It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Terrorism Watchlist Unconstitutional

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

In the summer of 2014, The Intercept published the secret rulebook behind those lists. The 166-page “Watchlisting Guidance” detailed the process by which the U.S. national security apparatus adds individuals to the Terrorist Screening Database, or TSDB, better known as “the watchlist” from which other lists — such as the no-fly list — are built.

The document revealed a staggeringly due process-free system in which the government was routinely affixing the word “terrorist” to an individual’s name and disseminating that information to a sprawling network of foreign and private partners, with virtually no evidence required to support the claim.

In a post-9/11 world, this murky system disproportionately impacted Muslims, though U.S. lawmakers and infants were also caught in the mix. Armed with the government’s own rulebook, and the firsthand experiences of nearly two dozen plaintiffs, lawyers at the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR, began a multiyear challenge to the secretive system. On Wednesday, the attorneys were rewarded a historic ruling, with a federal judge finding that the watchlisting process had violated their clients’ rights.

[...]

It was his encounters with the watchlisting system, Shibly explained, that inspired him to become an attorney. “Just about every Muslim American that I know is either on the watchlist or knows somebody on the watchlist,” he said. “When we, as American Muslims, are targeted because of our religion, that undermines the freedom for all Americans. So yesterday’s victory was not just one of the greatest victories in the history of the United States for the American Muslim community, but it was in fact one of the greatest victories for all Americans.”

“Yesterday’s victory,” he added, “makes me proud to be an American.”

The Intercept

"Told ya!"

I don't really have anything to add, this is surprisingly good news after all. Thought I should share.

Any comments and opinions?
Have a great time!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Now your anti-fa bros can leave away the masks when they go out, making sure people have it warm in their homes and I heard broken glass can bring luck, too.

Maybe a new car because the old one was thrown over *somehow*

edit on 8-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: keyboard was hungry and swallowed a letter

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Oh rats. I suppose I will no longer be on that list since it will be destroyed. Being on that list because I post here is the only exciting thing I ever do these days. Maybe I am still on the FBI list, it makes me feel like I am not a nobody

I feel much more boring now.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

a reply to: rickymouse

But... but... but... you are still on the no-fly-list, I hope? How many lists are there anyway?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
All Americans should be asked one simple question.

Do you agree with and support the whole Constitution?

If they say no, or they only agree with parts of it, put them on the list. Also deport them if allowable

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

edit on 8-9-2019 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

So the Red Flag laws should be ruled unconstitutional also based on the precedent of this ruling.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

If they say no, or they only agree with parts of it, put them on the list. Also deport them if allowable

The constitutions as written or as interpreted by the Supreme Court?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Years ago in 69 my name got put on a CIA watch list. I know because the fellow who put up my name confessed to me that he had done so. He did not work for the CIA but had his tuition paid by them and all he had to do was give them names.

That lead to my expulsion from that college and hence my chosen career.

Years later, working in a non critical government job, I queried a supervisor as to why I was never allowed to advance in my work. He, who was on the verge of retiring told me matter of factly that I would never get any advancement because my name was on a list. ......

That list was Operation CHAOS

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Tell me more about this Red Flag law, please! You are probably right, care to elaborate?

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Wow. Thanks for sharing! Never heard of that OP. Sounds like chaos magick, in a very bad way.

Which brings me back to my other question: how many watch lists are there? This demands more research, and I don't think I'm going to like the results.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Due process, something you’d probably hate.

Google it your damned self.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

If they say no, or they only agree with parts of it, put them on the list. Also deport them if allowable.

Let's start with government employees. When they're known to be lying (by their previous deeds and statements), let their tongues be taken from them.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Years ago in 69 my name got put on a CIA watch list. I know because the fellow who put up my name confessed to me that he had done so. He did not work for the CIA but had his tuition paid by them and all he had to do was give them names.

That lead to my expulsion from that college and hence my chosen career.

Years later, working in a non critical government job, I queried a supervisor as to why I was never allowed to advance in my work. He, who was on the verge of retiring told me matter of factly that I would never get any advancement because my name was on a list. ......

Your supervisor would never have known your name was on a list.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I Agree , but " National Security " Concerns Will Over Ride it Every Time . Thanks Harry S. Truman ....................(

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I figured that once Chaos had come to light by the investigations of Seymore Hersh that others would be still to be uncovered. My speculation extends past government surveillance to corporate surveillance as well. After all, government surveillance is to keep an eye on national security while corporate surveillance is to insure the constant flow of profit for the share holders. We are being naive if we think that national security is of more importance that corporate profits.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

Not a specific list Dep. But ''a'' list. I said supervisor but that was to make it brief. He was two stages up from supervisor who had as part of his job, security for our department in the facility I worked in. His comment was brief, with eye contact that told me that was all he could say and to push him no further.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

The constitutions as written or as interpreted by the Supreme Court?

What contitutions ?
There is only 1 Constitution.
And it is the Supreme Court's duty , under that same Constitution , for them to interpret the Constitution to make Court judgements .
Yet , they cannot alter nor amend the Constitution .

edit on 9/8/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

If they say no, or they only agree with parts of it, put them on the list. Also deport them if allowable.

Let's start with government employees. When they're known to be lying (by their previous deeds and statements), let their tongues be taken from them.

But they wont have anything to wag anymore

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

That sounds really unconstitutional.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

Yeah. This thread kinda turned on itself right there. But you didn't see them taking their tongues yet...

*sigh*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join