It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous trends in today's technology

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: miri2019

I don't see god coming to save us miri2019.

Just us.

Change will happen with our without our consent, for better or worse, far as i can establish technology enables us far more than it retards.

We improvise adapt and overcome, we do so using or minds and opposable appendages, with tools and technology.

Fact is humanity does not create tools it does not use.

Its just how we roll.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That’s all well and good until something like the carington event happens, something that we really aren’t prepared for and the after effects of which could knock us back into the Stone Age.

Personally I think we’ve allowed ourselves to become to dependent on technology, not just in terms of infrastructure and all that jazz, but in our personal lives. I find really sad when I go into a pub and the few people that are there are on there phones, or a concert and everyone is waving their phones in the air filming it when it’s happening live right before their eyes.

With augmented reality and virtual reality people will be literally living in their own reality bubbles with nobody sure of what’s real and what isn’t anymore. Where almost there already.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Ah but God won't protect against coronal mass ejection or any other form of ELE.

Point of fact does he not provide them?

People already live there lives in bubbles, augmented reality/virtual reality or otherwise.

Reality or what we think we perceive as such may well indeed be one big holographic bubble the principle hold any weight.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
That's why I don't do any social media.

So to speak.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
AI and military robots.
Not many ways for that to go all wrong, correct?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Only if live imitates art.

How many military robots have killed people? My guess, not that many too date.

How many People kill other people? Do we even know the answer there?

AI might surprise us, then again its creators leave somewhat to be desired.

But with the potential to learn at an exponential rate, it may not follow the premise of Monkey see, Monkey do.

Anyhoo nobody has even come close to spawning real high-level A.I.
edit on 7-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

[...]

Jumped-through endless hoops, to finally appear to have all of the Blackberry installations done, then: the bloody application wouldn't download, for whatever reason.
Tried so many times, got frustrated, and quit.

But the 'benefits', were far beyond that:
Started receiving all kinds of new junk mail, offers, and total crap like all of those 'v-i-a-g-r-a' adds.
Anyways: just another personal confirmation that they want all your info, so that they can sell it for a profit.
We can't even get simple stuff to work, without being under their thumb.

[...]

Interesting and very common story Nothin, to use something you need to sign up for that other thing, or download this piece of software, and so on, sounds so familiar ... and the (un)funny thing is when it does not even work after all that, adding to the frustration.

It's becoming so blatant now, companies asking access to every sensor of our devices in order to use their products, even when they don't need to.

As to your added point:
Fantasize about getting-away, but it's not an easy undertaking at all.
Made a thread about it a couple of years ago:
ATS: Shall we start a new community out in the forest?

Yea, I know it's not easy living of-the-grid and I don't plan too, but the way things are going, that alternative doesn't look that far away though, if (even) the woods are not under surveillance, that is.

Nice thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: rhynouk

I work in the book industry and trust me, paper handwritten books are not going anywhere anytime soon. There was a period when digital media was taking over, but as time has gone on, people have wanted an actual physical copy of something.

There is no doubt that it's not what it used to be. I wrote 2 novels thanks to Amazons self publishing program though and got them released as paper back books, so it can work both ways. There is however an inner war going on between paper media and digital media. with both price and quality at the forefront.

Who doesn't love to read a decent paper book under the stars?

That's good that people still love the paper handwritten books and congratulations on your books and writing. As I said before, the new advancements have definitely their own advantages, I buy all the time from Amazon and other sellers, and I like having both options.

But my concern is when these big companies will behave in such a way, as to do away with the other (unwanted for them) option and eliminate the competition of this other option. Say the paper book industry, the way I see it goes, people will be pushed toward everything digital thru low prices for e-devices, free items, e-books on sale, etc. Something like an e-book is sold for $5, when its paper book version costs $25, and people will buy the e-book. Even today when I ride on a train and see people reading paper books or newspapers, they look kinda out of place in the sea of other people (me included) reading their e-devices.
This brings a lower demand for paper books, which means less work for the printing and paper companies, until one day the paper will become a rarity and these printing companies can't survive anymore. I agree this takes time, but we're seeing some of the consequences right now - more and more people get their news from their devices rather than a hard copy newspaper, resulting in a lower volume of paper newspaper being printed.

So to recap, I like to have both options, but this elite wants us to push towards one option only, digital in this case, and slowly getting rid totally of the other one. Note that this paper-vs-digital alternatives is just a drop in the sea of the dangerous trends, so they might not care much about this for now, but make no mistake, they're after everything, every trend, no matter how big or small.

Best and thank you.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I never said god had anything to with it, all I know is we wouldn’t even know about things like the carington event without technology, on the other hand it could wipe us out when we have become so dependent on technology.

I’m not against tech, far from it, I do think it is extremely short sighted not to plan for EMPs and such and I really don’t like the way it is being abused to manipulate us. Planed obsolescence is another gripe.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Today's tech for me often looks like this.

Drives me outta my friggin mind!

edit on 7-9-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

originally posted by: lostbook

It seems to me that Western society is switching over from Analogue to Digital. You think things are weird now? Just wait till we start human computer interfaces.

Ooh, like that tech Elon musk is developing where they embed a chip and tiny wires in your brain? Now that scares the bejesus out of me.

