It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 11 2001. 18 year anniversary

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was a frequent business traveler. I was based in Chicago and working on a consulting engagement in Philly.

A co-worker came by and was like a plane hit the WTC! We all thought it was like Cessna or something at first. There wasn't a TV in the office, so we ran over to a hotel bar across the street to watch what was going on live. I've never seen a room so full of people, but yet so quiet.

While I was standing there watching what was going on, I then realized that my wedding was scheduled that weekend and there would be no planes flying. Not only that, I am 700 miles away from home! I called my fiance who was i grad school and she was still sleep. She woke up and I told her turn on TV as we had more to worry about than rain in regards to the wedding. Half her family and guests are from Jersey.

Long story short, I "stole" the rental car I had in Philly and drove home to Chicago with three other colleagues. It was a somber drive. Every rest stop you could tell other business travelers were doing the same thing. Bland Toyota Camry's driven by pudgy middle age guys in khakis and polos.

Our wedding actually went off without a hitch that Saturday. The guest list went from like 500 people down to about 75. Everyone had to drive to the wedding. My family had to drive up from GA. My wife's from Jersey. We had our wedding at a museum and they did us a solid only charging for the guest that showed up. Actually turned out nice and many thanked us for still having the wedding as it took their minds off the events earlier that week.

The consulting engagement I was working on was a big corporate merger. My colleague worked out of our Boston office and actually took the Boston to LA flight that went down frequently. She cancelled her trip at the last minute otherwise she would have been on that flight...

My company also had our NYC office at WTC. We only lost one person though...

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
At that point of my career I was working in the Defense Industry for a company that provided different types of secured communications to different agencies and locations.

I remember driving to work that day and listening to Stern as he was breaking the news.

THe rest of the day became a series of crowds gathered around TV's in open areas and secured locations go into lock down with different contingency plans being implemented.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I was actually across the street from the Pentagon at a bodega.
I had just purchased a jumbo frap and a bacon wrap and was walking out of the door towards my car.
Thats when I saw a missile come flying in low and slow.
It smashed right into the side of the Pentagon.
I was like - holy sh!t!
Then these vans pulled up and people poured out and went into all of the surrounding buildings.
Two guys walked right past me, almost knocking me over.
They were like - give us your video camera footage, it's a matter of national security and stuff.
I was like - I'm out!

edit on 10-9-2019 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Whoever did it, TPTB used it to the fullest to tighten their iron grip on power and control.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That cool, clear, fall morning, I was in the air, actually I was flying a PA-161 Warrior II, as a student pilot. The radio went completely bonkers. We had no idea what was happening until we got to the pilot’s lounge and saw a tv.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I remember that day very clearly. I was working in central Australia. I'd got up, showered and turned on the TV while I dressed and made a coffee.

Looking at the TV I thought the news footage was of some movie like Independence Day. Lacing up my boots watching I realized, "Hang on", this is real and happened as I watched.

Subsequently me and my colleagues spent that day shift watching the progress. It affected those where I worked and consequently I had quite a few locals approach me and ask questions and later that afternoon summonsed to a community council meeting to discuss preventative measures locally. It was difficult to explain to them that the 'terrorists' weren't interested in a small desert community in central Australia.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

It was September 12th here in the antipodes as we are roughly 12 hours ahead of the US in time-zone.

I was just finishing up the celebration of my first born son's birthday. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year so I'm a bit miserable at the moment.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I was listening to morning radio out of Tampa, though at this point, I can't remember if it was still the MJ & BJ Morning Show on 93.3 WFLZ still, or if BJ had exited the show by then. I do remember the topic on the air was a guy looking for his long-lost kid , but that topic went to the wayside real damn fast. I thought they were yanking everyone for a few minutes, until they started hollering about a second plane coming. I hightailed it to the boob tube and turned it on just in time to see #2 hit.

I lived right under the flight landing path for Tampa International at the time, we always got a good view of the belly of the planes. It was pin drop silent in the air that day, and it was utterly bone-chilling for a neighborhood used to constant flight noise. The silence was SO unnatural.
edit on 9/10/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I was talking to a girlfriend in Australia on Yahoo chat. They were as shaken and horrified as we were. I had to go to bed before the buildings came down, and never ever expected them to fall like they did. I thought they would put out the fire. I work in the steel industry, and we make material that is used in both post tensioned and pre stressed concrete. I knew kerosene could not produce enough heat to do that. Imagine my amazement when I awoke to find that they fell
edit on 10-9-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Continuation of my story above...

The towers were still up when I went to the hotel bar. I ran back over to my office to call my fiance, so I couldn't see the TV anymore. While we were on the phone, the first tower came down and she is freaking out on the phone, crying that the building came down... really surreal.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Im very sorry to hear that

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I remember it well, it was a clear fall like day and I was working on replacing elevator door parts in an old building . I usually came down around 9:30 or 10 in the morning for a smoke break.

I came down, and the receptionist, a guy , ask if I have heard of a plane crashing in NYC. Nope , I said and went outside. Walked up a block the see what was going on , on the big tv the bank had up with people gathered around.

