It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the first time in 11 years, 80 Percent of Americans in their prime are working

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

How far would you have to drive to get a better job? I drive 30 miles to work everyday, and 30 miles back. My small town has about the same difference pay between the manager and cook, and both of them take up the role as janitor.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: spacemanjupiter

A school in Indianapolis doesn't pay teachers enough to afford an apartment around $1,000.00 a month?

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I think you are being too narrow in your understanding here LSU. That drop and the recovery goes a lot deeper than just which party was in power. Don't you remember ?

The economy had flourished because of run away spending under the Bush presidency.Tons and tons of money had been poured off into those wars in the Middle East. But more than that the banking system had over extended itself. Interest rates were low and people were buying homes, getting themselves into debt that they could not manage.

Easy loans were being made that offered low monthly payments for the first couple of years only to explode in balloon payments a few years later. People were defaulting on those loans left and right and just walking away from them, leaving the houses behind.

Construction had been humming right along to support those easy to buy homes but when people could no longer afford to even get into one of them construction dried up and when construction dries up everything else goes south.

The banks had been bundling those loans in to pretty packages and selling them to other banks as a profit scheme, each thinking that they would get the upper hand. When people began to default those bundles of loans lost value and the banks freeked. The whole economy began to lurch. Big ticket items dried up, remember the auto sales problems?

All of that had nothing to do with a democrat controlled congress. One of the reasons they had won in the House was because of the wars in the middle East brought to us by the Neo-cons and the wobbly economy brought to us by the lax government oversight on the banking industry.

All of this was handed to Obama. Now I do not agree with the measures that he took to turn it all around. But be that as it may, after a year and a bit, it did start to turn around. That turn around has continued past his terms and continued under early Trump. And that was the rebuttal to the OP's notion that all of our current economic success was entirely due to Trump. Certainly you have not forgotten all of that.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Remember back in the good old days before Jan 2017, when any reports on low unemployment numbers were "faked to make it look like more people were working than actually were"?

Good times!

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: usernameconspiracy
Remember back in the good old days before Jan 2017, when any reports on low unemployment numbers were "faked to make it look like more people were working than actually were"?

Good times!

Funny how that tune changed, eh? Now I'm supposed to buy that the numbers are totally honest? I don't think so.

posted on Sep, 10 2019 @ 04:29 AM
link   
What people dont understand is, even with the amount of opposition trump receives, he still is kicking butt.

There are Democrat elites working to hurt the American citizen so.it can be done under trump.

And people support that kind of madness

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Oleandra88
a reply to: InTheLight
So what you are saying is basically this:

Because poor people can get subsidies from the Government, there is a point where you personally say, "I rather stay at home/poor/jobless" before I go working to get just a bit more?

So basically you brush off everything, because it is not enough yet? Not good enough?

Good move, asking a question where you know/make believe that there is no answer to, then using it as a exit point out of the discussion

The only move I made was asking the question "What types of jobs and how much take home pay"? Which nobody has answered yet.

So I sourced the Federal Poverty Level table - can someone tell me if these jobs exceed the poverty level?

www.thebalance.com...

I don't have specific details but I've heard many times, that the upsurge in jobs under Trump, has mainly been LOW WAGE jobs.

You know, flipping burgers at McDonald's, or wasting your life standing in a Walmart all day, etc.

So an increase in crappy jobs, for more people, is not necessarily a good thing, at all. It might just be a bad thing, overall.

What people need are livable wages, not more poverty-level dead-end jobs.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join