It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Scraps Obama-Era Rules For Energy Efficient Bulbs

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Now maybe i can get bulbs for my refrigerator and microwave as no one makes led bulbs for use in them.

I have done my part as ALL the lighting in my motorhome is led 12 volt lights

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Who exactly decides that these are "energy efficient", give it a few years, and i bet there will be tests done showing that they are the opposite of that.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: TGunner

Oh Yeah , the New Bulbs are Great if you don't Mind getting Mercury Poisoning when they Break .........................

You’re talking about CFL bulbs only (those “curly-q” bulbs). LED lightbulbs are different and don’t contain mercury.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: word4

Who exactly decides that these are "energy efficient", give it a few years, and i bet there will be tests done showing that they are the opposite of that.

Ummm...

Same output for less energy. Last I checked, that was the definition of energy efficiency. So... reality?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Ummm...

Same output for less energy. Last I checked, that was the definition of energy efficiency. So... reality?

TheRedneck

They do use far fewer watts than an incandescent bulb (up to 80% fewer watts), but you also need to figure in the energy and raw materials needed to MAKE an LED bulb over a regular incandescent. However, and having said that, the extra long life, on average, of and LED over incandescent more than makes up for the additional resources needed to make an LED bulb.

So even with the extra energy needed to make them, the fact that (as you mentioned) they use a lot less wattage to give off the same amount of light, LED bulbs are still much more energy efficient than Incandescent bulbs.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Yes I have these as so called "ceiling flooders", they are integrated into the ceiling. Two of them, literally flood the whole staircase with light. They are as big as the ones in your photo. To old ones with the round head were the useless ones. These new ones are good.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I think the light bulbs in the microwave take as much power as one of the 2.5W LED flooders and the difference is day and night

Simple observations will tell you once you see them.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

a reply to: TGunner

Oh Yeah , the New Bulbs are Great if you don't Mind getting Mercury Poisoning when they Break .........................

LED light bulbs do not have mercury.

Did I Say LED Light Bulbs Little Boy ? No , so ............

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: word4

No, it's actually pretty easy to determine that they are more efficient.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Did I Say LED Light Bulbs Little Boy ? No , so ............

Did I say you said LED light bulbs, rude person?

No, I only said that LED light bulbs do not have mercury, so...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Also, the same companies who manufactured the majority of incandescent bulbs are still major players in the LED bulbs (and typically make the better quality bulbs).

Who are you referring to as most of the legacy companies don't manufacture anything and it's mostly third party?

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The three I think of immediately are GE, Philips, and Sylvania. Not completely sure about Philips and Sylvania, but GE does indeed manufacture their own bulbs. They recently closed the last plant in the USA to move their manufacturing to China over cost concerns.

I am pretty sure Philips and Sylvania manufacture their own as well, I just am not 100% sure.

Maybe you were thinking of retailers?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I don’t know if they manufacture their own, but Phillips smart bulbs are the best on the market.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
@ Phage

Amazing that in that video Trump totally missed mentioning what oil spills do to birds, fish and other wildlife not to mention polluting water systems...I could go on...but that's not the issue, right?

LEDs use significantly less energy than even CFLs, and do NOT contain mercury.

Ogunseitan adds that while breaking open a single LED and breathing in its fumes wouldn’t likely cause cancer, our bodies hardly need more toxic substances floating around, as the combined effects could be a disease trigger. If any LEDs break at home, Ogunseitan recommends sweeping them up while wearing gloves and a mask, and disposing of the debris — and even the broom — as hazardous waste.

www.scientificamerican.com...
edit on 19CDT08America/Chicago04780830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Engineers usually do the right thing, its the business/obsolescence decision making process that says; "no can't have good toys....let them keep coming back to buy more"

psmag.com...

There is a light bulb in a fire station in Livermore, California, that has been burning since 1901. It was manufactured in the late 1890s. And, yes, there is a BulbCam.

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I think they do. Philips has historically had very good quality control.

If memory serves, the bulk of my bulbs are Philips. I replaced a few with cheaper off brands, then found a promotional sale one day at Home depot on Philips bulbs and got the rest. They''re just LED bulbs, not "smart bulbs," but I'm happy with them.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I'll point out again that the only purpose of the globe on LED bulbs is at best to hold a phosphorescent layer to soften the light, just like incandescent bulbs do. Other than that it is cosmetic and the bulbs will work just fine without the globes. There is nothing but air inside them... no vacuum, no exotic chemicals, just air. The article you just linked is literally claiming that air causes cancer.

I have already discredited it earlier in the thread.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight

I'll point out again that the only purpose of the globe on LED bulbs is at best to hold a phosphorescent layer to soften the light, just like incandescent bulbs do. Other than that it is cosmetic and the bulbs will work just fine without the globes. There is nothing but air inside them... no vacuum, no exotic chemicals, just air. The article you just linked is literally claiming that air causes cancer.

I have already discredited it earlier in the thread.

TheRedneck

Yes, it's bullshavings! maybe they are confused, sounds like the article is describing CFL

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

CFLs would be my guess. They do contain the exotic chemicals, including mercury.

A "scientific" article should at least understand the difference.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

A "scientific" article should at least understand the difference.

You would sure think/hope!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join