They will be assembled by these little buggers, too!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You know, that's one of the very things which pisses me off. All this technology, were something like that to actually happen, would make it nearly impossible for those of us who really can survive without technology to survive. For example; I have cash, and I know how to work an old school gas pump. Then an EMP happens (or whatever), now I'm S# out of luck for getting gas because not a single gas pump in the affected area will dispense gas (regardless of how much cash and ability I have). Check out at the grocery store? HA, fat chance! You can see where this is headed. ATM machine????

As a matter of fact, just yesterday I saw a parking lot service post a sign saying they would no longer accept cash or checks, credit cards only. Cashless society just forces us to be more dependent on technology, just forces us further into the maw of the 'machine'.

Social credit score???

Nineteen Eighty-four was supposed to be a work of fiction.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Mate double-edged bastard sword i suppose.

All i know is without such we would not even be having this conversation.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I don't see god coming to save us miri2019.

Just us.

We completely differ on this point andy06shake, the humans are well beyond the point of no return, but we'll wait and see.

Change will happen with our without our consent, for better or worse, far as i can establish technology enables us far more than it retards.

Actually this kind of "change" happens when it's forced on us and with our *tacit* consent - if people decide to throw away their shiny gadgets, I'd be the first one to throw them away, and not being forced by my employer when he/she asks me, whether I have a cell phone or whether I have a bank account to deposit my check or not, so he/she can decide my fitness for the job. The last, being just an example.

See how "they" get us, in very very insidious ways. "They" have been studying human psychology for a long long time, "they" have learned and now use that knowledge to our detriment. See how the elites have worked quietly in the background to bring us these "wonderful technological advancements".

These times we're living in right now, are the most dangerous times this earth has ever seen. And we have not seen nothing yet, so to speak. "They" are in a rush, "they" have no time now.

We improvise adapt and overcome, we do so using or minds and opposable appendages, with tools and technology.

Fact is humanity does not create tools it does not use.

Fact is humanity will create all kinds of tools regardless how they might be used, without thinking twice about other nefarious uses of the same said tools. People say "if this tool does my job at hand, I could care less how it can be used otherwise or even think about it, it won't affect me". We roll not in the right way. The invention of the atomic bomb is just an example of our tools and its uses.

Think about Tesla's work, he discovered/invented many things and as far as I know he was a well-intentioned scientist. But the powers that be jumped right away and took all of his patents with them, and he died almost a lonely person. God knows in what way all of his discoveries/inventions are being used today.

edit on 7-9-2019 by miri2019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

You know, that's one of the very things which pisses me off. All this technology, were something like that to actually happen, would make it nearly impossible for those of us who really can survive without technology to survive. For example; I have cash, and I know how to work an old school gas pump. Then an EMP happens (or whatever), now I'm S# out of luck for getting gas because not a single gas pump in the affected area will dispense gas (regardless of how much cash and ability I have). Check out at the grocery store? HA, fat chance! You can see where this is headed. ATM machine????

As a matter of fact, just yesterday I saw a parking lot service post a sign saying they would no longer accept cash or checks, credit cards only. Cashless society just forces us to be more dependent on technology, just forces us further into the maw of the 'machine'.

Social credit score???

Nineteen Eighty-four was supposed to be a work of fiction.

Well said Flyingclaydisk!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids

Today's tech for me often looks like this.

[...]

Drives me outta my friggin mind!

That's a good depiction of where we are and where we are headed. By the way, one day I was depositing some cash in one ATM machine and it got stuck with the money inside. I lost about an hour, called customer service and they were helpful, but told me it needed time for the transaction to be verified and cleared and also I didn't have immediate access to that money. Instead I could have gone to the *human* teller and I wouldn't have had these problems.

Also Walmart is slowly doing away with the human cashiers, now it's mostly self-checkout machines.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I have just never had enough faith in the tech to put a bunch
of money or even a check in a machine. Party teller to pull some
cash out works for me. But that's the end of it.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   
All I can say is, I have a "book". A county road map book of my state. That is my bible, for how to get around. It's older, but has not failed me. GPS? You fooled me once, lead me to a dead end road.
Screw you.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Here are a few that concern me:
- wifi everywhere. 1 signal may not have been so bad for the body but now my printer, phone, tv, playstation, xbox, car, tv box, smartwatch, lightbulbs, chromecast etc all microwave me at once.

- AI is being given more rights and respect than some humans enjoy already and it is not even fully baked. Not sure where it will fit between the 99% and the 1% as it takes the jobs.

- gloried smart devices being entrusted with human lives as they driving us around yet 30 years on MS cant build an OS still that doesnt crash once and a while.

- not being able to speak to a human. My call is not important to you, i am not happy to hold and i dont want to take a quick survey. But for the love of god, i will do whatever you want if you put me through to someone with the sbility to do something.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Here are a few that concern me:
- wifi everywhere. 1 signal may not have been so bad for the body but now my printer, phone, tv, playstation, xbox, car, tv box, smartwatch, lightbulbs, chromecast etc all microwave me at once.

- AI is being given more rights and respect than some humans enjoy already and it is not even fully baked. Not sure where it will fit between the 99% and the 1% as it takes the jobs.

- glorified smart devices being entrusted with human lives as they driving us around yet 30 years on MS cant build an OS still that doesnt crash once and a while.

- not being able to speak to a human. My call is not important to you, i am not happy to hold and i dont want to take a quick survey. But for the love of god, i will do whatever you want if you put me through to someone with the ability to think outside the square and do something.
edit on 8-9-2019 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join