It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump scraps secret meetings with Afghan, Taliban leaders after deadly bombing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: DAVID64

Same as always......Orange Man Bad.

....Orange Man is a really Bad negotiator.

So what do you suggest for negotiation with the Taliban?

Lags

i suggest getting rid of the R.O.E. and short of nuclear weapons, we bring our FULL capabilities to bear and start putting some lead downrange.
It's like dealing with a bully. You stomp the sh** out of them and make them afraid of EVER messing with you again.

Sometimes, you have to out monster the monsters.

Will never happen, just look at the snowflakes and idiocy on this thread alone....

How do you think the public would react to us actually finishing a fight???? The media and the pussy hat wearing culture in the United States would lose it.....

. That aside. I agree, and we should have done that from the onset....

Idparing that, we need to just get the hell out, I've had too many tours and too many friends die, or otherwise be casualties of this war......

Bring our boys home and cut the losses, or turn that place into a crater.... Those are the only options.... And we know the world won't let us do the latter.....

We don't send our militsry in to win anymore..... Its not worth the loss

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Regardless of what some people seem to think, we have four and only four options in Afghanistan:
  • Blow the hell out of the entire country, leave a smoking crater, and forget they existed.
  • Walk away and hope we don't get shot in the back as soon as we turn around.
  • Negotiate a peace with them and withdraw.
  • Keep pretending we are not in a war and sending our children to die in the desert.
I reject the last option out of hand. That leaves three options: kill them all, walk out, or make peace.

If we make peace, both sides will have to want peace. Forced peace is not peace; it is conquest and rarely lasts. We offered peace and the Taliban killed 12 people, demonstrating that they don't want peace. Therefore there can be no peace at this time.

If we walk away, the Taliban will claim victory against the mighty United States and will become emboldened. Their religion preaches that they are the chosen of God. Many over there believe that means they have a right and even a duty to either subjugate or kill non-Muslims. Whether that is part of the religion or not (and I do not believe it really is) is irrelevant; it is what these particular people believe. So how long will it be before they decide to take on the United States again, this time on US soil? After all, they beat us once.

That leaves genocide, and I do not want genocide.

Trump is trying a tactic to bring about peace, the only palatable solution out of the four. He attempted a meeting with the leaders of the Taliban. Why was it in secret? For the exact reason being demonstrated here. There are so many vociferous people in this country right now who would rather the entire country go up in a nuclear firestorm than for someone to give President Trump credit for anything, that had he announced a meeting he would not have been able to negotiate had the Taliban complied with peace!

Of course, the Taliban did what they always do, what has worked for them before... they raised the ante. They killed 12 people to demonstrate to Trump that they and they alone would make the terms of any peace. Nope, sorry, not gonna fly this time around. This time, the meeting was cancelled and there will likely be more attacks on the Taliban in the next few weeks to emphasize exactly why they should want a peaceful solution.

President Trump will be lambasted for those as well.

The idea is to make the next few weeks so painful as to bring them back to the table. We offered a carrot and they spit it at us, so now it's time for the stick. The thing is that the carrot and stick would work a lot better if the people trying to destroy Trump at any cost would SHUT THE HELL UP and let the man try his way. We have little to lose if it fails, because the other alternatives are much worse.

I asked the OP at the start of this thread a simple question: since Trump is to blame for these deaths, can we blame him if I rob a store? I got no answer, and the OP seems to have decided this is too hard a game to play and abandoned their own thread. It was a rhetorical question... of course not. But it was asked in hopes of pointing out why such asinine statements are actually ensuring that there will be no peace. Why would the Taliban want to make peace with someone they believe does not speak for the nation? They are watching this exchange, you know. They have internet capability. They have access to TV. You might as well be broadcasting the message to not deal with Trump over a loudspeaker in every corner of Afghanistan.

I am literally at the point of just throwing up my hands and joining the chorus of "Just walk away." Why? Because as it stands now, the US simply cannot win a fight, any fight, because it is too busy fighting itself. Maybe it will take an armed invasion, with corpses lining the streets, some of them the husbands, wives, children, or parents of those who have instigated this, to get people to realize what it is they are doing. Nothing else, not reason, not shaming, not begging, not cajoling, has worked.

Donald J. Trump is the President of the United States. People better get over that fact before things get very, very bad.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

The only thing I get from your thread is you are thrilled that peace talks failed. You care more about partisan garbage and keeping the hate going than you do about ending the conflict and getting our people the heck out of there.

That is truly sad. That level of partisan hate enters the realm of fanaticism.

Let me turn this around on you. Had Obama done the exact same thing and I mean exactly the same thing, would you be posting a thread condemning him in exactly the same way? If not you have some inner soul searching to do.

