It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump scraps secret meetings with Afghan, Taliban leaders after deadly bombing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   
What I see here is the that the Taliban were able to at least pretend to be able to sit down for talks before lashing out, which makes the Taliban slightly more reasonable than the Democrats lately.

As for the secret meeting thing, the President sits down to negotiate treaties and the presents them to Congress to be ratified as prescribed by the Constitution. Why the secrecy? Because there would be no pressure if talks were breaking down or it failed completely. Initial overtures towards peace are always made in private to test the water without disrupting morale within the ranks lowering the resolve to continue fighting if necessary because common grounds towards peace could not be reached at that time, but the foundation for future peace talks could be laid.

Given the US media, anything short of the Taliban envoy laying spread eagle on the tarmac after stepping off the plane would be called a failure. Who wants peace talks under that umbrella?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

I gotta work on my aim... that is not the body part that needs to be wise...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Sookiechacha

That's business as usual for the taliban.
Meeting or no meeting.

They chose to murder people.
But you can blame trump if you want to. TDS strikes again.
No kidding, no point in trying to convince these folks with extreme TDS, there is no discussion to be had with RADICALS.

Lets just be real about this.

No, Trump didn't get anyone killed, this is what we are dealing with and nothing more.

Course the leftist radicals are no different than their Taliban counterparts.

Funny. A cult 45 member who each and every day writes a post in every single thread about Trump calls other people radicals?
Rofl. Touché
Oh? The same can be said about you, the difference here is I actually ADD TO THE CONVERSATION, you? Whataboutism and meaningless drivel, good job you dolt.

Actually, according to your ridiculous logic, I guess we're all radicals because we post in EVERY SINGLE TRUMP THREAD, lol, what an absolute total Guber you are breh.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: DAVID64

Same as always......Orange Man Bad.

....Orange Man is a really Bad negotiator.

So what do you suggest for negotiation with the Taliban?

Lags

You didn't ask me, but I'm offering that he suck it up and prove The Art of the Deal has merit instead of running with his tail tucked.
Running with his tail tucked? Did you not read the source???? He tried to negotiate and they killed Americans, seriously, WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

So they died in vain then. There's no room to get to work and figure something positive out at any point, gotcha.

We've managed this with other groups before, NOW blowing people up means no talking? This should a minor matter for someone who views himself as such an esteemed negotiator.
Welcome to the warzone???

Death is inevitabe in these instances and no amount of BS spin will take away from that, their deaths were never in vain as they wore the Uniform to defend the US from all enemies foriegn and domestic.

Yes, blowing up people means "No Deal", infact, this may result in a retaliation, which will lead to more deaths.

But not you, rather, let them continue to deal, it was just a couple Americans and other dead folk, no biggie, let them walk all over us.

Ridiculous post.

And continuing to do the same damn thing over and over and over again with no change in results is the epitome is stupidity.
Did you forget? This is a new Administration.

It's not letting people walk on you when you realize you haven't accomplished anything of note in nearly 20 years. The country is still a tribal cesspit. The country will ALWAYS be a tribal cesspit. Even the Russians had enough vodka-soaked brain cells left to figure that out.

It has been a cesspool and Obama didn't bother doing anything about it, at least this Admin is really to negotiate, but when they kill Americans, NOPE, however, at the very least, they tried.

I will agree, What can you expect from a S#hole country?

Ultimately, Arnie, I can't blame any president for anything other than keeping troops there. It's an unwinnable battle, and we need to wash our hands of it, the sooner the better.

When it comes to negotiations, s# or get off the pot. Stick to your guns, or withdraw. If we're not going to stick with negotiating when they try to trip us up, we need to speed up getting out.

We're on the same exit page here, believe it or not. It's the more nuanced details we differ on, like negotiation.
I won't argue that, we do need to wash our hands of this.

The graveyard of Empires.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, Trump's idea good, anyone elses idea bad?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut
So let me get this straight, Trump's idea good, anyone elses idea bad?

Yes , you got it . Oh , Unless he Actually HAS a " BAD Idea " then , which does not Often Happen According to My Observations that is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

President Trump has held "secret" meetings with several groups and individuals. The fact that he voluntarily revealed that this one was to occur, is a mystery. If he had said nothing, we wouldn't have known about it in the first place.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Congress didnt know.
Afgani government didnt know about it. Their current govermnent was left out of this.

All sides were informed of the meetings. The WP said so 😎

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Maybe take responsibility for it.

They did that so that they could have a stronger bargining tool with trump.

He invites them for talks... the people who took down the towers and in September no less.

He is responsible for the death of those people including the service member.

You are claiming the Taliban orchestrated the 911 attacks ?

😃 🐇

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What about this, we split the country in Half, build a big wall and the Taliban can live on one side in caves and mud huts, burning homosexuals and girls who go to school.

On the other side anyone who doesnt want the Taliban.

