It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Commercials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I could go into this in depth and with much relish, but I won't. I won't get into the mind control or the propaganda or the psychological tricks that are used,

No, this is not sweeping condemnation of our economic system and how it controls the populace of the nation with advertising utilizing the latest and most up to date discoveries into the mental make up of the the human species.

No, not a critique of the sweeping visual extravaganzas or the use of popular musical themes to entice our attention.

Not an indightment of how celebrities are used to get us to trust what is being presented as if we are being entertained.

No, not an expose of the history of social controls and product sales, all of this should by now be known at least to some degree by all of us.

No.. this rant is much much simpler and superficial.......

32, yes, THIRTY TWO commercials were counted by my wife and me in between two segments of the Jimmy Fallon show.

THIRTY TWO.

I mean, what is that???????

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've been noticing this for a while now.

We can't get real quality shows anymore. Because they don't have the time. Too much time is slotted for commercials.
I can remember back in the 80's, when some class mates actually timed the commercials during an hour long show. It was 14 minutes of that hour. So it was bad, even back then.
I believe it is over 20 minutes now.

It sucks

edit on 7-9-2019 by chiefsmom because: hit enter too soon.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Kill your tv.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Get a DVR and never watch any commercials again!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
I could go into this in depth and with much relish, but I won't. I won't get into the mind control or the propaganda or the psychological tricks that are used,

No, this is not sweeping condemnation of our economic system and how it controls the populace of the nation with advertising utilizing the latest and most up to date discoveries into the mental make up of the the human species.

No, not a critique of the sweeping visual extravaganzas or the use of popular musical themes to entice our attention.

Not an indightment of how celebrities are used to get us to trust what is being presented as if we are being entertained.

No, not an expose of the history of social controls and product sales, all of this should by now be known at least to some degree by all of us.

No.. this rant is much much simpler and superficial.......

32, yes, THIRTY TWO commercials were counted by my wife and me in between two segments of the Jimmy Fallon show.

THIRTY TWO.

I mean, what is that???????

Why do you even have cable tv? i don't get it, it's like subscribing to some annoying person so they come to your house every day and ring the door bell 10 times every 15 minutes every time you are home lmao
edit on 7-9-2019 by BoneSay because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Commercials account for 32% of the time during top rated, first-run primetime shows.

In the 1980s the average was 20%.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Being a Boomer, I had been raised on ''free tv''. It as free, we were told because it was paid for by companies that wanted us to know about their product. Nice we thought. Free tv and all we have to do is sit through these pleasant at times commercials.

Simple economics. We were the consumers and the tv brought the product and it's manufacturer to us and from there it was all up to us, choose what to buy, when to buy it and who to buy it from.

But then I realized that I had it backwards. The companies that advertised were the consumer, not us, and we were the product, brought to the companies to wipe our minds as clean as they could and replace them with non-thinking, pattern following, Pavlovian automatic responses.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I would call it harassment!. I don't watch a ton of TV, mainly sports and local news but, i'ts bad..very bad!

I always have the remote in hand to mute the commercials.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It's the insurance and pharma commercials that grind my gears.

Hey, remember about 10 years ago when the commercials were twice as loud as the show.....and then something, something -congress -obama made a law where the commercials weren't louder than the shows?

I watch A LOT of tv.
Sometimes I wanna pull my hair out......through my face!

Movie channels help because of the lack of commercials.

All of these satellites and no pirate tv ?
Anywhere???
I watched the movie "UHF" the other night and had a good time.

I yell at my tv a lot.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Some ATS features will be unavailable until you turn off your ad blocker

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Kill your tv.

Blasphemy. We need them to remind us of the banality of existence.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Being a Boomer, I had been raised on ''free tv''. It as free, we were told because it was paid for by companies that wanted us to know about their product. Nice we thought. Free tv and all we have to do is sit through these pleasant at times commercials.

Simple economics. We were the consumers and the tv brought the product and it's manufacturer to us and from there it was all up to us, choose what to buy, when to buy it and who to buy it from.

But then I realized that I had it backwards. The companies that advertised were the consumer, not us, and we were the product, brought to the companies to wipe our minds as clean as they could and replace them with non-thinking, pattern following, Pavlovian automatic responses.

I gave up Foxtel (satellite tv) here, which I paid for, when I was getting adverts in between shows. They told us advertising paid for the free terrestrial tv we used to get, thus, it is important.. so we obeyed.

But when I'm paying for content, for me to still sit through adverts was an obnoxious thing.

Much as I pay for the internet.. Not just to connect to it, but to peruse it as I want... hence, I detest sites laden with advertising that does not care about the content I am trying to review.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
Some ATS features will be unavailable until you turn off your ad blocker

Bad squirrel?

Imagine if TV did that... you walk out of the room when an advert comes on, return to see "You didn't watch the advertisement. Your scheduled programming will cease till you watch these 12 adverts."

I'm sure I've seen that in a Black Mirror, except they would take creds from his account till he watched them...

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

WOW, And I thought I went dark. That's DARK with a capital ARCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Hehe, I'm sure if they could, or if it is a creeping introduction, it would be done.

First we finally are given a concept that makes us think not of the ill intent behind the evil and secretive cameras and microphones hidden within the television, but instead told of some use that enthrals us entirely, and we seek the newest device with this feature with enthusiasm. After all, we have to own the biggest things. And it works, and in time, we don't even think about the cameras and microphones in our televisions. We even come to rely on them.

