It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for SEPTEMBER 2019 - "YOU'VE WON THE LOTTERY!" [WL2019]

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is an Official ATS Short Story Writers Contest!

It is open to ALL members of ATS.

There are prizes to be won in the form of ATS "Applause" and even the opportunity for entrants to acquire official ATS "writer" status, but it is more about sharing our creative ideas, encouraging & developing new talent and having Fun!
We usually try to hold around one contest per month.

This month's contest theme is: "YOU'VE JUST WON THE LOTTERY!".
It was chosen by our current contest champion AugustusMasonicus.

"YOU'VE JUST WON THE LOTTERY!" [WL2019]

So, there you have it.
You are tasked with writing a SHORT STORY which contains or relates to the theme: "YOU'VE JUST WON THE LOTTERY!"
HOW you do that is... of course, up to YOU!
Will it change your life... for the better or worse??
What will you do with all the money?
How will it affect your relationships?
What will you do about your old job?
How will you deal with "begging letters" and such-like?
Will it lead to your ruin or your salvation? ahhh... choices choices!

RULES of ENTRY:
Original written entries only please.

The contest will run from NOW to Thurs 26th Sept. 2019.
(Any submissions after that date will be disqualified.)

A period of ONE WEEK after the closing of the contest will be provided for reading & voting.

All T&C's Apply.

All entries MUST include [WL2019] in the title.
(e.g. "I AM A WINNER! [WL2019]”)

There is no word count limit, but please remember that it is a SHORT story contest!

All entries must be posted in their own thread within the SHORT STORIES forum HERE, with a link (to your entry) added to a post in this contest thread. (Just ask if you're not sure how to link!)

Please END all of your submissions with "THE END" so that everyone is clear that your entry is complete.

WINNERS:
There will be 3 winners among members who already have ATS "Writer" status, prizes as follows:

1st Place -- 5 Applause, and selection of the next contest theme (limited to one in a row)
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

Scoring

Points are awarded by ATS members giving FLAGS to their favourite story threads and STARS to their favourite story posts.
(You can award a Flag and/or star(s) to any stories that you like, but please don't give flags or stars for any other reasons!!)

Flags awarded will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.
Stars for additional Story Posts (after the opening one) will be worth 0.5 points each.

If the winner of the "Writers" section is the same person who chose the current theme, then the opportunity to choose the next theme will fall to the runner up.

Our Theme creator AugustusMasonicus will be happy to answer any questions relating to this month's theme, and I am happy to answer anything else about the contests/rules etc.

Just so that everyone knows:
I have decided to stand-down as ATS Short Story Contest Facilitator after this month's contest.
I was hoping that my health & energy levels would have improved after my short break, but unfortunately they have not.

I have really enjoyed being a small part of these contests and having the privilege to witness the blossoming of so many talented writers on our boards here.
I look forward to reading many MANY more stories, and maybe even submitting one or two of my own again in the future.
Many Thanks for having me!
G

As always... ENJOY this month's contest, GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!

edit on 6-9-2019 by Gordi The Drummer because: I wanted to add info

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You did an amazing job running the short story contests for as long as you did Gordi! I wish you well my dear friend.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

Another great contest, Gordi!
I'm sorry it'll be the last one you host, but please know ATS appreciates what you have done here!
Your time and effort to run them and keep them a popular part of ATS.

To Writers.....and Writers-to-be....
The contests will continue. Details to be announced at a later date.

GOOD LUCK with the Lottery Writing Contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
* Picks up pen....
Been awhile.
Gordi, you stepped up and took on a task that many wouldn't have.
I might not have participated in a long time but rest assured I've been here and reading.
Thank you for your time and effort keeping this forum afloat.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Although I've been gone a long time, I remember these contests and always enjoyed all the Entries! You've done Great Gordi. Best of Good luck to You in Your retirement of Head Hauncho here with these! Cheers My Friend!

