It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resident of the Bahamas says Dorian came out of nowhere

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Tell me about it, my wife's family was texting her freaking out. We live in Charlotte NC...we're hours from the ocean. It could hit as a category 5, come inland and still only be a TS by the time it gets to us. It's absolutely goofy how overblown things get on the news. I've got a buddy in Jacksonville FL, I sent him a text asking if they were going to stay or drive a little inland. He said they were going to hold it down, as I spent a good portion of my life in FL I didn't even question it. My only other text was after the storm had passed, his response was that they had worse afternoon thunderstorms.

My mother on the other hand, lives by the outer banks, I was actually a little concerned about her. Also they did have a couple of tornadoes in the area right around the storm passed by. Other than that, a bunch of rain with localized street flooding of a few inches.

The news and weather channels have got to keep those ratings up though, so doom and gloom for everyone!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Looking at the damage the 43 dead count seemed way low!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Ah , No . It was from There !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 8-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I live in Port St Lucie! Its literally 100 miles from Grand Bahamas. We where expecting landfall but it stopped over the Bahamas and then went North. The Bahamanian geography has been changed! My first girlfriend lived on a island just off Abaco. No one has heard from them! No way they didnt know! Heard Disney left 100 or so employees stranded on their island. Bad situation!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: sirlancelot

My Prayers go Out to Her that She is Somehow Safe...........
edit on 8-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Something wicked was with Dorian.

Maybe some dark psychic forces !! 🐇

Someone needs to ask the psychically connected lady who's running for President. Will she be in the dim debate next week?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I sent her a $3 donation, so that she might make the debate, because she's just too much fun to listen to, so I'm on her mailing list.

I got this in an email today from her:

Yesterday, I spoke at the New Hampshire Democratic Convention.
See here to check out my speech. www.youtube.com... utu.be

This Thursday, September 12, the Democratic National Committee will host its third debate. Because I only got one at 2% out of the 4 DNC-designated polls, I won’t be there. But take heart! I will still be speaking post-debate live in Los Angeles and via livestream.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot
I live in Port St Lucie! Its literally 100 miles from Grand Bahamas. We where expecting landfall but it stopped over the Bahamas and then went North. The Bahamanian geography has been changed! My first girlfriend lived on a island just off Abaco. No one has heard from them! No way they didnt know! Heard Disney left 100 or so employees stranded on their island. Bad situation!

Something is off and doesn't seem right about this aftermath situation.

Saw this video today and really has me scratching my head. These people are really in a bad way in Abaco and it certainly doesn't seem like the government there gives two squats. This guy said they charged each person $75 dollars to get them off Abaco to the main island..

Also that there are so many dead bodies it reeks of death.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Could Finlayson's feeling that the storm came out of nowhere be a direct result of News Media failing at its job to inform the people?

Maybe, to be sure, we would have to ask him directly. What's bugging me though is that part : "News Media failing at its job to inform people". To be clear, I believe it's an individual job to inform himself, since well, it is known that life is dangerous and that if you want to live longer, you should watch your back.

More specifically, the problem I see is that people take their "security" (whatever it is) for granted. They believe others must inform them. What the heck? One must takes its responsabilities and inform himself about what's the surrounding, and more importantly, what can destroy his life.

Thanks for the thread, it really shows that we tend to become less aware of cause and effect, thus making us more jaded (and stupid, but that's my opinion).

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I simply think you have misinterpreted what he was saying.

In essence, he is saying that living in Hurricane alley they had become blase about hurricanes - alerts every year but never too bad in terms of damage. So it leads to people saying "its never that bad, i will ride this out" - and then comes a category 5 monster that basically parks over the Bahamas for days.

One thing is for sure, any survivors will heed every warning in the future. The survivors tales coming out are truly harrowing.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
They are unpredictable to some degree..better to be prepared than not..right?

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Seriously? You think something is off? Abaco and Grand Bahama were effectively part of the ocean for 2 days - the scale of destruction is unprecendented there. There is one town of roughly 4000 people that only has 3 walls of one concrete building standing - everything else is gone. Many towns and villages simply can't be reached yet, all these days later.

Quite simply, people and authorities are completely overwhelmed by the scale of it.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Why do you think the comments do not make sense?

They make perfect sense to anyone who lives where hurricanes are a way of life.

You become jaded.

More times than not when you get an alert the storm goes in another direction.

And they did not say it came out of nowhere. He said almost like.....

The initial forecast put Puerto Rico in a questionable position. They were not under hurricane warnings they were under hurricane watches on the eastern portion of the island. Its not an easy thing to predict where a hurricane will go. You see that every time there is a major storm with life and lime in the crosshairs. The forecast changes every day as the storm moves closer to these areas.

As for warnings I am sure the tv services to the islands gave adequate warning. The storm stalled out and sat at cat 5 for 48 hours and that is why there was such devastation.

Certainly the coverage here was not on the corruption in Puerto Rico but on the storm and where and when it would impact people. Puerto Rico was mentioned along with the damage caused by Maria but it was not the focus of anyones news reporting on Dorian.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The coverage was complete and so were the warnings.
The storm stalled and sat. There was no way to prepare for that kind of fury.
Unfortunately.
and
This looks a little like news bashing again for whatever reason now...

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Yes, and telling people the storm is going to kill everyone every single time makes people unprepared.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I believe the "came out of nowhere" part has much more to do with the intensity and the fact that it just basically stopped right over them and sat there for two days, which nobody could have foreseen being the case.

I don't think it was surprise that the hurricane impacted them, but the severity and length of time it impacted them that was surprising to him, and really everyone else.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
They should be amazed any time a hurricane doesn't hit their island chains.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't think he meant it the way it sounds. I have lived in South Florida over thirty years and I have seen more than my share of hurricanes, tornado, tropical storms, and fires.

Not once has a storm been what "I" expected. It was always either milder, or much worse than I anticipated. I got blindsided by Wilma. She came through and it was bad, but not all that bad. When I went out during the eye to check the damage, I considered myself blessed and thought the worse was over. I had no warning for what I got hit with. The back side of Wilma was a nightmare. I heard the tornado travel pass my house and prayed like I have never prayed before.

When it passed me and my house was intact, including my porches, I could do nothing but fall to my knees. The destruction around my house looked like felled dominoes. The closet way I can describe it; it looked like a hand was placed over my house as protection. The trees fell around my house in a perfect circle. Nothing touched or damaged the house.

I could follow the path of the tornado's destruction past my house, past my neighbor's house across the street, again, no damage. It went to my neighbor's neighbor's house, took off the porch and left the house undamaged, then hit the neighbor's house behind them and tore the whole thing into toothpicks.

When you live threw a storm, especially a bad one, nothing seems right or normal. Some things you just will never be able to wrap your head around.

When he said it came out of nowhere. I don't think he meant the storm itself. I think he is referring to what the storm became. They were expecting a hurricane, they were not expecting that beast that held them in its grip for more than 24 hours.
edit on 9-9-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod
The only preparation that island could have taken for what happened there, was evacuation. And I doubt that they even would have been able to efficiently evacuate with the time they had, once they realized, this was not going to be your run of the mill hurricane.

This was an island were generations had experienced hurricanes of varying intensity and very amounts of damage in the past. They had no previous hurricanes of this magnitude to even compare.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Could be... I have no idea what was reported (or not) in the Bahamas... so I have no real opinion.

I do know there was much nonsense reported here. Let's hope it wasn't the case there, where valuable information could have been sacrificed for nonsense, or even the seriousness minimized by nonsense.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join