Then an addition to the feature, interactive something or another. We complain a little, but not much, about it, but eventually in time, we don't even think about the new feature that we had complained about, even if just a little. It's now part of everyday life. Much like the digital watch once was.

Eventually, the cameras and microphones in our televisions not only watch and listen to us, but direct us, you know, towards a better lifestyle, a happier one. A more fulfilled one... A healthier one. And the interactive something or another now controls us. And we happily accept it controlling us, but with that one caveat... we must watch the advertisements....

edit on 8-9-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

You watching too much TV.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Eventually, the cameras and microphones in our televisions not only watch and listen to us, but direct us, you know, towards a better lifestyle, a happier one. A more fulfilled one... A healthier one. And the interactive something or another now controls us. And we happily accept it controlling us, but with that one caveat... we must watch the advertisements....

(What follows is likely a stream of consciousness diatribe that may or may not make much sense. Your depth of realization above forced me to dig into my own murky oft times unconsidered connections to which I have come up with these speculations. Feel free to just ignore them or pick out anything that strikes you to reply.)

I would like to expand on this if you will. This notion of ''directing us'' to a better lifestyle, a happier one, a more healthy and fulfilled one. Now that doesn't sound so bad right? Isn't this what we should be doing with our children? Directing them to a better life, and even a better life then we had ourselves? Yeah, that's a good thing.

Extrapolating from this specific example of nurturing of parents and children is the liberal(real liberal, not false liberals of today) notion that society should act as an extended parent younger generations and make those urges towards all of those things above. Well, that's not so bad either, a society that nurtures it's citizens rather than alienating them and forcing them into lives that do not suit them. Of course this is conjecture on my part but I'm trying to get to another point.

The real problem here is just who is in charge of the nurturing in this society once we have gone beyond our parents care?
In past times it was the tribe, it was the village, the town. The elders of the town or tribe guided everyone. But now, who are our elders. We no longer live in isolated tribes or towns, we live in an interconnected world with choices of who and what to pay attention to, what music to listen to what videos to watch. It's crazy, I'm still headed back to your quote above.

You veered closely to a very dystopian vision there with the electronic mother preaching and caring for us all via our electronic instruments. And that womb of nurturing is getting more and more smothering. Aren't we headed for VR and total immersion into that world of all thought and all appreciation and all concerns being fed to us via our implants and micro chips? We are not there YET but even so, much of our populations are already floating down the river without a critical paddle to cut their own courses with.

And that's the thing. Just who is it that is in charge of this future. Will it be us or will it be those few who have the connections and the money to pull it off, to take the final control of society.

You see, I"m a globalist, just not the globalist that we seem to hate so much. The kind of globalist I am is that it is inevitable, that the development of our species has brought us to a point where all of this interconnections is forcing us into a one world civilization. Like it or not, that is what is happening. I don't embrace it but rather I see that this is what is happening.

To me the only real question is, who will rule in this one world, will it be the the people, or will it be them, those few who would control us to their ends and not our own. So, rather than fighting against this one world, we should be organizing ourselves in a manner that it will be us, all the us's around the world who control our own destinies instead of those few.

I know that even as this might sound a tough road, to me it is the only real option that we have. Isolationism will fail. And letting those few run things will fail as well, because to them we are only valuable as long as we watch their tv programs and feed their pocketbooks by working for them and then giving it back to them to get their products. When they no longer need us to fuel their game of giving us work for pay then taking it back for product, they will drop us. When the expensive machines they are building can take over the production of goods completely, we will be dropped from their equation.

Edit. Oh, if you have made it this far, here is a song I used to listen to back in 81

Here is the final stanza

So hold me, Mom, in your long arms. So hold me,
Mom, in your long arms.
In your automatic arms. Your electronic arms.
In your arms.
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms.
Your petrochemical arms. Your military arms.
In your electronic arms.
Source: LyricFind

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You are watching Jimmy Fallon and complain about the commercials being annoying?

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAbove

Is that ALL you got from that post? Could you not see that that one example was merely one example of the overarching blitz that the tv pushes on most of our society?

But yes, I like Fallon. I didn't at first, I just didn't understand his humor or other artists he has on. His constant flattering of his guests. But I get him now. It's not that he is not funny, it's that he is funny to another, younger generation. As a child of SNL I have also noticed this trend. Much of it is not funny to me, but to younger people it is. That is the target audience, not older people like me.

From this understanding I have come to realize that what I used to find funny was not superior to other funny things but rather was just, like today, geared to my generation. So now, I don't judge so much seeing how my past tastes were also just targeted bits to gain my attention. It's all fodder and I understand that. Fallon is wonderful if understood as a generational host. He is very creative and skilled in his work.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Is that ALL you got from that post?

It was confirmation of my previously formed opinion.

Is that ALL you got from that post? Could you not see that that one example was merely one example of the overarching blitz that the tv pushes on most of our society?

Most people who get this stoppped watching.

Fallon is wonderful if understood as a generational host.

Lol

He is very creative and skilled in his work.

No he is not he is a little parasite.

edit on 8-9-2019 by TheAbove because: (no reason given)

<<   2 >>

join