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You've been great Gordi! Hopefully your last hosting will be a BIG turnout.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Thank you man; you've stood up for a long time, and crafted a place at ATS where we can all relax and engage our creative juices. Just think of all the stories, phrases and unique turns of phrase that you have inspired. AMAZing. Thank you

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
To Everyone:

Thank You VERY much for the lovely comments - it's very much appreciated.
Now, get writing! LOL

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

My entry,

The Winner

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Here is my submission:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Lotto Win and a Needed Imposter

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   

"Fortune and Glory...........!"

Here's my entry:

I just won the lottery! Now my life will change for the better, right?

It all started on a Wednesday, no it was Tuesday and I just came home from work but on my way home I stopped and got a lottery ticket. There wasn’t anything special or particular about this day. No birds singing, no bees buzzing, it was just the normal crowd of people that I see all of time. From the vagrants who seem to mill about on the streets to the people standing in front of stores waiting for you so they can ask you for money; these people are always around certain places where they know others will have money. I keep my head low so I don’t have to address any of these people. Some days I give money to certain people but not today. As I wait in line to get my lottery ticket I wonder if karma will strike down my chances of winning since I hadn’t given money to anyone outside of the store…..? I’m too tired to contemplate this possibility so when it’s my turn to purchase my ticket, I give my money and purchase a single entry into tonight’s lottery. Nothing special, just a single ticket as uneventful as the day had been so far. I am so uninspired that I don’t even focus on the Jackpot amount for tonight’s drawing. I only focus on getting my ticket and making it to my car before I have to come up with another excuse for the next familiar stranger who comes up to me for money.

The next day, I check my ticket because I didn’t even watch the drawing from the night before; I just assume that I didn’t win. When my ticket runs through the machine some weird sounds send alerts to my ears that something is happening. To my surprise I won! I Won! The galactic center aligns, the angels peek from behind the clouds, centaurs blow their horns, and flowers bloom! No one has ever given me anything! People only take from me as illustrated by the multiple beggars who confront me daily. I never win anything, yet I feel as if a lottery entity or being has chosen me to get a gift of this huge sum of money…! Fifty million!!! I’m rich! My uneventful day leads to a most wonderful, yet unexpected outcome. I was living in a fantasy land, a dream. Reality wakes me from that dream, however, like a bucket-splash of cold water on me while I’m still in the bed. First, were the taxes. I had to pay taxes on my lottery winnings. I understand taxes on property, tools, clothes but taxes on money?-oh the irony! Second, were all of my past responsibilities that I hadn’t completely paid off: school loans, IRS tax debts, other financial obligations. Then there were family members coming from all directions giving me the same guilt as the strangers who ask for money, only I couldn’t look down and ignore them. I didn’t have to be in a place where people would expect me to have money; everywhere I went I had money, and people could tell. It was almost as if people could smell the money on me. In the end, I won a lot of money but I lost a lot more. All the money did was to bring out the hidden negatives that had followed me around like those people begging for money. The negatives are always around, the money just revealed them to me. Oh, how I miss those uneventful days.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Pssst.... hey you.. make a thread and do not forget to put [THE END] and the tag into the title, like I did...also post a link to it here..

edit on 7-9-2019 by Oleandra88 because: like me became like I did

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 09:53 PM
link   

My submission (writer)

Lady Bountiful

Gordi, wish you well and hope someone else is up to the task but they have some rather large boots to fill!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm sorry that you are leaving as host. I'm waiting on a specific theme again. I wrote a short story many moons ago but was too chicken to enter it, but its still here, just waiting.

Hope everything is ok? Miss seeing you around here.

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Ummm...here’s my submission...writer...

Lotto

YouSir
edit on 7-9-2019 by YouSir because: The url was being recalcitrant...

posted on Sep, 7 2019 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Gordi, I am sorry to see you go, but if that decision makes you happy, then I am happy for you. :-)

Thank you for being a great host and playing such a big roll in the short story forum. I can honestly say that without your efforts it would not be what it is today.

Thank you for your time and effort on our behalf.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 12:42 AM
link   
First of all - thank you for everything you did with these writing contests! Even when I'm lurking, I still look forward to seeing the threads and the new themes each time they come up.

My entry (as a writer)
Going back to square one [WL2019]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join