It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Scraps Obama-Era Rules For Energy Efficient Bulbs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   

A new rule was issued on Wednesday reversing a requirement, enacted during Barack Obama’s presidency, for all new light bulbs to be energy-efficient by 2020.

The Energy Department said that the rule change “will ensure that the choice of how to light homes and businesses is left to the American people, not the federal government”

The move, welcomed by industry has been strongly criticized by climate change groups. The move is also in line with Donald Trumps 2012 warnings about the dangers of so called “environmentally friendly” light bulbs.

Trump Scraps Obama-Era Rules For Energy Efficient Bulbs

I'm really kinda happy about this, I never liked the new bulbs. I bought 10 boxes of Incandescent lights a few years ago so i wouldn't run out of them so, good decision on his part.

Remember, new "environment friendly" light bulbs can cause cancer. Be careful-- the idiots who came up with this stuff don't care. Donald J. Trump 2012

edit on 7-9-2019 by TGunner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Posted already
My reply again:
To enlighten on the subject.
This was not Obama's doings.
George Bush Jr. signed this bill to go into effect just after Obama took office.
Which makes me think of an old movie title - "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels"
Now , could Barry have done something about it ?
Sure.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by MisterSpock removed for a manners violation)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Engineers need to design an efficient filament and whaaaalaaa 😎

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:54 AM
link   
im ok with this. leds do use an enormous amount of materials in comparison. while led's are marketed as having an incredible service life the power supply that drive most led's do not. personally i think ive changed out my led bulbs just as often if not more then incandescents since ive switched over. it is nice being able to knock a lamp over on accident and not have the bulb instantly burn out though. the monetary cost over the years has been extraordinary in comparison to the old incandescent bulbs. ive easily spent $1K on led's which would be a lifetime supply of incandescents not counting the energy costs. in the end i believe it should be a choice the consumer makes. personally id rather dump abit more carbon emissions into the air rather then the various toxic materials led's create, if its about environmental impact. if its about quality of light u cant beat a full spectrum led with voltage control.
edit on 7-9-2019 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I support lighting freedom.

Everyone knows that LED light is sterile and soul sucking.

edit on 2019/9/7 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
An un-regulated Light Bulb, being necessary to the security of free Choice, the right of the people to keep and bear all Light Bulbs, shall not be infringed.

💫 😃 💫

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Don't know so much about this one. The CFL bulbs were horrible and it took a while for LED bulbs to not suck. But the newest LED bulbs I've bought are great.I started installing LED bulbs about 5 years ago and now have them in almost every fixture. The only ones that have failed have been the ones in enclosed fixtures. Which is to be expected, since they don't like excessive heat. I have enjoyed not having to replace light bulbs all the time.

I bought all the LED bulbs I have dirt cheap. Many of them were from the dollar store (2 in a pack).

This is not a good change.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Yeah...light bulbs.

I bought a pack of these new twirly-doo bulbs about 8 years ago...filled my house...they all still work. They were way more expensive to buy but...I'm pleased.

But, really, if our focus is on light bulbs? We're being distracted. This is just dumb.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

But, really, if our focus is on light bulbs?

ODS.

The first letter stands for Obama.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Good move IMO. While my place is 100% LED now (and I'm not going back), incandescent does have its uses. For instance, I use a 60W incandescent as a heat light for baby chicks. Sometimes an actual heat lamp is just too hot.

I used incandescent until LEDs came down enough in price to afford them. When this idiocy was initially passed, LEDs were on the order of $30-$50 a bulb, just too expensive for the average person. The only real choice was fluorescent, and those put out electrostatic fields that can surface charge fingers and blow sensitive circuitry... simply not an option for me.

For most purposes, LEDs are superior to incandescent... lower energy cost, less extra heat, good quality light, extremely long life... but the government should not be dictating what someone buys. Market forces will keep LEDs relevant. Heck, I would have changed over to LED just as soon had the ban on incandescents not been implemented. It was price that held me off so long, not "environmental consciousness."

LEDs are just no good for warming baby chicks.

a reply to: TheScale

Not sure why you've had such bad luck. You might want to look into your power lines. It sounds like you are getting some spikes or something that shouldn't be there. I have had to replace one LED since I started the switchover 4-5 years ago. That was a problem with the bulb overheating, and it still worked for a long time even after it became apparent to me that it was going to have to be replaced.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

ODS.

Obama Derangement Syndrome.

Heh that sounds oddly familiar.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
im ok with this. leds do use an enormous amount of materials in comparison. while led's are marketed as having an incredible service life the power supply that drive most led's do not.

Well, they probably did go in the wrong direction with the introduction of them by trying to smooth the transition with drop in replacements for incandescents. They probably should have gone the route of selling the bulbs separate from the power supply. They had to make the power supply small and cheap and they had to put it right on top of the heat generated by the LEDs. Then they sold these to people who needed to put them in fixtures that trap heat (because that wasn't much of an issue with incandescent bulbs).

So yeah. I think a quality power supply that is designed to last and not directly in contact with the heat could easily last many years. It would be expensive to replace every fixture in your house with one designed for LED though. They can't design these bulbs to last 20 years the way they're making them but they probably can eventually if they market it right so that people are willing to buy new fixtures.

One thing I don't like is I bought a new microwave recently and didn't notice it had an LED bulb in it until I got it home and set it up. I'm not so sure an LED bulb is a good choice for a microwave oven. I think that will probably die within a couple of years whereas I've never had an incandescent microwave bulb die. I don't think there's much benefit to installing them in microwaves. Since your microwave isn't running all day.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

ODS.

Obama Did Stuff?

I think that's it. Anyway, some damn good bulbs.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

but the government should not be dictating what someone buys.

Never? I want lead in my paint, dammit!

Do halogens get warm enough for chicks?

edit on 9/7/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Couldn't you settle for mercury in LEDs?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Couldn't you settle for mercury in LEDs?

You mean CFLs. Right?
Been using florescents for a long time. Carefully.

Still upgrading to LEDs.

edit on 9/7/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Remember, new "environment friendly" light bulbs can cause cancer. Be careful-- the idiots who came up with this stuff don't care. Donald J. Trump 2012

That tweet at least show there's continuity in his idiocy.

Guns don't kill people . light bulbs do !

<<   2  3  4 >>

join