It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban of flavored ecigs....tax money?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
When I tell someone smoking a cigarette to get the F away from my baby, nobody raises a fuss, all to often when I tell someone smoking an E cig to beat feat I get... but its not bad for you.

You can never convince me that inhaling a liquid and tiny particles of nicotine and other chemicals is a healthy practice, and keep it away from my fricking kid.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Michigan was just the first to ban flavored ones. Lots of new businesses to fold. Can't have mom and pop businesses

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Gothmog

Now they say these things damage your lungs. Shocker... Don't use 2 ml's in one puff and you'll be fine.

Cigarettes bad
Vaping bad
Marijuana good

Yes , one can get bronchitis from vaping

Don't use 2 ml's in one puff

Don't you worry yourself one bit .
Two 30ml bottles do me a month
Been vaping for a long time now
Ex 40+ year smoker of 2 packs a day
Never felt better in my life .

As far as the last mentioned ?
The 70s left , I grew up and hstarted a family.
Left that sh__ behind.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Just tax it more then.

However there is something dubious about the reasons for keeping cigarettes legal, but trying to make vapes illegal.

Cigs are a net positive to government healthcare systems. People who smoke on average die younger, and have fewer final health expenses, meaning they cost social welfare systems less. Meanwhile they pay taxes on every pack they buy, which out weights the increased healthcare prices they accrue yearly in their shorter lives from smoking.

So overall to the smoker, their healthcare expenses are higher, but the government through tax makes that back and then some. Throw in a shorter life span on average, and that is less years of non-working and being paid benefits or on social welfare systems. That again is a net positive in that it means fewer government expenses.

Cigarettes are allowed because it is a net benefit to the rest of the government in two ways not just the obvious one.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Pluginn

Well that entire article is not based in fact. The research has shown vaping carries all the same risks, just less so, and actually makes it less likely to quit.

Ok link that research, I guess you can't?

All the same risks, dream on.

edit on 10-9-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

They make false equivalencies..

“ you know vaping isn’t good for you either.. “

No one said it was, only that it is less harmful..

“Vaping doesn’t help everyone quit nicotine “

Everyone is not trying to quit nicotine..

They spout something no one is claiming, and argue against that fake point because on that fable point they are right..

The only thing is no one thought otherwise..

There is no large group of people claiming vaping is totally harmless..

They lose actually debating “cigarettes vs. vaping” So they change the topic to “vaping vs having no vices at all”.

It is a super common tactic used in countless arenas.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Cigs have taxes and shorten peoples lives so a win win for the government. My mother only lived to 85 so I feel smoking would eventually kill her but a bad Dr. got her first.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

Oh for sure big Tabacco is paying for most of the bad publicity, but in our present click bait society I doubt they have to..

Fear mongering sells..

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
So , politicians know more about the subject than :
John Hopkins Institute.
Emory University.
The CDC .
Harvard Health.
Who state that the only problem is the nicotine .
Addictive , and raises blood pressure. Hell , coffee raises blood pressure.
Well , there are mixtures with 0 nicotine.

Because everything boils down to emotions and optics with politicians. Doesn't matter if it's far safer than real cigs, the image of kids smoking stirs up their tear ducts and causes them to implement reactionary laws with no real logic behind them. This is why I've said in the past that the left will actually be a major obstacle when it comes to legalization of certain drugs. They are so bogged down in the "greater good" ideology they fail to see how it contradicts and often overrides their ideologies which are based on personal liberty. They talk a good talk when it comes to liberty and freedom, especially when it comes to drug legalization but their actions rarely ever align with their words. One thing I actually respect Obama for is the work he did on marijuana legalization, because in Australia all I see from mainstream leftist politicians is fear-mongering around marijuana (the greens are an exception but they're not really mainstream), and it's the same in most other nations. The argument always revolves around the "think of the children" and "safe space" mentality.

In AU we let teenagers drink at 18 years old but heaven forbid they should be allowed to toke on a joint. Unfortunately we live in a world ruled by people who hardly have two neurons in their head. And this is one of the core reasons I like Trump, he's not a typical politician and he's willing to think outside the box. The NPC's don't like that because it introduces uncertainty into their bland little world, they just want a mainstream politician who wears a nice suit and speaks like a robot, even if they are nothing but a figure head for the deep state, they crave the comfort and predictability provided by those politicians above anything else. And I find that to be a truly sad mentality, because if people like that control the world we'll never make real progress as a society.
edit on 10/9/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Since living in a reasonable sized city, with the average traffic etc its like smoking forty untipped cigs a day, that's a proven fact, so any discussion about cigs and vaping is a bit pointless health wise.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Saying something is a fact does not make it so. It's about half a cig a day in the US. Beijing is not even as bad as you claim. Basically China can be on some days as bad as you claim, and people need to wear masks, otherwise they will die very young.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   

No seriously www.bing.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Saying something is a fact does not make it so. It's about half a cig a day in the US. Beijing is not even as bad as you claim. Basically China can be on some days as bad as you claim, and people need to wear masks, otherwise they will die very young.

Lol how can you say that when you said this (quote below) as fact which isn't, you said it without any proof, it's basiclly only your opinion.

Well that entire article is not based in fact. The research has shown vaping carries all the same risks, just less so, and actually makes it less likely to quit.

edit on 11-9-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   

People have been smoking, various stuff since they sat around a fire thinking of something to do, If you don't like it fair enough, but smokers also should have the right of smokers only places. But that would be in a democracy which is long gone.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

No seriously www.bing.com...

Your source says A pack, not 40 packs.

Increases in air pollution compared to smoking a pack of cigarettes every day

There are no cities outside Asia that come close to that figure. The average in America is 0.4 packs.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Because it's fact.

Nicotine is the primary agent in both regular cigarettes and e-cigarettes, and it is highly addictive. It causes you to crave a smoke and suffer withdrawal symptoms if you ignore the craving. Nicotine is also a toxic substance. It raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack.

Is vaping bad for you? There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. “People need to understand that e-cigarettes are potentially dangerous to your health,” says Blaha. “You’re exposing yourself to all kinds of chemicals that we don’t yet understand and that are probably not safe.”

Although they’ve been marketed as an aid to help you quit smoking, e-cigarettes have not received Food and Drug Administration approval as smoking cessation devices. A recent study found that most people who intended to use e-cigarettes to kick the nicotine habit ended up continuing to smoke both traditional and e-cigarettes.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Air Pollution Location Equivalent in cigarettes per day
US, average 0.4
EU, average 1.6
Beijing, average 4.0

berkeleyearth.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:55 PM
link   

You are quoting averages which would have been taken from countryside locations. vbgr.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Beijing is not a country side. It has one of the highest pollution rates in the world. There is no US/EU city anywhere near it.

Your source.

Over 7,000 adults between the ages of 45 and 84

To put it in perspective, the increase in emphysema among the participants was equivalent to “29 pack-years of smoking,” which means 29 years of a pack-a-day cigarette smoking habit.

So that means they smoked less than 0.5 packs a day. Which is what I said it is .. not the 40 you claimed. Your sources you keep using prove me right and you wrong. Just stop.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Why would big tobacco be paying for bad publicity when they're heavily invested in the vaping industry? Juul, vype, blu and all the other "mainstream" brands you see in supermarkets and gas stations etc. are all being pushed by them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join