It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Formula 3 Driver Alex Peroni Spectacular accident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
If it were a video game you'd blame bad game physics but this is real life motor racing and a lucky escape from a massive accident for Alex Peroni , it's also the most spectacular piece of parking I've ever seen.

I make light of it but it is an horrific accident which thankfully Peroni walked away from , questions need to be asked of the placing of the whatever it was that launched his car on a run off area.
edit on 7-9-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

There is debris all over the track visible. Possibly from an earlier crash. My first thought was it is a CW panel from a nother F3 car but it looks too big.

They should have put out the yellow flag /safety car and clean the mess up. It is hard enough to cope with one terrain change, do not need a nother obstacle to be in my way while the car has almost zero grip, nearly touches the ground and had weight shift shortly before all that (the curve).

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The sign behind the car when it landed is a perfect sign for not drinking and driving.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
a reply to: gortex

There is debris all over the track visible. Possibly from an earlier crash. My first thought was it is a CW panel from a nother F3 car but it looks too big.

They should have put out the yellow flag /safety car and clean the mess up. It is hard enough to cope with one terrain change, do not need a nother obstacle to be in my way while the car has almost zero grip, nearly touches the ground and had weight shift shortly before all that (the curve).

It is a speed bump called a "Sausage Kerb." It is there to slow down cars and keep them from taking outside lines. However, the Formula cars a so low to the ground, it acted a ramp and essentially launched the car into the air.
edit on 7-9-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated
I´ve never seen such curbs on tracks yet so these are new to me.

I know about how flat they go. I ran times on the Nuremburgring and got to sit in one once.

My uncle once was launched into the air with a Porsche GT, suspension failed in a bump and launched his car right into the air doing above 200kmh.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I know about how flat they go. I ran times on the Nuremburgring and got to sit in one once.

My uncle once was launched into the air with a Porsche GT, suspension failed in a bump and launched his car right into the air doing above 200kmh.

Sausage Kerbs

Apparently relatively new to Formula racing, but been around awhile.vvThe objective of them is to discourage drivers from running wide. This was as they looked to reduce the number of collisions into barriers and potential damage to cars going off road.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Okay this might be the reason. I need to watch out for those the next time I go driving, but then the F-track is not in use anymore for F-races except test drives maybe.

But it is a reaction to a situation the drivers are to be made responsible for, I acknowledge this. Seems too damn dangerous and sounds counter productive to me if I am forced to stay on track or else...

I mean, this is what the run out space is for. Go check Nuremburgring, there are no run out spaces, or not much on the hill track, so I hope they will leave it alone with those curbs.

I rather have at least a bit of control until I fold into the plancks instead of driving through one of these and be like "okay, go where you want, IDK". But that is my opinion and my not be valid for formular cars. I only drive a R33 GTR.

edit on 7-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: had to rotate a sentence because it was quiet the different meaning I intended it to express

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Sausage Kerbs

Apparently relatively new to Formula racing, but been around awhile.vvThe objective of them is to discourage drivers from running wide. This was as they looked to reduce the number of collisions into barriers and potential damage to cars going off road.

Great, so now, instead of colliding with a barrier or damaging the car, they instead launch the car into the air and let it hurl itself into a barrier destroying the car and practically killing the driver.

Makes sense to me! Sounds like a good plan, let's go with it!

Not!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It was a mixture of many factors.

Imagine the downforce created by the aerodynamic parts already push the car into the suspension. As soon as you leave the tarmac you car not only starts digging in while you are still fast, the suspension now has a bit give and that makes it even worse.

Combined with the already low setup and the CW panel on the bottom of the car, those little blades acted like a kicker/ramp.

But still I agree. As long as they can have such effects, put more gravel there and ditch out huge time penalties for everyone who thinks he can go beyond the limit of the track.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Really! Maybe they should just put some spike strips and machine gun towers out.

Or, better yet, just line the edge of the track with landmines.

Post signs...

"STAY ON THE TRACK...OR WE'LL BLOW YOUR ASS TO 'KINGDOM.COM'!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Oh I get it, believe me. I actually erased part of my first response saying exactly that...the car got some air under it and lost the aerodynamics of its down-force.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Really! Maybe they should just put some spike strips and machine gun towers out.

Or, better yet, just line the edge of the track with landmines.

Post signs...

"STAY ON THE TRACK...OR WE'LL BLOW YOUR ASS TO 'KINGDOM.COM'!!!

It probably works well as a safety mechanism for most cars but the low ride height & down force, speed and fragility of Formula cars probably wasnt considered.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   
And the air got under it because of the kicker sending the nose up. All in all the reasons is, the car leaving the track in the first place.

edit on 7-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

So why not do it in style, right?

I'd say they upped the style points by at least an order of magnitude for F3 cars with that addition, wouldn't you? I'd give him a 10.
edit on 9/7/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

join