for 'smoking doesn't cause cancer'.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Quit smoking by vaping? Isn't that like saying I quit drinking beer by drinking whiskey.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
The GOP and trump get loadsa money from the tobacco companies, thats why.
Trufax: The people behind 'climate change is a lie' did the campaign for 'smoking doesn't cause cancer'.

Uh, Tim Kaine D was the leading tobacco lobby recipient for 2018 and Hillary Clinton got two and half times as much tobacco lobby money as Trump in 2016.
www.opensecrets.org...

Regardless, it's small potatoes.

But... if you wish to play games, games we shall play!
www.marketwatch.com...

The new FEC figures show that Democrats, who won control of the House during last year’s elections, received $74,000 from Juul’s PAC between January 1 and June 30 while Republicans received $22,500.

Juul also reported giving $2,500 to a left-leaning group called VoteVets. But Jon Soltz, chair of VoteVets, said the organization didn’t accept the money.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Democrats, who won control of the House during last year’s elections, received $74,000 from Juul’s PAC between January 1 and June 30 while Republicans received $22,500.

A bribe is a bribe to me. Both sides are crooked for taking any. Yes, I know these bribes are technically legal but shouldn't be, IMO.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

More like the other way around.

Each cigarette contains anywhere from 8 to 20 mg of nicotine with a median of around 12 mg. That's per cigarette. So a pack a day smoker, even one using ultra lights is likely ingesting about 160 mg.

As stated, I smoked full flavor cigarettes that were in the 20 MG range - so for me it was more like 400 to 800 mg.

By way of comparison the eliquid I use is 6mg of nicotine per ml. I go through about 4-6 ml a day - so a maximum intake of roughly 24 to 36 mg per day.

So more like the town drunk putting down his gallon of whiskey per day and tapering down to a couple of beers after dinner.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Big Tobacco has been working overtime! We all knew this would come - Big Tobacco has been getting the (butts) handed to them as Americans are rapidly quitting smoking, many of them utilizing vaping as a substitute.

How could they possibly ban "e-cigs" and not tobacco itself? Perhaps they should check out these isolated incidents and figure out what the people were using. Probably some pre-made-in-China pods.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I dont like big govt bans... but the parent in me says GREAT... hate those idiots that dont hesitate to blow that junk around my 1 yr old telling me dude its safe.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

The point was there is still nicotine. But if you cut back a sizable amount then that's great and better for your body.

I know how difficult it is to stop smoking.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
On Wednesday, President Trump held a policy meeting at the White House to discuss national vaping guidelines amidst hundreds of cases of vaping-related illnesses across the United States.

I'll be interested to see what ATS' consensus is on this decision.

Ban on flavored e-cigarettes doesn't add up....

Millions of people use flavored e-cigarettes with no problems.. but a few hundred vaping-related illnesses causes a ban?

Who's doing the MATH?

edit on 11-9-2019 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftyArrow

Who's doing the MATH?

Feds.

And I don't like when feds play math when it comes to liberty and freedom.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
If the ban is only imposed on vaping and not on tobacco products, then that should be setting off alarm bells.

Cigarettes and alcohol have been killing people in mass for years but suddenly they are caring about people's health?

BS, big tobacco clearly owns Trump and anyone else who supports this.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
For me, vaping is cheaper than smoking tobacco.
I have this feeling that I am going to be forced to go outside of buildings to vape, not vape at stadiums and PAY three times more than I pay now.

I'm not opposed to it not being allowed inside, as I don't think others should have to deal with the smell/fog (though my employer allows us as long as we keep away from customer areas.)

I will say, after many attempts, I finally ditched cigarettes for vaping a few years ago. My cardiovascular fitness has come back, blood pressure numbers are great (not just for my age), and I feel fantastic!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I think banning vape products is jacked up, but I do understand the knee jerk reaction as kids are the ones mainly buying the fruit flavored products- it is for the same reason that fruit and candy flavored cigarettes were banned several years ago (2009 under Obama).

I think what people do not understand about vaping is something I learned years ago before its rise in popularity: If you are more prone to lung and bronchial issues than the majority of people vaping is probably not a good fit for you. Back before anyone but potheads knew about vaping I found out that any time I tried I ended up with a severe lung infection. I'm fairly certain it was because I have had problems with bronchial and lung infections more often than my peers throughout my life since early childhood. I've never had problems smoking in any other form- only vaping. It is only a guess, but I think that maybe those who have become severely ill or even died from vaping related lung illnesses may also have been pre-disposed to bronchial and lung infections even before trying vaping. JMHO.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Tax it and then walk from it.

My only concern is that someday, somehow the US will end up with socialized health care and I don't particularly look forward to having to pay for the cancer treatments of a bunch of middle aged fools who got vape lung from their little douche whistles... but that logic can (and will) be applied to wean the country off all sorts of freedoms when we finally jump the shark and adopt Euro-style socialized healthcare, so I reckon the bridge can be crossed (or jumped from) then.

LOL, that's a good one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join