It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Express Your Individuality, Be You, and Buy Buy Buy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

I think because you are middle-aged and I am a senior we forget youth's folly in following fashion and appearance trends. Quite simply, not only can it be fun to experiment with different looks but peer pressure at a young age is quite a driving force.

Recently, I started buying artist's handmade clothing. One blouse I bought had large artistically painted grey flowers with uneven hems and dangling strings with round carved wood circles. When I was heading to the parking lot after work a co-worker came running after me to tell me my blouse's hem had come loose. I told her it was suppose to look like that because it was an art piece. She just blinked and said nothing. Non-conformity breeds speechlessness, I guess.

edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago00590930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19CDT09America/Chicago00590930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: okrian

Also interesting because before the 60s, there was much more strict societal standards and norms that were adhered to. What you wore to work, what you wore out on the town, when traveling, how we treated and spoke to each other, our homes/decor/haircuts… it was oddly more uniform (and this uniformity during more conservative eras… which also is very 'we are all equal', i.e. a leftist mantra).

There is nothing pre-60's that was uniform or equal to me. I get what you are saying but I just don't think it is accurate.
Just go back to the Victorian architecture/decor, no two houses looked the same. I'd actually say the cookie cutter houses of the 90's were more uniform.

I love architecture and home decor. One thing that amazes me is how everyone put their own spin on houses back then (pre-1960). They didn't have the influence of the internet, they relied on catalogs, newspapers and visiting friends and family. Many things were handmade, custom or passed down. I think things were very much more unique. Clothing was often hand crafted. Sure there were "styles" back then, but that is the case for any generation.

If you follow fashion, you can easily see how fashion trends changed. It is all because someone wanted to be different, or individual.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I think because you are middle-aged and I am a senior we forget youth's folly in following fashion and appearance trends. Quite simply, not only can it be fun to experiment with different looks but peer pressure at a young age is quite a driving force.

I think you are right.

Recently, I started buying artist's handmade clothing. One blouse I bought had large artistically painted grey flowers with uneven hems and dangling strings with round carved wood circles. When I was heading to the parking lot after work a co-worker came running after me to tell me my blouse's hem had come loose. I told her it was suppose to look like that because it was an art piece. She just blinked and said nothing. Non-conformity breeds speechlessness, I guess.

Had a good laugh at this! I definitely agree with the italicized.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Another time, when I was 19 years old, I bought a raven black wig (my hair colour was a reddish blond) just because I was bored of my look and didn't want to die my hair.

I recall one time I went to my watering hole and stood at the bar to see which regular would try to pick me up and sure enough one of the regulars that I knew well and he knew me well too tried his best lines on me. When I told him who I was he was not amused. lol

Another time, I made a first date with a guy and told him to meet me at my watering hole. So I put on the black wig and went looking for him to see if I could pick him up. He was looking around diligently for me and I approached him and gave him my best lines. To my delight he basically told me to 'get lost'. When I told him who I was, he was not amused and asked me to take the wig off. lol

I had a lot of fun with that wig.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

I’m not sure being pushed toward MORE makeup is progress, that any amount of makeup will suddenly allow people to truly be themselves and free, that humanity is moving toward a more deeper understanding of the self. I’d venture that it might be better for an individual to put more time and effort into learning new things and into the community/each other than worrying themselves over a slew of beauty products. Our passions and our engagement is what makes us truly beautiful.

Well said!

The Dialectics of Enlightenment came to mind again:

“Today the order of life allows no room for the ego to draw spiritual or intellectual conclusions. The thought which leads to knowledge is neutralized and used as a mere qualification on specific labor markets and to heighten the commodity value of the personality.”
[...]
“The triumph of advertising in the culture industry is that consumers feel compelled to buy and use its products even though they see through them.”

edit on 19-9-2019 by PublicOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

The Dialectics of Enlightenment came to mind again:

“Today the order of life allows no room for the ego to draw spiritual or intellectual conclusions. The thought which leads to knowledge is neutralized and used as a mere qualification on specific labor markets and to heighten the commodity value of the personality.”
[...]
“The triumph of advertising in the culture industry is that consumers feel compelled to buy and use its products even though they see through them.”

I will have to read the text you linked. That quoted material is very thought provoking-- that second one I'd agree is sad but true. Definitely worth giving this some thought.

Thanks for the contribution!

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

I have too much stuff and am trying to make better decisions on how I spend my money. I'm usually a good shopper and can get things amazingly cheap. Maybe that's why I have too much stuff. LOL

That purse sounds cool!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join