It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Democrats really better at reducing the deficit?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
www.politifact.com...

"(Bill) Clinton got it to zero." This is true. During his presidency, Clinton managed to zero out the deficit and end his term with a $128.2 billion surplus.

Right now the deficit is 22 trillion and growing. That is 22,000,000,000,000 + Wow, that 70 billion under Reagan seems like chump change now.

I put this in the mud pit because I have a simple question... What has Trump done to help, reduce or even slow the deficit? Anything?
When we look back in the past, a lot will be forgotten. Dumb attacks on a person because he used a sharpie, outbursts on twitter, etc.
What will not be forgotten is how a president left his office and the people he served. Right now it looks bad.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

No, they really aren't. If they were, they would have done it with their supermajority and Obama.

The main problem and dirty little secret is that the main things raising the deficit are the things no one can touch because they are red-hot radioactive - entitlements like Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security. Contrary to what they would have you believe, they make up more of our budget than any other single spending category, even defense.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

If one were to ask John Kasich, he and his budget committee were responsible for that, Bill Clinton merely signed it.

But hey, not saying it was a bad thing. Its just funny a Republican wrote the budget
edit on 9-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

Eta www.cato.org...
edit on 9-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: eta

We have a balanced budget today that is mostly a result of 1) an exceptionally strong economy that is creating gobs of new tax revenues and 2) a shrinking military budget. Social spending is still soaring and now costs more than $1 trillion.
edit on 9-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

Newt Gingrich and company — for all their faults — have received virtually no credit for balancing the budget. Yet today’s surplus is, in part, a byproduct of the GOP’s single-minded crusade to end 30 years of red ink. Arguably, Gingrich’s finest hour as Speaker came in March 1995 when he rallied the entire Republican House caucus behind the idea of eliminating the deficit within seven years.
edit on 9-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: eta

The claim is generally made that Clinton had a surplus of $69 billion in FY1998, $123 billion in FY1999 and $230 billion in FY2000 . In that same link, Clinton claimed that the national debt had been reduced by $360 billion in the last three years, presumably FY1998, FY1999, and FY2000--though, interestingly, $360 billion is not the sum of the alleged surpluses of the three years in question ($69B + $123B + $230B = $422B, not $360B).

While not defending the increase of the federal debt under President Bush, it's curious to see Clinton's record promoted as having generated a surplus. It never happened. There was never a surplus and the facts support that position. In fact, far from a $360 billion reduction in the national debt in FY1998-FY2000, there was an increase of $281 billion.

www.craigsteiner.us...
edit on 9-9-2019 by BlueJacket because: Eta

link   
Its pretty hard for the guy to do anything positive when he gets tantrums, nonsense, and government shutdowns every time democrats dont get their way.

To be honest in Clinton's time of presidency, he didn't have to deal with the House and Senate acting like goddamn children.

link   
Democrats are not BETTER at anything, but pissing and moaning.

And bitching.
edit on 9-9-2019 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

And always crying about something.

And being just outright spoiled brats.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

shhhhhhhhh. A major conservative rallying cry has gone almost silent while this goes on behind news of the ''wall'' and the sharpie'' and all the other ''great'' things he is doing. Bankrolling the present on the backs of the future.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I put this in the mud pit because I have a simple question... What has Trump done to help, reduce or even slow the deficit? Anything?

The Mud Pit isn't about getting your question honestly answered. LOL

To answer your question, at this point he has added to the deficit. But, he has said that he would like to cut Medicare, Social Security and has already cut SNAP benefits.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

The Mud Pit isn't about getting your question honestly answered. LOL

To answer your question, at this point he has added to the deficit. But, he has said that he would like to cut Medicare, Social Security and has already cut SNAP benefits.

Oddly enough sometimes I think this is the most honest venue.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Slick Willy was one lucky dude. He rode the blooming of the computer age and the birth of the internet age like a seasoned bronk rider. It made all his numbers look good.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Come on Charlie, you can do better than that. Add a few more edits, you can do it. How long until time expires on editing. See if you can fill the rest of the page with em.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Newt Gingrich and his crew probably had more to do with the balanced budget during that administration.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
One thought is that if we weren't borrowing from an "unregulated" private entity and we could take a look at their books - well maybe we could get at least an idea on how to reduce it. I mean even at 1% interest, what is that on 44 trillion dollars? Who is benefiting from that servicing fee? No one I know.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The Myth of the Clinton Surplus 😃

edit on Sep-09-2019 by xuenchen because: 🐔 🤓

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Thats why obama sent a planeload of cash to our terrorist freinds - to avoid service fees for his beloved americans.
Lol
edit on 9-9-2019 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Budgets originate in the house, then are debated in the Senate before being signed by the President. Under Obama,the Senate rejected budgets and waited for the government to nearly shutdown in order to get a continuing resolution, and congress seem to still be following that pattern.

Clinton presided over a Republican house and Senate his last 6 years.
edit on 9-9-2019 by Jason79 because: format errors

link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Come on Charlie, you can do better than that. Add a few more edits, you can do it. How long until time expires on editing. See if you can fill the rest of the page with em.

LOL I probably could.

Only my dear friends are allowed to call me Charlie.

link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

OH, what a shame. The other two branches of government are not cow towing to the Executive Branch. What a shame. I suppose we should take that up with the Founding Fathers who should have insisted that those two branches should just fall in line and rubber stamp everything the potus wants.

edit on 30America/ChicagoMon, 09 Sep 2019 12:13:55 -0500Mon, 09 Sep 2019 12:13:55 -050019092019-09-09T12:13:55-05:001200000013 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I"m glad you took that little dig so well sir. I had forgotten to add

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Newt Gingrich and his crew probably had more to do with the balanced budget during that administration.

This!!

Clinton turned into a moderate republican after the 1994 shellacking...
Unlike today’s liberals, Clinton was actually willing to listen to the American populace...
The zealots of today’s liberals refuse to compromise...they are intransigent and their beliefs are more akin to a religion than a political ethos...
This is illustrated time and again by their 100% strict adherence to the liberal dogma.

In fact, they view politically conservative citizens as evil and heretical...labeling us as deniers...which, to my ear, sounds precisely like a modern recitation of infidel or heretic as uttered by Inquisition Era Spain...

The most ironic part is modern leftists mock religion despite their own religious adherence to the liberal ideology(read religion)

Thankfully Trump is the Kwisatz Haderach...
Deal with it leftists..

-Chris

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I"m glad you took that little dig so well sir. I had forgotten to add

My spirits are high this morning and it's a beautiful day. Have a good one yourself.

I forgot the thumbs up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join