It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the first time in 11 years, 80 Percent of Americans in their prime are working

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

You have less to loose. Can not fall that deep if you are already on the bottom. Makes the landing more soft.

"Have we landed already? I did not even notice"

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: LSU2018

a reply to: LSU2018

What kinds of jobs are they holding and what kind of money do they take home?

I don't know. At least they're not wasting tax payer dollars sitting at home collecting welfare like so many were.

I guess you don't think this is good news since it's growing under Trump?

I don't know if it is good news or not because my question cannot be answered.

How can it not be good news that 80% of Americans in their prime are working? Explain that.

Working poor is not good news.

It is for the corporations that get government welfare to keep those working poor in a job that doesn't pay a living wage.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Nice

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I don't know. At least they're not wasting tax payer dollars sitting at home collecting welfare like so many were.

How can it not be good news that 80% of Americans in their prime are working? Explain that.

Then work, increase your skill set and GET A BETTER PAYING JOB!

not to difficult to understand, really

A person is not going to get said skills sitting at home on their ass, taking government bennies for life.......
edit on pm99201919America/Chicago06p07pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
That's because for the first time in 11 years, everybody needs 3 jobs...

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
lol, I call bull#

as most Americans have now taken bull# jobs, but hey...….woot woot low paying jobs and govt, and gdp jobs...aka nurses.. have taken 0ver

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
We need more industry in this country to make things our people need. Those numbers could be even better and factories usually pay a living wage, those eighty percent numbers include non-living wage jobs too.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm one of those 20 percent not working -- a stay-at-home mom because we can AFFORD me to be. That means meeting bills, and not finding it critical to indulge in vacations, stuff, excessive meals out, lux s#, etc. I.E, living within our means like people should.

How many of that 80% cannot have a single income household due to low wages and/or high CoL, and how many can't be bothered to be the stay-at-home because they want a bunch of useless crap they can't take beyond the grave in a few decades? That's the real measure of those numbers -- comparing my SAH parent/spouse group, the "No Choice" group, and the "Gotta Have All The Things" group.
edit on 9/6/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   

a reply to: AaarghZombies

I hear a lot of people talk about double jobs, but know of nobody working them. When the Parish I work in tried to increase property taxes by 40%, a bill proposed by the School Board, we saw tons of stories by teachers employed by the Parish that said they had to work two jobs to make ends meet. One door separates my office from the President/CEO where I work so I get a lot of the information he gets. According to the FOIA we got from the School Board, the same people working two jobs to make ends meet were people making anywhere between $60K and $150K per year and were also married, many to other teachers making nearly as much, or more than them. That's way more than enough for living wages here, as you could make it on $32K per year. My main point is that many people who complain about working two jobs are people who live outside their means.

You can't drink champagne on a beer budget.
is

a lot of people in my home town could only dream of those numbers. We're talking people doing part time in two places, or people behind the counter in star bucks during the day and uber at night, and still not making a living wage. A store managers sallary here is only about 50 cents am hour more than the person who does the register.

To earn $60K is a pipe dream. Even our drugs dealers don't make that much money. A teacher gets maybe $25k if they do all the training and have a departmental position and are a coach on the side. Which is the same hours as teaching and doing uber at the weekends. This isn't enough to support a family, even one kid. And a family homes being so expensive. At least when compared to incomes.

The problem here is that professional or skilled positions have disappeared. You used to be able to make a living wage as a plumber or an electrician, but nobody can afford to pay you anymore. And management positions are Now only semi skilled. Your'e little more than the person who picks which shifts people get and who is allowed to lock up after closing.

People aren't lazy or stupid, but they have to give 110% just to maintain the status quo, the economy is broken. Everybody is on the bottom rung of the ladder, and there isn't enough space on the next ring up to accommodate you even if you put in the time and the effort.

Even starting your own business is 100 times harder than it used to be. People can't pay you money that they don't have. They decorate their own homes because they can't afford a profesional, and they eat in because they can't afford to eat out. And it doesn't matter how great your product or service is because nobody can afford to buy it, and the banks won't give you a loan to start the business in the first place.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: funbobby

Well, he waved a Sharpie over a weather map the other day and the dems forgot about everything. What happened to Russia, the border crisis, and gun control?

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I'm 46 and working 40 hrs a week at a factory as a quality assurance at 10 an hour. I supplement my weekly take home pay od $260 ($400 a week pre health and dental and vision insurance, aflac, 401k, taxes, and additional $5 a week out towards taxes) by working 15 to 20 hrs a week at dollar general making 9.50 an hour.