That is when I saw the second plane hit and learned about the first one. As I watched for a few minutes, I called my wife to go pick up my daughter from daycare and meet me at home.

Stayed glued to the tv the rest of the day.

My son was born 10 days later , so you can imagine I was more focused on that then anything else.

It was a blur. No planes in the skies and I erected a pole to fly an American flag.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

This is a morning I will never forget, I was still sleeping my work hours were 11-7. I slept better with the tv on and I was having a dream that I was stuck in an elevator with the building on fire- I woke up to my phone ringing Incessantly asking if my love was ok, I told them that I had no idea and would update them when I found out.

My soon to be husband worked for a major computer company and was on an American Airlines flight that exact morning at the exact time- his flight was to land in New York. They diverted to St. Louis Missouri and upon leaving the airport he said people were frantic. The airlines had thrown everyone's luggage out at the same time and it was a mad house with people panicking. He said people didn't care about the people who were slower especially the elderly and tried his best to help.

He was stuck in St. Louis, all rental cars were taken. I recruited our good friends to help me get him home as soon as possible. We drove nonstop all night to go get him from St. Louis which turned out to be a good decision because all flights were grounded for a few days.

I have a identification pass card from World Trade Center 1 from my husband doing work for the company "The Beast" with his photo from a month before the attacks. I also have a advertisement mailer from the World Trade Center that was received two days after the attacks- that says "get up, get out, getaway, destination.... New York City."
It is a fold out brochure that has the pricing for the Marriott hotel that was located in the Towers.

On the way home we bought a newspaper in Oklahoma that has the Oklahoma bombing juxtaposed against the World Trade Center attacks.

edit on 11-9-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: Add

edit on 11-9-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I decided to play sick from school. I was a freshman in high school. I remember answering the phone and our neighbor asked if my mother was home, that there had been a catastrophe in New York. I have her the phone and she rushed to the family room I followed. It was right after the second plane hit. It seemed surreal. I remember in the days that followed how quiet the sky’s were. We lived fairly close to the local airport and always had planes flying over head.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I was 20 years old, and just waking up for work. I sleep with the tv on, or I can't sleep. I woke up with whatever channel I was watching the night before with live coverage of the unfolding events. I woke up about 10 minutes after the first plane hit. I remember sitting there watching the news, and myself, trying to make sense of what had just happened...then I watched an airplane on live television fly into the second tower.

I'll never forget that moment.

The news immediately said it seems that there was an explosion in tower 2 from unknown causes. I knew the cause, I watched it, now completely aghast of what to think. I watched the news for another 30 minutes, but then I had to go on my way to work. I was a general manager at a subway in Scottsdale, AZ, and the store had to open, so I went on my way.

Back in those days Howard Stern was broadcast on regular radio, and I listened to his show every morning. That morning the show was rather silent and somber. I remember Stern saying 'oh my god oh my god the tower just collapsed, we gotta get out of here'.

They stayed in their building broadcasting on, and I kept Stern on all day, when normally after I open I would put on the ambient music. That day no one wanted to hear music, they only wanted to hear the news. That day I closed up shop shortly after 2pm...there was no business.

That day is a day I will never forget.

RIP to all those that lost their lives, and well wishes to all affected directly or indirectly on this anniversary.

Never forget!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

It was September 12th here in the antipodes as we are roughly 12 hours ahead of the US in time-zone.

I was just finishing up the celebration of my first born son's birthday. Sadly, he passed away earlier this year so I'm a bit miserable at the moment.

I am so sorry for your loss. I will pray for you and your family,
edit on 11-9-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Your Service is well respected by myself and all TRUE AMERICANS !!

Thank You.

I was in the Navy long before 9/11.

I Salute You and I Salute all serving and former Military Personal 🙂

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

I ask you all, what we’re you doing the moment you found out we were under attack?

I was off that day from my job at the time.

I woke up late and saw the TV and just about crapped in my pants !!

I offer a moment of Silence today 🙂

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
I was actually across the street from the Pentagon at a bodega.
I had just purchased a jumbo frap and a bacon wrap and was walking out of the door towards my car.
Thats when I saw a missile come flying in low and slow.
It smashed right into the side of the Pentagon.
I was like - holy sh!t!
Then these vans pulled up and people poured out and went into all of the surrounding buildings.
Two guys walked right past me, almost knocking me over.
They were like - give us your video camera footage, it's a matter of national security and stuff.
I was like - I'm out!

wow

I hope those needing peace today find it.
It was a horrible day.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I'd just finished seating the punters in screen 1 at the Odeon cinema, I was standing in the corridor when Luke, a projectionist and good friend of mine, came to tell me about the first plane hitting the tower.

I remember feeling sad.

Then, sometime later, he came and told me about the second plane.

I remember feeling angry at this point.

I was only 18 at the time, but was already well aware of the kind of world we were now living in.

I knew, at that moment, that the US was under attack, and punched the wall in anger (I was a bit hot-headed in my younger years, but that's another thread).

I knew, at that moment, that the world had forever changed.

My Son was just a few months old.

I'd never heard of the WTC before that fateful day.

RIP to all of the victims, and condolences to their friends and loved ones.

💐

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join