It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dead Seas Scrolls = Fake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Busted
Dunno who this fits well for though, jews hate jesus so christians can blame them for being scammed while, jews will blame the bedouins for selling it to them.
Awaits science deniers claims that they understand science better than scientists.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

This is the only place I found the word fake.

who recently revealed that the trade in fragments of the Dead Sea scrolls was full of fakes.

Why do you think they are fake?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

They didn't say the dead sea scrolls were fake, they said that one of them was made of an unusual material. All the discovered was that one of those things was not like the others, it could be that it was a fake or that the parchment came from a different source than the other parchment.

“I am not the least surprised to learn that a part of the scrolls was not prepared in the Dead Sea region. It would be naive to assume that they were all prepared there.”

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Awaits science deniers claims that they understand science better than scientists.

I don't need to know science better than a scientist, just better than you.

I read the link and I don't see them claiming all the dead sea scrolls are fakes. Maybe you can pinpoint it?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Busted
Dunno who this fits well for though, jews hate jesus so christians can blame them for being scammed while, jews will blame the bedouins for selling it to them.

I think you have the "Science Deniers" beat.

You deny reality and science...LOL

Not sure which article you read, but the one you linked has nothing to indicate the scrolls are fake (though it wouldn't surprise me if some were).

edit on 9/6/2019 by MykeNukem because: removed snarky remark *slaps hand

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I really think you need to change your title and go read the article again.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Did you actually read the article? You should.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Busted

Busted is the given link, of which in fact says nothing of the kind and is actually a link to a newspaper that has so often went after real truths as far as they could pursue them...so unlike many other rags that are just that, Rags.
The Guardian does not really endorse 'hate' opinions either, by implication or otherwise... in the way you allow in a story about scientific curiosity.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Why? Just... why???

This is actually an interesting find. And could open all kinds of new research. My best guess is that the foreign salt found are local to another group of Essenes, which travelled and among themselves to one extent or another, and shared various manuscripts. Finding a place where these particular salts are common might link the Qumran Essenes with another group, perhaps not known as Essenes or perhaps not known at all.

That's just off the top of my head, and I'm sure for those more informed and better versed in the contemporary history and archeology could come up with plenty more possibilities.

But you had to get a bee in your bonnet and post something with no substance and not even expressed in the article you linked.

And you broke T&Cs by not using the title of the source link for the title of your OP.

For everyone interested in this stuff -- and since you clicked I'm pretty sure you are! -- it's worth a read:

Dead Sea scrolls study raises new questions over texts' origins

Salts used on Temple scroll are not common to Dead Sea region, researchers find

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This would not surprise me. But frankly, if you buy into any religion, you're setting yourself up to believe any lie someone throws at you.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Got fired by the tabloids didn't ya?
Put down the pipe and try to get your job back.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
bummer.. another hoax …

lies, deceit, mayhem,, with anything that is legit with our current establishment...

again palms up-..

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
and just so we know who read this literature?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
The Dead Sea scrolls are fake, so is the shroud of Turin, the millions of Coptic and Catholic icons and spears and goblets, so what
What does that change, what does it matter and to who

Really, if you are right, so what

Not only does it seem you are wrong it’s mostly irrelevant anyway
Who cares

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Right I believe they are real BUT I also do not believe there was any link between the Essene sect and the followers of the way that later came into being following the teachings of Jesus.

I believe the Essene sect were simply one of a very great many such sects that arose in the century's under foreign rule that the natives of Judea had to suffer and that many of these sect's were looking forward to the Messiah coming to save them.

As such they all interpreted the ancient prophecy's including perhaps other now forgotten and lost writing's of ancient Judea including prophetic visions that are also lost to us today.

And so they converged toward the truth in there own way as perhaps so did many other such sect's, a truth that led toward the coming of Jesus.

So the scroll's are often very real but there is indeed a trade in counterfeit scroll's which arose a long time ago due to the money that poor Arab's could make by using some old goat skin and forging what appeared to be ancient writing upon them then selling them as far back as the late 1800's and even perhaps earlier to the already existing then often very wealthy and usually English travelers whom were in affect the tourists of there day often visiting the holy land and wanting to bring back a memento of there journey, a piece of the holy land.
But once the antiquarian's became interested thing's such as fake relics began to become a lot more lucrative for the back street workshop's and otherwise formerly very respectable and intelligent merchant's began to get in on the game which made those fakes even better and better.

But as for the dead sea scroll's, the original one's in the hands of the experts that are often in very poor condition and having to be slowly put back together a tiny fragment at a time, well they are very real but as I say have little or no baring upon Christianity and despite NEW AGE claim's that have no evidence to back them up any claim they are in any way related to Jesus himself other than that these people WERE looking forward to his coming is purely conjecture, almost as bad in fact as the idiotic and mindless claims that Jesus lived in Kashmir and studied in Tibet made by some eastern mystic's.

Perhaps equally interesting to the dead sea scroll's (just as old but from Italy) and with no religious connotations since any made in them are from dead religions are the archives of scroll's from Herculaneum and Pompeii that despite being essentially just ash in the shape of the scroll's they once were are now being deciphered using special technology that can pick out the writing on them, not an easy task when they are really just charcoal and touching them can make them fall into dust - which could then not be deciphered.

This is a case of forensic advancement's and archaeology meeting in perfect synergy.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

edit on 972019 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Buy In?
I didn't know Religion was like a Poker Game.
Now it kinda makes sense, all that tithe stuff.
Anyway, they all claim to sell the same "truth".

ganjoa

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

I really think you need to change your title and go read the article again.

That would sort of defeat the purpose of using an attention-grabbing title to get some clicks and responses now wouldn't it?

It's somewhat funny, cause usually it's the Guardian with such outrageous attention-grabbing titles, but their title of the article is rather mundane in comparison:

"Dead Sea scrolls study raises new questions over texts' origins"

Of course, it's still inaccurate cause the article is only about 1 of those scrolls. The term "Dead Sea scrolls" does grab a bit more attention (because of people's familiarity with that term) than "the Temple scroll" (something people are less familiar with and therefore more inclined not to care about it when they see just the title of the article). So with that in mind, using "Dead Sea scrolls" does grab a few more clicks. Getting attention is more important to the Guardian than accuracy, after all, they are in the entertainment industry. And entertainment needs to hype stuff and captivate people's attention, intrigue them and tickle the ears of the potential audience.

Much like most magazines that claim to be about science come to think of it. Not to mention scientists on TV such as Michio Kaku, Stephen Hawking, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, Richard Dawkins, etc. You can recognize it once they start publishing or talking about the multiverse, M-theory and String theory, which has little to nothing to do with science.

edit on 9-9-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join