Blaming a Taliban attack on anyone but the Taliban is so far out there as to be almost clinically irrational is it not? Be honest here? If Obama did it, you would be here praising him as a hero and blaming the Taliban, right?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
When did we start negotiating with terrorists anyways? Why would we not automatically arrest them as soon as the supposed secret meeting took place? And why in the hell would we waste a perfect opportunity to have them put in Gitmo for their crimes?

The reality TV nature of politics continues.
edit on 9/8/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Since Reagan, to be precise. One might say you have the wrong people in Gitmo.

Agreed on the reality TV part tho, what a farce...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
When did we start negotiating with terrorists anyways?

Probably when Obama gave billions to Iran. But honestly?

We've always done so, as far back as the Barbary Pirates.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

So in other words the status quo continues. Par for the course with the American government.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
post Deux
edit on 8-9-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

We don’t live in a dictatorship (yet) because Warren isn’t in office so we have to deal with congress as well.
edit on 8-9-2019 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

When did we start negotiating with terrorists anyways? Why would we not automatically arrest them as soon as the supposed secret meeting took place? And why in the hell would we waste a perfect opportunity to have them put in Gitmo for their crimes?

One might come to the conclusion those terrorists are a needed entity in the on going battle for hearts and minds.

If there's no terrorists there's no need for young men to go to war to fight them.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: DAVID64

Same as always......Orange Man Bad.

....Orange Man is a really Bad negotiator.

So what do you suggest for negotiation with the Taliban?

Lags

i suggest getting rid of the R.O.E. and short of nuclear weapons, we bring our FULL capabilities to bear and start putting some lead downrange.
It's like dealing with a bully. You stomp the sh** out of them and make them afraid of EVER messing with you again.

Sometimes, you have to out monster the monsters.

Will never happen, just look at the snowflakes and idiocy on this thread alone....

How do you think the public would react to us actually finishing a fight???? The media and the pussy hat wearing culture in the United States would lose it.....

. That aside. I agree, and we should have done that from the onset....

Idparing that, we need to just get the hell out, I've had too many tours and too many friends die, or otherwise be casualties of this war......

Bring our boys home and cut the losses, or turn that place into a crater.... Those are the only options.... And we know the world won't let us do the latter.....

We don't send our militsry in to win anymore..... Its not worth the loss

We could have pulled a Pershing from the onset. But the pussy hate culture would have been offended that we cut the monsters off from their 72 virgins, and say that we should continue to let them rape murder and pillage...just in not so many words.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

One might come to the conclusion those terrorists are a needed entity in the on going battle for hearts and minds.

If there's no terrorists there's no need for young men to go to war to fight them.

Nah, we have communism to contend with. That's enough. The ME has been a centuries long issue that's finally spilled over. The fundamental extremists believe they are fighting to usher in the arrival of the Mahdi, and we're treating it like any other geopolitical conflict.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
IMO we were wrong to go into Iraq, but right to hit Afghanistan. Where we went wrong is when we did not go in, wreak holy terror on the Taliban, Al-Qaeda and the country willingly hosting them and then get the hell out. Let the chips fall where they may after that and if they reared their ugly heads again, carpet bomb them. Make it clear that bunch of insane fanatics need to steer clear of anything connected to the US.

War is not a diplomatic process. You go to war you should be willing to level everything or not be there. Wipe them off the map without a single casualty on our side or do not do it. Our might and capabilities are not a deterrent if the world thinks we will not use it to full effect.

Doing that right up front would IMO have saved more lives in the long run than it cost. It would have also made it clear to that region to keep to their own borders or get ready to be flattened again.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Meanwhile ........Ex Governor and Congressman " Joe Blow " Sandford (R) , Who's Son is Now Running his Campaign , has just Announced his Bid for the 2020 Republican Party Nomination for President Of The United States . Who has a Better Chance of Defeating President Trump in 2020 , The Eventual Dem " Loser " Pick , or this Distinguished Gentleman ? People Wanna Know Sill ! .................

edit on 8-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

He is responsible for the death of those people including the service member.

Buhahahahahahahhhhahahaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Whatta bombastic bowl of bullshlt!

You are insane with hate lady. How pitiful! phfff!

Benghazi?
edit on 8-9-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Why do I get the impression you all would be fine if the world burned so long as it gets Trump in the process...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I Agree with you Wholeheartedly there Brain . Am I on LDS 25 Right Now , or Just NORMAL in Saying that ? Hmm.....Stay Tuned.............)
edit on 8-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Why do I get the impression you all would be fine if the world burned so long as it gets Trump in the process...

Hmm... Now that's Just SILLY ...................)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe because we wouldn't have all of the Taliban there. We would have a handful of leaders, just enough to outrage the rest and drive them to perform another 911 or worse. Plus the fact that we promised them we wouldn't. We break that promise and there is no more option for peace, ever. There are only the first two options in my post above.

You are literally calling for genocide.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

The " Redneck " Speaks Truth there Kemosabe. .............It is Wise to Follow the Teachings of a Wise Ass Man .............)

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join