It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large underwater observatory mysteriously vanishes from Baltic Sea

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It was the megashark thing from that bad Jason Statham movie.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The Whales did it.

Or the Aliens.

Or Alien Whales.

edit on 6-9-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hmmm... Isn't the Baltic sea where that mysterious building/pyramid/anomaly is?

If so, I'm going with " sucked into the Baltic sea anomaly stargate" for the win!

Seriously interesting story, and I wonder if the mystery will be solved, and if we will hear about it if it does.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Whaliens

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
(1) it was about 4km east of the coast near Eckernförde. A large marine unit is stationed there, a lot of maneuvers and drills taking place in that area (therefore it is closed to the public and fishing forbidden)

(2) There are no unknown currents, trenches, aliens or unknown large animals in that area. The sea around is everywhere about 15-25 m deep.

(3) Fishin in the Baltic Sea has become heavily restricted and the few remaining (German) fishermen are subsidized, they couldn't make it on their quota alone, I think.

The official interpretation is between a technical problem on a larger ship, dragging its anchor or something else large over the bottom of the sea (but no traces I have heard of), some illegal fishing (but can normal nets support such massive metallic objects?) or planned destruction and removal (because someone might not like the station and their protocols of heat, o2-concentration, salt-concentration and so on).

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope
I can see divers using extra bottles to fill a big cushion with air and lifting it up a bit and anchoring it to a bigger boat in the 20m range, then pulling it up. Question is why.

The cable looks shredded by brute force but if I would remove this thing with malicious intent, I would shred the cable to an extend you can not see if it was cut or not. Spreading some false bread crumbs...

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
(1) it was about 4km east of the coast near Eckernförde. A large marine unit is stationed there, a lot of maneuvers and drills taking place in that area (therefore it is closed to the public and fishing forbidden)

(2) There are no unknown currents, trenches, aliens or unknown large animals in that area. The sea around is everywhere about 15-25 m deep.

(3) Fishin in the Baltic Sea has become heavily restricted and the few remaining (German) fishermen are subsidized, they couldn't make it on their quota alone, I think.

The official interpretation is between a technical problem on a larger ship, dragging its anchor or something else large over the bottom of the sea (but no traces I have heard of), some illegal fishing (but can normal nets support such massive metallic objects?) or planned destruction and removal (because someone might not like the station and their protocols of heat, o2-concentration, salt-concentration and so on).

I bet it was a Russian submarine. Just went pew pew with some torpedoes- Lab gone.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I would agree that an illegal fishing trawler or ship somehow snagged it and dragged it off.
edit on 6-9-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Not sensational enough

Fake news

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Intriguing as hell! I hope someone has come across more information and can share with us. If all else fails for an explanation... I'll go with aliens.

Illegals aliens ?
Mexicans, or....

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I know what happened.

How dumb, wrong target.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Baltic? Anywhere near that crashed millennium falcon OceanX was blabbering about??

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   

This is an oddity, no doubt.

The underwater observatory, which had been on the seafloor since December 2016, is managed by the GEOMAR Helmholtz Center for Ocean Research Kiel and the Helmholtz Center Geesthacht (HZG).
The station collected data about water temperature, nutrients, salinity, the speed of water flow, and concentrations of chlorophyll and methane. This data is used to evaluate the health of the ecosystem in and around the southwestern Baltic Sea. By monitoring these changes, scientists can be alerted to potential problems and take the required countermeasures. Scientists have been collecting data in the bay since the 1950s. The observatory is also used in the COSYNA network (Coastal Observing System for Northern and Arctic Seas) of the HZG.

Large Underwater Observatory Disappears Without a Trace, Baffling Scientists - Gizmodo

Here is something I think may be of interest and relevance:

"We take monthly samples there, anyhow, to investigate how many nutrients are in the water, how much oxygen is present, how severe the growth of algae is and also which microbes occur", explains Professor Bange, who coordinates the monitoring station. Even without the Ocean Sampling Day, Boknis Eck is an established name in international marine research. "The sampling there has been running almost continuously since 1957. Thus, Boknis Eck is one of the longest continuously active time series stations of its kind", explains Professor Bange. Continuous measurements of this type over a long period are important, for example, to distinguish natural variations in the environment from man-made changes.

International Ocean Sampling Day in Kiel GEOMAR
edit on 7-9-2019 by jadedANDcynical because: fixed link tag

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I found some footage of the event:

Cable Piracy is a Crime!
edit on 7-9-2019 by Zelun because: added context

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Ruskies sold for scrap

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The reality is we have no idea what large sea creatures there are down there. It very well could've been a large sea creature.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Treasure hunter / magnet fishing? Or professional scrap metal thief (scrap/resell value)?
I checked the (unverified) location on google earth and it appears there are random boats and family grounds around so i guess the sea is open for the public too, at least on a regular base which makes it way less mysterious to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Oceans Eleven: the true story.

How it could "dissapear" at 22 metres without notice? Surley something should have noticed activity above, on or below the water such as cargo or research vessels etc.

Maybe it a rogue wave.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
t’s a giant monitoring device. You remove a device like that if you don’t want to be monitored or have someone find something. It’s odd because it seems like it’s a pretty innocuous station - and a known commodity - so why remove if?

Was it aliens? Ancient astronaut theorists say yes. But in this case, it’s not entirely wonky to think that other forces were at play here in my mind given some of the strangeness over the years in the Baltic.

Plausible explanations, to me, include:

- one of the worlds navy’s tested some sort of new submersible and wanted to see if they could get away with it on a low-value, non-military, monitored target.
- it was a con by its operators because they wanted a new station kind of like sea station insurance fraud.
- tied to the first point - it found something someone didn’t want found - so it’s gone via said submersible.
- there are much larger creatures down there than we are aware of.
- some unknown entity (“aliens” or the like) removed it proactively for fear it could out them.
- global warming/environmental activists took it out because it might hurt their narrative based on the data if obtained.
- major corporation took it out so their activities wouldn’t be noticed.
- it had more purposes than the researchers are aware of (or disclose) and hid sensitive monitoring equipment under the guise of this research station.
- just a freak accident and it’s rolling along the sea floor somewhere.

No matter how I think about it - barring the freak accident angle - it was forcefully removed and someone/thing wanted it gone.

And the fact it happened at night makes me think this was a planned operation - satellite imagery could potentially be less useful.

I’m curious what the official narrative will be here.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Shredded cable, so planned ahead, someone must have come by with a big boat and a strong tether, clipped it on and drove away. I wonder why though. [Insert ascii shurg guy here]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join