The country and population is big enough, I cant beleive President Trump didnt think of this.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Terrorists are extremely valuable to the American government, otherwise the MIC wouldn't be able to run rampant in the ME for decades at a time. War is a business and America is the best salesman you could ask for. But yeah, let's continue pretending that the American government/military ever wanted terrorism to end in the first place. There's money to be made!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I casn't really argue with that, at least on a historical level. Remember when Russia was bogged down in Afghanistan several years back and we were supporting the "freedom fighters" who opposed them?

After Russia left, the freedom fighters started calling themselves the Taliban. Well, some did... other freedom fighters called themselves Al-Quaida and Hamas. Later on, some called themselves ISIS/ISIL/IS. It's all just different factions of the same basic group. They form and reform as needed/wanted.

Saddam Hussein was put in power by the Carter administration to help oppose Iran during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. Remember the Iran-Iraq war was in full swing during that time.

Every single Arab Spring occurred just after the country's leadership announced an intention to break from OPEC's dollar-oil peg. That includes the present Syrian conflict.

The history of the Middle East has so many twists and turns starting around 1900, I cannot make them all fit in one thread. The US, England, India, Russia and several other powers have consistently entwined their tentacles into those twists and turns. They have good reason to hate us; I will not deny that. As a matter of fact, that is the whole problem.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

So, what's the point of this thread???

To point out the absolute hypocrisy of the Trumpettes.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
While @BarackObama is slashing the military, he is also negotiating with our sworn enemy the Taliban--who facilitated 9/11.

4:14 PM - Jan 13, 2012

The U.S. cannot negotiate with terrorists. It is a sad and terrible situation for the family involved, but this can only lead to disaster.

8:44 PM - May 31, 2014

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DoubleDNH

Come on now, we all know that the only hypocrisy worth pointing out is the hypocrisy of Democrats!

Trump being a hypocrite? Yeah right, you must have TDS, there's no other explanation. Plus, saying it's TDS helps me to ignore any and all criticism of Trump, making it out to be some kind of mental disorder instead of a legitimate criticism helps me to ignore my own hypocrisy.

/sarcasm

I'm pretty sure that's how prejudice works btw, claim that any kind of thought or opinion that doesn't fit in with your own is a mental disorder. It's easier that way, it takes less thought and introspection/self-reflection. It's the same "tactic" that is used by homophobes and Islamic extremists to justify their actions, label anyone who disagrees with their ideology as having a mental disorder.

And just so I don't get mobbed for comparing Trump's supporters to terrorists: IT'S AN ANALOGY, NOT A 1-TO-1 COMPARISON. Obviously you see the point I'm trying to make with the analogy, anyone can if they're honest. I'm not calling Trump supporters terrorists who cut people's heads off. Democrats are just as guilty of the same mentality, I know. This place has few Democrats and you guys point it out enough as it is.

Thanks.

"Do as I say, not as I do!"
edit on 9/9/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

That was a great post and I agree entirely with what you said.

But I do have to comment on this;

The history of the Middle East has so many twists and turns starting around 1900, I cannot make them all fit in one thread. The US, England, India, Russia and several other powers have consistently entwined their tentacles into those twists and turns. They have good reason to hate us; I will not deny that. As a matter of fact, that is the whole problem.

That is also true, 'we' have interfered far too much in their affairs and most of it has been motivated by greed, a desire to control and an arrogant belief that 'we' know what is best.

However, it is also equally true to say that very little of that would have been possible if 'we' hadn't been able to exploit existing differences amongst the numerous tribes and religious sects and denominations.
People in the region had been slaughtering each other for centuries before 'we' ever got involved in the area.
And they will continue to do so with or without 'our' continued involvement.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

However, it is also equally true to say that very little of that would have been possible if 'we' hadn't been able to exploit existing differences amongst the numerous tribes and religious sects and denominations.
People in the region had been slaughtering each other for centuries before 'we' ever got involved in the area.
And they will continue to do so with or without 'our' continued involvement.

Of course they will! So will we. We just use different tactics now... attempts to enslave rather than openly conquer. We did the same thing the Middle Eastern countries do now a few centuries ago.

The difference is that we learned to exploit technology a bit sooner than they did. It wasn't even by a lot! Ancient Persia (what we now call Iran) gave the world Algebra while the West was still bumbling around with needing exact numbers. Algebra is the very basis for all higher math. The Taj Mahal stands still today as an example of architecture at its finest.

Greed is what made the difference. Greed for that precious oil and the things we could use it for. The original battle with Iran over the Shah was based on a simple desire of Iran to control their own oil, and our refusal to let that happen. We could have negotiated a deal way back then, but we somehow felt it was better to use trickery and force.

None of that means I excuse terrorism, nor does it mean I support Iran over the US. I don't. But I think it is important to understand where we have been to understand where we are, and maybe to finding a peaceful way out of this mess we made. Terrorism cannot exist without oppression (and I would postulate that oppression cannot exist without terrorism of some sort). We must somehow break that cycle or continue to live in a war-torn world.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Looks like,
Taliban buddies are colluding with Russia.....
www.foxnews.com...

Ohh my😆

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join