So the results are good at 80% of folks working but I bet many are doing 2-3 jobs to barely get by.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

Then work, increase your skill set and GET A BETTER PAYING JOB!

not to difficult to understand, really

A person is not going to get said skills sitting at home on their ass, taking government bennies for life.......

In my home town, that's easier said than done. The difference between a store manager and their janitor is about 50 cents an hour. If you want more then you leave town and look elsewhere, which is also easier said than done as you need a good set of savings just to rent an apartment while you look for something.

It's also difficult to get training, companies either don't train or they are training internally these days so you don't get a recognized qualification that another company will accept.

Even starting your own company is difficult as when you are poor getting an unsecured business loan is hard to do. And most local people couldn't afford your products or services anyway.

Around here even the drug dealers have to have a second income.
edit on 7-9-2019 by AaarghZombies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

originally posted by: funbobby

Well, he waved a Sharpie over a weather map the other day and the dems forgot about everything. What happened to Russia, the border crisis, and gun control?

Because they sharpie incident was funny, you need a good laugh every now and then.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   

a reply to: AaarghZombies

I hear a lot of people talk about double jobs, but know of nobody working them. When the Parish I work in tried to increase property taxes by 40%, a bill proposed by the School Board, we saw tons of stories by teachers employed by the Parish that said they had to work two jobs to make ends meet. One door separates my office from the President/CEO where I work so I get a lot of the information he gets. According to the FOIA we got from the School Board, the same people working two jobs to make ends meet were people making anywhere between $60K and $150K per year and were also married, many to other teachers making nearly as much, or more than them. That's way more than enough for living wages here, as you could make it on $32K per year. My main point is that many people who complain about working two jobs are people who live outside their means.

You can't drink champagne on a beer budget.

How many of those employed people get their bills paid on what they make without struggling? You don't know anyone with two jobs? I find that hard to believe, or maybe you live in a prosperous area. My roommate works two jobs because schools don't pay teachers enough. If I hadn't come here to help she would not be able to pay for this very average apartment in Indiana. She has a bachelor's in sociology but that isn't getting her anywhere, just more debt. She doesn't live beyond her means. It's just that the cost of living exceeds people's pay rates. I don't see that things are any better in this country now than it was ten years ago, only more mass shootings and way, way more tension. She's afraid to go to school every day to work. Doesn't seem like America is too awfully great right now.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Horray ! Friday Night is a Night for Fighting Over Seats , Tails , Pecking Order , Chillin' Down the Cops when they Arrive , and Balls to the Walls Partying AGAIN...............)......Like America in the Year 2019 , Life Is Good Again !
edit on 8-9-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: UKTruth

Nit pick. The over all claim of the post was that Trump is the only one responsible for the up turn. My reply was that it was not. Yes, the chart shows a stop to the decline in 09 and not a rebound. So What. It was the end of that decline . All of that was well before Trump took office. You can Nit Pick over what year the economy started growing again but that is all you can do. Do you want to give it all to Trump as does the OP. No never mind, of course you do.

The economy thrives more under Republican control. If you look again, as previously requested, you will see a fall start in 2007 when democrats took control of Congress and then a major fall when a democrat won the presidency. You'll see a stagnant or near stagnant growth line until Republicans regained control of Congress and the growth doesn't stop.

Anytime in obama's era when the growth moved a tenth percent, he would get praise and credit. So why shouldn't we give props to those who deserve it when Trump is the president?

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
That's because for the first time in 11 years, everybody needs 3 jobs...

Maybe in your anecdotal area. Talk to your Mayor.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: kingsquirel

And? At least they're working. Would you rather have more unemployed? I see a lot of pessimistic people in here who seem to think it's better to have unemployed people.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's money in their pocket and an opportunity to do more.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

I'm 46 and working 40 hrs a week at a factory as a quality assurance at 10 an hour. I supplement my weekly take home pay od $260 ($400 a week pre health and dental and vision insurance, aflac, 401k, taxes, and additional $5 a week out towards taxes) by working 15 to 20 hrs a week at dollar general making 9.50 an hour.

So the results are good at 80% of folks working but I bet many are doing 2-3 jobs to barely get by.

That's a lot better than sitting around all day with nothing to do but complain on social media or watch Oprah. Plus you have insurance and 401K is a tremendous pad that many people don't have. If you can't move up at your job then you can always look for another in the same field and continue working until you get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join