It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Super eel-the forgotten cyrptid...and its father

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Good day to all you sasquach spotters, chupacabra chasers, and oogy boogy observers

As it has already been covered in this thread but in case you haven't heard, the loch Ness Monster could very well be a monster eel.

Now when we think of sea monsters, unleash the Kraken! No one looks at the media starved Super eel, and its story.

While reports of sea serpents have dated back centuries, it started to enter the realm of cryptozoology when a Belgian zoologist named Bernard Heuvelmens, who cumulated dozens of eyewitness reports and categorised said creatures.

Here is his description from my archaic text* (a book)

Super-eel (12 sightings)

Size: 10 to 30 metres, suggesting two or more species.

Habitat: widespread in deep cold waters.

behavior:has been observed fighting sperm whales

Ok the last one sounds a little too Michael bay for me, but thanks to the work of Heuvelmens, his influence gave the field of cryptozoology a booster shot.

Now back to the Super eels-could these results of eel DNA posthumously validate Heuvelmens research and the eyewitnesses accounts? I'm going to pull out the ol' oxymoron and say yes and no.

Yes because we know just how big animals Can get in the right environment, in the Amazon (or what's left of it)
the snakes eat the crocodiles, not the other way around.

No because it suffers the same problem as Bigfoot, so many sightings, so little evidence. Finding eel DNA in water samples is not finding anything but 'there are eels in there' live specimens need to found on camera and tracked.

What do you think? Would you prefer Heuvelmens super eel or the aqautic dinosaur theory? Or do you believe it's something else...?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Could be eels, also a rogue Pyrosome could give birth to folk tales,

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

A large eel sounds fun to me.

But if we can have one, surely we can have both.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Female Conger eels just keep growing, a workmates father was a fisherman in the North sea, they said they had to cut the net and let one go as it was over thirty foot long, they also have a bark you can hear at night over a quiet sea, plus they are the only thing I have heard of that will come up the beach at you if you catch one on a line. So they are definitely a contender.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I stay of the water

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Fisherman love to tell tall tales about huge fish that got away. Lose a fish and suddenly it was three times the size of the largest ever known to exist.

International Game Fish Association on the Conger.

A nine foot Conger weighed in at 133 lb 4 oz.

The Telegraph engages in a little tall tale tomfoolery here recently.

An eel longer than some buses has been caught off the coast of Britain. The 20ft conger eel weighed 131lb (59.5kg) after it was gutted and was caught off Plymouth in Devon.

If it were 20 feet long, it would weigh in at more like 300 lbs or more. As fish get longer their weight goes up exponentially. The person who posted it to Facebook, the origin of the article I guess, used some perspective trickery to back up the "cough" fish story.

They spawn they die and everything I can find that's credible says they top out at 9 to 10 feet maximum.

edit on 9/8/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

That's what they said about , giant Octopuses.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It was Ray Harryhausen.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
According to some witnesses, Nessie has flippers. That's what gave rise to speculations about non-extinct plesiosaurs.
Eels do not have flippers.
Therefore, Nessie cannot be a giant eel.

Of course you can ignore eyewitness testimony (the very thing that created the phenomenon) and believe in an interpretation that does not match some of the reports just because (and for no better reason than) it suits your world-view, which does not have room for large cryptids that should not exist, according to science.

On the other hand, you can remain intellectually honest and dismiss this latest piece of scientific flim-flam for totally ignoring what some witnesses have reported (as so many scientists do whenever they attempt to debunk paranormal and anomalous phenomena).

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

I did not know the giant Pacific octopus was in dispute? 30 foot spread but the problem with the sea monster image is, they could not support their arms out of the water to grab anything above water. They need absolutely perfect conditions to get that big with a lifespan under 5 years. I'd not want to be grabbed by one under water though.

Here is a photo of the supposed 20 ft Conger without the perspective shot.

That giant eel WASN'T such a monster after all! New photo reveals '20ft' fish was really just 7ft all along.

the men have now revealed the image was just a trick of perspective and have released a photo showing how long the conger really is.

That how these tall tales are born.

top topics

join