It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous trends in today's technology

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: miri2019

Tesla was a genius responsible for AC electricity nevermind a multitude of other invention and technology that pervades our daily lives.

God not so much im afraid, what did he invent?

God doesn't seem to ken his arse from his elbow where humanity is concerned, or if he does hes not saying much about it.

Like i said change is inevitable from the smallest insect to massive spiral galaxies of our universe, cause and effect are the colour of the day.

"They" do get us, in very insidious ways, ile give you that, but we let them and welcome it more ofter than not.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

The other day my assistant saw me walking home from work and pulled over. "You're walking!?" I was like yeah, I only live 5 blocks away. I walk or bike fairly often. She was absolutely appalled and insisted on giving me a ride. It was a beautiful summer night with cool air. I got home and sat in a lawn chair just star gazing for like an hour after that.

Most folks would't have the time to do the walk if they wanted to... they would be late for their next appoitment / errand or even worse for their job which would directly impact them in a not so beneficial reprimand i can imagine. So while this is such an appealing and romantic thought, the logistical infrastructure culture in most places is not set up to allow this type of archaic mobility. Imagine the healthy implications of walking more now a days... gasp ! oh well

leolady

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

This man speaks truth for a living.

+++

Leaving FCD out of this for a minute because he is 100-percent spot on, I'll say it again:

Gene-editing for supertraits in offspring: when it is possible, you will use it or your offspring will compete at a disadvantage vs. the children of parents who didn't share your 'concerns.'

Merging with Ai: You either augment to keep up with it or it rapidly outclasses you in every way.

+++

At a basic level, these principals are illustrated right now with our form of governance. Congress moves in 4-6 year cycles. Tech companies move in 15-day cycles. In 5 years they will move in 15-minute cycles.

Take control now or it is already too late; the contradiction at the core of every existential threat we face as a species.

Long live the 69 Camaro!

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

God not so much im afraid, what did he invent?

"You"!! ... among other infinte gigantic things/universes ??!! But it just shows how short-sighted and ignorant some people can be, the point is to learn things in the smartest and least painful way possible, ... but hey to each his own.

God doesn't seem to ken his arse from his elbow where humanity is concerned, or if he does hes not saying much about it.

Noted! Remember one day what you wrote here, Almighty delays but never forgets! And I'm very afraid ... very!

Like i said change is inevitable from the smallest insect to massive spiral galaxies of our universe, cause and effect are the colour of the day.

True, but change can mean many things and it can go in many directions, don't you think?!!

Tesla was a genius responsible for AC electricity nevermind a multitude of other invention and technology that pervades our daily lives.

He was a genius, depends how his inventions were/are used.

"They" do get us, in very insidious ways, ile give you that, but we let them and welcome it more ofter than not.

Thanks for giving me that.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
With all respect.

You do your best do scare away anyone from religion with that post, really.

Do you live in constant fear that the all loving god will be mad at you? Does that keep you in check? I would say an all loving god exactly knows how flawed we are and that he can recognize that life is a learning process.

What loving god would hold you responsible for something you did way back half into you life?

What would he say about you judging others on their believe? Calling them short sighted and ignorant. Maybe, just maybe it is you. It is all perspective.

No offense but really, get a grip.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Prove God invented me and not evolution?

I'm not afraid of imaginary sky gods, even if they did exist i imagine it would wish us to question, that if its intent was benevolent by nature.

Change can indeed take many forms and shape, so yes i do indeed think so.

Again it depends on how we use knowledge, tools, and invention. Good and bad being very human constructs, tools are not predominantly anything other than tools.

No problem.
edit on 8-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
"Person of Interest" is of of the most awesome and relevant shows of the past few years. It lasted less than 5 seasons.

Coincidence? I think not.

⭐&🚩

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

With all respect.
You do your best do scare away anyone from religion with that post, really.

Actually, it wasn't my intention to bring people to religion the way I wrote. I tell people my experience with God, and if that scares them, so be it, let them think twice before they say or do something against the Divine.

Do you live in constant fear that the all loving god will be mad at you? Does that keep you in check? I would say an all loving god exactly knows how flawed we are and that he can recognize that life is a learning process.
What loving god would hold you responsible for something you did way back half into you life?
What would he say about you judging others on their believe? Calling them short sighted and ignorant. Maybe, just maybe it is you. It is all perspective.

No I don't live in constant fear, on the contrary, I enjoy life. However I fear a lot God's anger, I've seen His punishments to this whole world during my whole life. All-loving God?! I don't think so, He is wonderful and terrible at the same time.

It's exactly that He considers our flaws so when the punishment comes (if we deserve one), it comes accordingly to our human condition, if He didn't consider our flaws, we'd be in a much worse shape.
God holds humans responsible for much longer than that, I'd say it goes beyond our short lives in our physical bodies, way beyond. When that happens it means that the humans have done something very bad and for a very long time. People have noticed this very well -- karma as a concept showed up for a reason.

