It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump scraps secret meetings with Afghan, Taliban leaders after deadly bombing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   

President Trump announced Saturday that he had canceled planned secret meetings at Camp David with Taliban and Afghan leaders after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a car bombing that killed a U.S. soldier, a Romanian soldier, and 10 civilians in Kabul earlier this week. "Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday," Trump tweeted. "They were coming to the United States tonight.

They cancelled the meeting when trump learned they were responsible for a suicide bombing that killed a US serviceman.

Really?

Did this guy not criticize Obama for something similar except he didnt actually schedule a secret meeting.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
My only comment is about the “how many more decades are they willing to fight?” line.

All of them. They are willing to fight every decade, ever. Until our leadership grasps that notion, it’ll just be more of the same.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

President Trump announced Saturday that he had canceled planned secret meetings at Camp David with Taliban and Afghan leaders after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a car bombing that killed a U.S. soldier, a Romanian soldier, and 10 civilians in Kabul earlier this week. "Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday," Trump tweeted. "They were coming to the United States tonight.

They cancelled the meeting when trump learned they were responsible for a suicide bombing that killed a US serviceman.

Really?

Did this guy not criticize Obama for something similar except he didnt actually schedule a secret meeting.
www.foxnews.com...[ /quote]

Yes. The pot calling the kettle black. Well, orange........

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Really?

Yes. The pot calling the kettle black. Well, orange........LOL!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I'm curious as to who Trump thought they were? They've been bombing and killing Americans for years, so it's strange to throw off peace talks with a terrorist organization for acting like a terrorist organization.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Like the taliban would ever compromise anything for peace...lol
They were just coming here for a free dinner.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Really?

So tell us, what would you have done under the same circumstances Silly?

Lags
edit on 8-9-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Crap editing

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Maybe take responsibility for it.

They did that so that they could have a stronger bargining tool with trump.

He invites them for talks... the people who took down the towers and in September no less.

He is responsible for the death of those people including the service member.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

He invites them for talks... the people who took down the towers and in September no less.

How would you take responsibility? (You say maybe!)

Do you have any concrete evidence that your president is responsible?

Lags
edit on 8-9-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I am curious why trump never thinks these things through to start with.

Oh get a wild hair idea lets act on it. And do not under any circumstances ask anyone for advice.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

You blame trump for the taliban bombing?

Then you must blame Clinton for 911.
He could have killed bin laden in 1998...
3000 deaths on slick willy's head..

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Congress didnt know.
Afgani government didnt know about it. Their current govermnent was left out of this.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Let me get this straight:

Trump tries to quietly establish peace talks, probably to prevent a national uproar.

The Taliban kills 12 people.

You blame Trump for killing those 12 people.

Tell me, if I rob a store can we blame Trump for that too?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Yes. Trump tweeted about it.

He said in his tweet that they thought this would give them more bargining power.
This action was taken due to the meeting trump was secretly arranging.

So yeah

I have proof he is responsible and that he even knows it.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yes.
He called the meeting.
They bombed to be stronger in negotiations.
He knows what he did.
He knows why they did it.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
These people obviously remember when the White House used to capitulate with terrorist and pay huge ransoms for false security. Maybe the person responsible for that should apologize

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

What you're saying is that if trump hadn't tried to have a negotiation to come to a peaceful agreement and just ignored the terrorist group that was killing people then the terrorist group wouldn't have killed people.....

The TDS is strong with you.

I only beat on my wife when she deserves it,,,
She made me do it...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Yeah he tried to do this without advice. Without telling congress. Parts of the Afghan government didn't know about it.

The deal once final would begin a U.S. troop withdrawal with the first 5,000 leaving within 135 days, Khalilzad announced on Monday. That would leave 8,600 troops who train and support Afghan forces after their combat role ended in 2014. In return, the Taliban would guarantee that Afghanistan would not be a launching pad for global terror attacks by groups including a local affiliate of the Islamic State organization and the remains of al-Qaida.

But problems quickly emerged. Even as Khalilzad explained the deal to the Afghan people during a nationally televised interview, the Taliban detonated a car bomb targeting a foreign compound in Kabul. Ghani’s office then raised loud objections, agreeing with several former U.S. ambassadors who warned that a hasty U.S. withdrawal without Taliban guarantees on ending violence could lead to “total civil war.” Far from guaranteeing a ceasefire, the deal includes only a reduction in violence in Kabul and neighboring Parwan province, where the U.S. has a military base.

You can't blame Obama for the rise of Al Qaeda but sit there and say that trump doing the same thing is the best idea since sliced bread.

But that wont stop this crowd from trying

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So, what's the point of this thread???

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Secret meeting you say? I was never aware of any secret meeting... oh.

Faux pas aside, Trump has made an effort to engage in diplomatic solutions, it will never happen, these Taliban won't change their spots, no matter how many olive branches Trump offers.

This secret cum not so secret meeting proves that those terrorist tusken raiders have the 'friends today, enemies tomorrow' policy, noboby will convince them to change their ways, no matter what leader or diplomat.

You did what you could prez, talking to brick walls would make for better diplomacy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join