It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is considering a surprise vaping ban that would make flavored e-cigs illegal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

On Wednesday, President Trump held a policy meeting at the White House to discuss national vaping guidelines amidst hundreds of cases of vaping-related illnesses across the United States.

The Trump administration, with guidance from the FDA, is preparing to ban the sale of all flavored e-cigarettes across the US, the administration said in an unexpected annoucement.

Source

This is just breaking so sources are a little scarce. It would appear that the nanny state has once again decided that adults are not mature enough to make decisions about their own body.

I'll be interested to see what ATS' consensus is on this decision.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I am against all drug laws (concerning adults), including e-cigarettes.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Someone slap Trump and tell him no

Then slap him again and tell him to refocus on the issues

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

so, No more menthol vaps?

does that mean Kools and Newports are going to be illegal?

what about cherry cigars, or grape wraps?

why just Vaps?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

maybe President Trump is racist against Vaps?

that must be it.
edit on 11-9-2019 by thedigirati because: sent twice because of double click

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Would need to look into it more but I think the question can be asked if you're going to ban vapes then why not just ban all nicotine/Tabacco products?

I am fairly sure it's a fair bet that right now the evidence shows that more people are killed due to smoking cigarets than vaping annually.

Feels like a bit of a slippery road but something does need to be done to ensure public safety and I wonder if stronger regulation is whats needed as opposed outright banning the products.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

If he would follow through with his campaign promises I will give him as pass on banning vapes. For the record however, I am entirely against the federal government micro-managing these parts of our lives.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
He is making a knee jerk reaction to the injury's from Vaping that have come to light. From what I have seen its just the flavored E-cig's they are going for. I am sure they will amend to a must be 21 or over too buy. I hate the nanny state and this is just overreach no matter how you look at it.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I really don't know what to make of this. Michigan became the first state to ban flavored e juices just last week. Everyone was in shock that our Democrat governor Gretchen Wilson pushed this through.

Now our republican President is considering such policies nationwide just one week later?

Crazy times, indeed.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
POTUS discussing policy with the fda and cdc is a good thing.
POTUS issuing executive orders against products is not a good thing.
friom your link:

Health experts are still unsure what's causing these illnesses and deaths and the FDA and CDC continue to investigate.

if they are unsure then a ban is premature imo
also from your link:

The meeting comes after more than 450 people have been hospitalized and at least five died from vaping-related lung illnesses, both from nicotine and THC vape products.

5 dead people springs the fda and cdc into action......
guess the gun manufactures and auto makers better watch out.....
from your link:

"The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities," Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. "We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth."

surely they will have the actual studies to back up this info?
e-cigarettes are illegal for those under age? right?

so this looks bans to enforce unenforceable laws?

boo

this is bad policy mr potus

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If this is true I take back what I said yesterday about Trump being more open minded than most politicians when it comes to drug use. I find it a little odd because Trump has floated the idea of ending the federal ban on marijuana. The article does make me think it's not really Trump heading this issue, "She's got a son ... she feels very strongly about it" is what Trump said about Melania's involvement in the vaping issue. I understand that 5 people dying from vapes isn't good, but what they really should be asking is how many people would have died from smoking real cigarettes had vapes not existed.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Apparently we can law our way to utopia.

We don’t need the government taking away our rights. Don’t punish me for someone else’s bad choice. Let’s just ban alcohol and tobacco. Let’s ban fatty fast food, let’s ban caffeine. Let’s ban energy drinks. Let’s just ban everything that can be abused by anyone to “protect the kids”.

Hopefully we all wake up one day and take back our rights. And hopefully it will be a peaceful process.
edit on 11-9-2019 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Would be interesting to know if any of this has to do with the Tabacco lobby influencing this

Anyone one know?

Am not making a accusation am just curious.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This ban would immediately shutter many small businesses.

Bad move. No more nanny state.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I wonder how many businesses / jobs such a knee jerk ban would effect.

Surely rules imposing minimum standards on ingredients would be a better way to go , suspect ingredients should be banned not all ingredients.

I'm old skool , only use Tobacco vapes.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

They have to nail down the cause to start with. Then they can issue safety rules and best practices.

There's a few small businesses in my area that would go bust immediately due to a ban like that.

I personally don't use the stuff, however, I don't believe bans solve problems.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

They have to nail down the cause to start with.

didn't the fda have to sign off on these before they could be sold ?
so did the fda screw up?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

All one has to do is look who owns vaping products and supplies, and who will this hurt.
Who will this benefit... I have a pretty good idea.

Also if we are banning vape products, why not french fries, alcohol, and how about good ol' fashioned cigarettes???

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Well that's part of the issue. Some of the people that have been injured from issues related to vaping opening have stated that they wouldn't have been smoking. Another issue with this, and I don't know why it's being over looked, is that the 6 deaths from vaping all had THC in their vape systems (be it an e-cig or those other devices)

I'm not sure how I feel about banning the use of these items, but it seems that since the business isn't regulated very well, and that most people don't know what's going in to their lungs when puffing a flavored liquid, then a temp ban of flavored liquid might be in order so that the FDA can set regulations down as to what can/can not be in them. Personally I'm not sure what is worse; inhaling vaporized nicotine or inhaling vaporized sugar. On one hand you know what some of the dangers are with nicotine, but one the other you're putting sharded molecules into your lungs.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Don't know. I'm not sure what the regulatory structure is surrounding these products.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join