So me judging others, so "don't be judgmental" lie popped up now? Then very well, I'd tell them what they are when the situation requires it, when I'm absolutely sure about a truth that I know very well to be so. When someone demeans the Almighty I feel I have to talk and tell them exactly what they are.

Yes, whose right or wrong, me or you in this case, there should be an impartial, very ethical wise third party to decide so.

No offense but really, get a grip.

No offense taken, but I really have a grip, I speak from experience and if people do not like it, then it's their problem.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Prove God invented me and not evolution?

The way you're asking questions and its terseness, shows a lot. It's up to you to find the  answer, as I found it. But to do that you need to find God first, if you need help how to do so, let me know. I can also give you the name of a very informative book regarding this matter, if you wish.

I'm not afraid of imaginary sky gods, even if they did exist i imagine it would wish us to question, that if its intent was benevolent by nature.

Knowing certain things, as I said I'd be very afraid of what I say about God, and how I conduct myself, regardless of our human condition. My point is if I trash the Divine, I'd be punished very badly and I've been.

Benevolent by our definition is different from God's benevolence. I've been thru certain trials in my life and my conclusion is that God is a wonderful but stern One, yes He would like us to question, but doing that in a kind, thoughtful and respectful way, and very much so. God absolutely hates arrogance, yelling at and testing Him.

Change can indeed take many forms and shape, so yes i do indeed think so.
Again it depends on how we use knowledge, tools, and invention. Good and bad being very human constructs, tools are not predominantly anything other than tools.

Good and bad are not human constructs, relativity of morals is another giant and very dangerous lie. The morals were carved into our souls since when we were created as spiritual beings by God. We instinctively know when some action is good or bad.

P.S. I think we're veering off the main subject, however I can continue if need be, time and other conditions permitting.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnD

Seemed to have been interesting, I'm sure there'll be other good shows ahead.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 11:04 PM
link   

1. Agreed
2. Agreed. Or in many instances, you can’t turn something off without removing the power source - and sometimes you can’t do that (easily).
3. That’s called a revenue stream. Anyone with M&A experience knows that a business with an ongoing revenue stream is valued > one time/transaction based business.
4. Paper costs money. Business doesn’t want to pay for it. Neither do I.
5. Avoid this at all costs. Just hit up the ATM and get cash.
6. Back to efficiency - it’s easier to carry a card. Plus, if you shop online or travel, a card offers you protection. I love to vacation in Mexico but you won’t find me carrying wads is cash there.
7. I see no problems with this. Robots are taking on menial tasks. Same argument you posed was made during the industrial revolution. It’s bunk.
8. I don’t have a need or time to take apart my phone - too many other things to do. I’d argue if you have time to burn opening up your smart phone you need more hobbies.

These aren’t trends. This is technological advancement. Do I shun some tech due to privacy concerns? Absolutely. Am I worried about all the things you listed? No.

The larger issue in my mind is what are we going to do with all the unskilled labor that’s going to be replaced by tech. We’re talking millions of jobs. This is different than the industrial revolution - we’re not just screwing lids on cans any longer and AI is going to take over aspects of the service industry. When it does, where do those people go given robots/AI already gobbled up a big portion of manufacturing?

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I went to Sunday school mate, i know God as much as the next Man.

I will never fear knowledge, only what can be done with it.

Show me a God first, then show me one with morals?

Your God is the one with the commands may seem rude or unfriendly, terse.

Do you imagine nature deludes herself with such arbitrary concepts as good or evil?

She suffers no such delusions.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

I see that there's some understanding on some points.

Regarding #3, I know that from a business standpoint companies love continuous stream of revenue. However I was talking from a customer based viewpoint.
#4, Paper elimination - I'd like to have paper as a backup option always, I don't want to type or write on a touch device that has its quirks, battery drain, software glitch, hacking, among other things. It's not that simple.
#5 Cash usage - Agreed, I always carry cash/cards with me all the time, never had any problem.
#6 Cards usage - Understood, as I said I want to have both options cash+cards, but no luck here, banks wanna do away with cash, and I can't do nothing about it. Again I'm talking as an avarage man.
#7 Pervasiveness of robotics - I think that here I see some contradiction, here you mention that you see no problem with the robots doing menial tasks and below that, you see the bigger issue of the the unskilled labor that’s going to be replaced by tech - precisely and I didn't mention this in my OP.
#8 Complete sealing of the devices - Actually I didn't mean to tinker with my phone in detail, I meant maybe changing the battery the easy way, the screen breaks and I paid premium money for the device. So these kind of things I meant, 4 screws on my phone cover don't hurt.

The larger issue in my mind is what are we going to do with all the unskilled labor that’s going to be replaced by tech. We’re talking millions of jobs. This is different than the industrial revolution - we’re not just screwing lids on cans any longer and AI is going to take over aspects of the service industry. When it does, where do those people go given robots/AI already gobbled up a big portion of manufacturing?

Agreed!

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

It sounds good that you went to Sunday school, but it's not enough.
Exactly, I don't fear knowledge either, as I said it depends how one uses it.

Andy, it does not work like that - "Show me God first, then ...", it simply doesn't. Finding God is a personal matter, not a difficult one if one goes the right way, with head down, humble, polite, saying many times "Sorry for my mistakes my Father, my bad, I'll fix it next time, gimme another option!" and being sincere about it. Keep in mind He is like a kind father when He enters into relationship with humans, but at the same time a very stern One.
Let me put like this - it's a journey, with its own twists and turns, just be persistent. I speak from experience.

My (our) God is the real one, He is the God of Heaven and Hell too, same One, loving and terribly nightmarish at the same time.
Again, this is for you too find out, other people that have found Him can only guide you.

As far as nature I see that you're humanizing it ("She ..."). Nature is not a being, so the argument that " ... nature deludes herself with such arbitrary concepts as good or evil" doesn't have place here.
Nature, time, space, do not exist as such, they come from God, manifesting Himself differently, but that's something else. As I mentioned in another post above, it's beings that have carved into their souls the morality, since the time of their creation from God, long, long long time ago.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Ile take science and mathematics.

You take God.

Personal or otherwise if God exists its not the one from the Bible, neither of the two.

You might live to see us build our own.

And then watch you fear that whilst worshiping your own i imagine.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   

I see that we have differences of opinions and we're drifting off the main topic Andy.

You can start your own thread with the subject we're discussing at hand and I might give my contribution there.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Well, I pity a world without a difference of opinion.

That really would be hell.

Plenty of threads round these here parts that allude to the fact that our notion of God and organized religious practice being nothing more than a product of Man, don't really see what I could add by starting another.
edit on 10-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I appreciate your points

I realize the contradiction. It’s the same contradiction we have seen at other technological inflection points though.

Anything that is creative, requires “touch” or directly helping humans is probably safe.

It’s the front line, basic service jobs that aren’t very technical that go first - the entry level to the service industry.

Another angle to this is declining birth rates... you need AI if you have less human labor. Also, if you have fewer humans you consume less resources - which leads to more resources for all. Imagine if the US had no jobs for unskilled labor... everyone without a trade/skill/education would think about leaving. No opportunity! So say we in the US got down to 200mm people but had he same GDP... we’d be extremely prosperous collectively. Poverty would decline, violence would decrease, the prison population would get cut down, fewer people dragging on “the system”... it would basically self-select out a lot of people to places that haven’t achieved our level of tech advancement. Very different place than today.

Once the baby boom generation is gone we’ll already be on our way to a labor shortage. AI solves that. Open borders are just a way to supply labor pre-AI, have bodies for a draft and keep costs down for basic consumer goods - and possibly grow the tax base.

So why do lower class people pop out kids like it’s their job and then leach of the gov and the gov supports it? That doesn’t fit my narrative... it’s likely a simple voting issue - they need people to keep them in power until we don’t need them.

This builds a case for the true means to a one world gov, no states, etc. it also speaks to impending problems (potentially mortal problems) for a big swath of the population. But those points are for another thread...

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Differences are healthy when they complement each other and there's some common ground for a good discussion to take place.

Thanks Andy for taking part in this thread!

posted on Sep, 12 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

I surely see the advantages of AI and robotics, less repetitive manual jobs for humans, access to places impossible for humans to get into, etc, however I'm for a technology that is ethical, non-intrusive, controlled, that comes naturally as people themselves become more ethical and develop spiritually during this course.

Moreover my point is if the capabilities of AI are going to be used against us and history shows that humans have abused the technological advancements to his own detriment.

I for one don't see a bright future with the AI taking over many of our jobs. Elon Musk said that much:

www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2018/04/06/elon-musks-nightmarish-warning-ai-could-become-an-immortal-dictator-from-which-we- would-never-escape/

Among his many warnings about the rise of artificial intelligence, Elon Musk has said that autonomous machines are more dangerous to the world than North Korea and could unleash “weapons of terror.” He has compared the adoption of AI to “summoning the devil.”

While I see the advantages of a world without borders, I think that humanity is not ready for one world government or no states, too many differences in their culture, tech development, their abilities and so on. And not with this elite that does not stop exploiting people.

It's a nice idea but for a later time, when people are more developed spiritually and ethically, with their leaders being exceptionally so.

edit on 12-9-2019 by miri2019 because: Enter link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join